Neurosis - The Eye of Every Storm

Krilons Resa

Jerry's married?!
Nov 7, 2002
Inside dorian's gym bag.
Holy shit. At first, I was rather dissappointed by this album. I thought it was good but was lacking something that I couldn't quite put my finger on. I guess it just didn't grab me like a couple previous efforts have. For example A Sun That Never Sets. That album moves my fucking soul and smashes it at the same time.

Well tonight I threw it on and gave it my full undivided attention and just got lost in it. Fuckin A, I was amazed. This album has finally "grabbed" me. These guys have proved to me once again that they are geniuses at making music that you can actually feel. Hats off to 'em!

I know a few of you were dissapointed as well. Dreamlord, for example. I'd give it a little more time if you haven't already. I'm going to have a lot of fun with this disc in the next few days. Maybe its just the buds but this album is fucking me up.

Like all Neurosis albums, this one needs time to be absorbed. I would never say a Neurosis album disappointed on first listen. This album is yet another classic from this band.

It sure is. I actually did give it time and did like it, but was dissappointed by it. I enjoyed the opening track a lot as well as the title track but it all wasn't magical until tonight, if yuou know what I mean.

I like it more than ASTNS. "Bridges" is absolutely stunning.

Still, this "soft" stuff the band is putting out isn't even in the same realm as Times of Grace, Souls at Zero, or Through Silver in Blood.

Bring back the brutality and the heavy!

There may be a time when I go completely Nutso for Neurosis, but honestly Through Silver in Blood is the only one I need for now (I love it).

Probably pick this up in 2011 wishing I would've bought it sooner. :loco:

One of my top ten of the year, and proof they can be just as devastating emotionally at lower volumes...and it sounds great on headphones. It does take a while to absorb everything, but tracks like Left To Wander and A Season In The Sky leave immedaite imprints.

Anybody that doesn't like the new direction Neurosis has been going for the past several years should check out interviews with the band. They make some good points about Neurosis always experimenting, and if they continued to be brutal . . . they wouldn't be experimenting anymore. Neurosis has always been in a league of their own. They continually try to experiment with styles they invented in the first place.

I understand they need to keep things fresh, but that doesn't mean I have to like it. With this new direction, it looks like they'll never reach the period from Souls at Zero up to Times of Grace. Those four albums are beyond phenomenal, and anything from the band before or after isn't in the same league.

Most bands would kill to unleash four music-defining mosters like those.

I still am having difficulty with it, I like it, but how much is the question. I did listen to it three months ago and I didnt care for it all too much, after listening to it this week my opinion has drastically changed. Maybe next time I will throw it on in a dark room with tequila, and it may become a all time favorite.

One Inch Man said:
Probably pick this up in 2011 wishing I would've bought it sooner. :loco:
YA HAR! Picked it up in 2005, and am digging the hell out of it.

The more I listen to these dudes the more I see them as very similar to Meshuggah in terms of mood and on a visceral level. Does that make sense? It does to me, it's the way the songs are constructed and what they do to my head.

I like some songs, and I prefer it to ASTNS, but doesn't come close to Times of Grace.

I await NAD's thoughts on Arcane Sun, though I'd rather he give it time than spout a premature judgment. :)

Yep, that one'll be soon. You already know I love that one song, so odds are I'll dig the rest. :loco:

I still prefer the album wit jarboe to this one and I love all of them back to souls at zero

I was disapointed but its like nine inch nails you can't pass judgement on nuerosis for at least a year

the fragile took me two years to fully appreciate
+now its my favorite

times of grace is still tops with nuerosis

i only have through silver in blood...i think it's ok, but i don't think i've given it the time it deserves either, i should go back and listen more. somewhat related, i really love the last 2 isis albums, and i've heard those guys are similar to neurosis...how accurate would you think that assertion is? i guess i hear it, but i haven't heard enough neurosis to make a good judgement...

There is a pretty huge connection between this album and Panopticon, when I had just heard Through Silver in Blood I didn't get the connection, but now it's obvious. This album is more sparse though.

Isis is Neurosis-lite. Neurosis is kinda too "out there" for a lot of people not into that kind of sound, and that's why we have Isis.

You'd probably be best checking out Times of Grace. It's more stripped down than TSIB, and most closely resembles what Isis did on Oceanic. If you like Panopticon, check out A Sun That Never Sets or Eye of Every Storm, though ToG, ASTNS, and EoES are far more experimental than the last two Isis albums.

I love both bands.