Networking issue

Blitzkrieg

Master Exploder
For some reason, my netbook will not work with my home internet. It will connect through WiFi and will connect when plugged in with a LAN cable, but it simply will not recieve any data once connected. All other devices in my house work fine, and this netbook even works fine when I take it elsewhere, I just can't understand it. Also, when I turn the security settings off on my modem and run my network without any passwords, it will connect and work. So there is clearly something fishy going on, but I can't figure out what. I have just got off the phone with Club Telco (my net provider) support, and they couldn't figure it out either.

Any ideas?

OK, what OS are you using (win7, XP, vista, Mac, linux, etc)?

What devices do you have running and -including consoles, mobiles, tablets and all that.

What type of router is it? Have you e-mail the makers or checked their FAQ pages?

What kind of connection do you have (ADSL, 2+, etc)?

Do you have a firewall program on your computer running?

XP, which was reinstalled around the time I got this new connection, so am yet to have it working.

Another laptop, iphone, android phone and tablet all work fine.

D-link dsl-2730B. I've had a bit of a look, but I'm sure the problem is with the netbook.

Adsl 2+

No antivirus on there as I'm yet to get it online since the reinstall. Have tried turning windows firewall off and on but has no effect.

For some reason, my netbook will not work with my home internet. It will connect through WiFi and will connect when plugged in with a LAN cable, but it simply will not recieve any data once connected. All other devices in my house work fine, and this netbook even works fine when I take it elsewhere, I just can't understand it. Also, when I turn the security settings off on my modem and run my network without any passwords, it will connect and work. So there is clearly something fishy going on, but I can't figure out what. I have just got off the phone with Club Telco (my net provider) support, and they couldn't figure it out either.

Any ideas?

The part about the security settings in the modem has me thinking. What are these for exactly? When they are disabled the netbook can use the internet no probs, right?

If they are the wireless security settings, ie, it is possible the netbook doesn't support the security protocol the modem is using, then that shouldn't make any difference to the netbook being able to connect via lan cable.

You can start looking for address conflicts by opening command prompt on the netbook and typing ipconfig

the default gateway number should match the ip address for the modem, the subnet mask should be the same as the one on the modem, and the ip address should be different to all your other devices.

ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.................................... : Lappy
Primary DNS Suffix.......................... :
Node Type..................................... : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled.......................... : No
WINS Proxy Enabled........................ : No
DNS Suffix Search List..................... : Home

Ethernet adapter Wire Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.......... : Home
Description.................................... : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address............................. : 00-22-69-78-B5-DF
Dhcp Enabled................................. : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled................ : Yes
IP Address..................................... : 192.168.1.8
Subnet Mask.................................. : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway............................. : 192.168.1.1
DHCP Server.................................. : 192.168.1.1
DNS Servers.................................. : 192.168.1.1
Lease Obtained.............................. : 19 April 2012 21:43:33
Lease Expires................................. : 20 April 2012 21:43:33

Ethernet Adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State.................................. : Media Disconnected
Description................................... : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address............................ : 00-1E-68-D8-F0-C0

ping google.com

Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

tracert google.com

Unable to resolve target system name google.com

Next step would normally be to check your router for odd config or diagnostic logs. For now instead try:

ping 173.194.38.101
netsh interface ip set dns name="Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter" static 8.8.8.8
ipconfig /flushdns
tracert google.com

[edit] If you're able to log into your router (open a browser window and go to "192.168.1.1" - you'll probably need a login, if you're not sure what it is the look for the model number on the router and see if you can find the default login online eg google "linksys wrt-100 default password") you should also see if you can find what IP address(es) are assigned for DNS there. Your immediate issue looks like DNS resolution which is essentially how your computer knows how to find a physical address somewhere on the internet when you type in something like "google.com" or "ultimatemetal.com".

ping 173.194.38.101

Pinging 173.194.38.101 with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 173.194.38.101:
Packets: Sent = 4, Recieved = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss).

netsh interface ip set dns name="Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter" static 8.8.8.8

Invalid interface Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter specified.

ipconfig /flushdns

Windows IP Configuration

Successfully flushed the DNS Resolver Cache

tracert google.com

Uanble to log into modem through the netbook, but able to through the PC. The second option is the one that is selected here:

DNS Server Configuration

Obtain DNS info from a WAN interface:
WAN Interface selected:

Use the following DNS server addresses
Preferred DNS server : 202.136.45.245
Alternate DNS server : 202.136.45.246

2 more things to check before jumping to any drastic conclusions:

Can you connect the netbook directly to the router with an ethernet cable and repeat the above commands (ipconfig/ping/tracert) and post the results?

If you take the netbook to somewhere like Maccas with a different wifi access point are you able to connect normally? Or to rephrase, have you ever been able to get the netbook to connect to the internet via wifi anywhere?

I have been able to get it to connect via wifi EVERYWHERE else other than through this router, which I bought at the same time that I reinstalled XP on it to clean it up. I just created a wifi hotspot with my phone to check that it would connect to that, and it has done so fine. There is just something blocking the data from being recieved to the netbook when I am using any kind of secure network from this router. If I disable the wifi security passwords and try to connect, it works fine.

Here is the command results when connected with ethernet cable:

ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name.................................... : Lappy
Primary DNS Suffix.......................... :
Node Type..................................... : Unknown
IP Routing Enabled.......................... : No
WINS Proxy Enabled........................ : No

Ethernet adapter Wire Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix.......... :
Description.................................... : Realtek RTL8102E Family PCI-E Fast Ethernet NIC
Physical Address............................. : 00-1E-68-D8-F0-C0
Dhcp Enabled................................. : No
IP Address..................................... : 192.168.0.1
Subnet Mask.................................. : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway............................. :

Ethernet Adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Media State.................................. : Media Disconnected
Description................................... : Atheros AR5007EG Wireless Network Adapter
Physical Address............................ : 00-22-69-78-B5-DF

ping google.com

Ping request could not find host google.com. Please check the name and try again.

tracert google.com

Make sure your router isn't rejecting it because of MAC address filtering or something. This bit here is your MAC address:
Physical Address............................ : 00-22-69-78-B5-DF

My router is set up to reject anything from a mac address that I haven't specified, so that's also an option you might want to check.

(i.e. it could either be blocked, or it could be not allowed through. Those are similar, but different things)