NEED SOME ADVICE

SavaVIDude

Savatage Fanatic
Sep 13, 2004
Houston, Texas, USA, Earth
:cool:

I was listening to Iced Earth's Dark Saga this morning, and I just LOVE that shit!! Can anyone give me some lesser-known bands that are in that same phat, nasty, heavy, plain-assed fuck your ears groove??

Thanks in advance,
Chris :headbang:

SavaVIDude said:
I was listening to Iced Earth's Dark Saga this morning, and I just LOVE that shit!! Can anyone give me some lesser-known bands that are in that same phat, nasty, heavy, plain-assed fuck your ears groove??
Love that disc. Not sure what else I'd liken to it. I assume you have "Something Wicked This Way Comes"?

If you like the Barlow sound, the two bands that featured similar singers are Order of Nine and Archetype.

If the guotars are your thing, I'd simply point out that they sound like disc that Metallica could have released between "Master of Puppets" and "The Black Album".

Zod

You beat me to it ZOD i was going to reccommend Order of Nine, it kinda grows on you doesn't it.

Pyramaze51 said:
You beat me to it ZOD i was going to reccommend Order of Nine, it kinda grows on you doesn't it.
Yeah. I think DarkTide recommended them to me. Barlow was my favorite vocalist. Since he left the scene, I now find I gravitate towards vocalists that sound similar to him. That said, few discs deliver the kickassedness of "The Dark Saga". It's definitely one of my favorite lifting CDs.

Zod

General Zod said:
Yeah. I think DarkTide recommended them to me. Barlow was my favorite vocalist. Since he left the scene, I now find I gravitate towards vocalists that sound similar to him. That said, few discs deliver the kickassedness of "The Dark Saga". It's definitely one of my favorite lifting CDs.

Zod

Thanks for all the responses. Yes, I have Something Wicked. It's my fav IE CD. I saw them with Barlow a few years ago and they STILL haven't found the fucking doors to that place!! Saw them with Ripper; it was good, but not Barlow. And yup - guitars are DEFINITELY my thing!! Can't get enough. I LOVE IE keeps rhythm with the guitars more so than the drums!!

Do you have a particular CD for Order of Nine??

I am gonna try Glenn's suggestion, also.

Thanks,

SavaVIDude said:
T

I am gonna try Glenn's suggestion, also.

Thanks,

Cool. It's one of the best "unknown" discs out there. I would call it a progressive Iced Earth right down to the riffs and Barlowesqe vox (not as good though). However, they have some atmospheric passages that would make Gildenlow proud.

It's one of my faves.

Glenn H.

(Morgana) LeFay's "The Seventh Seal," if they count as a lesser-known band...I really need to check their new album out.

Dark Saga kicks my ass too. I bought Burnt Offerings hoping for the same quality, but I didn't get it. BO is good, but nowhere hear what Dark Saga is. I've been eyeing Something Wicked This Way Comes, thinking that one might be closer to DS style and quality.

NP: Nevermore - This Godless Endeavor

I've been a fan Iced Earth since 1991, shortly after their self-titled debut on Century Media. I've loved them all the way through Ripper Owens, but I must say that Barlow's era of Burnt Offerings/Dark Saga was their finest.

I want to check out some of these bands others have mentioned as well. But my most recent discovery:

go to their website and check out their sound. They are not an IE copy, but they have elements that remind me of Iced Earth. The vocalist sounds surprisingly like Barlow at times. I really took notice of them when Beyond Ear candy played them one night. I soon found myself requesting their songs, finding their site, their MySpace site, and their forums right hear on UM. Damn good stuff!

Another aforementioned band is Morgana Lefay. I've recently re-discovered them after hearing their more recent material on BEC. Grand Materia and S.O.S. are currently kicking my ASS! This music really takes me back to Savatage's early years - Sirens/Hall of the Mountain King era. And I haven't been this happy with metal in YEARS!

Still another pure metal band with no frills and no gimmicks is Overlorde. See my thread on why I believe they have the best Heavy Metal album of 2005.

Another band closer to the Nevermore sound, but still heavy as hell is Communic. Great thrashy riffs with energy and intensity. I highly recommend it.

~Hoyt.

As for straight-up metal, I've really dug Twisted Tower Dire's "Crest of the Martyrs."