there doesn't appear to be an all-purpose Neurosis thread

UPDATE::
i saw these guys on saturday and i can now say that neurosis is the best live band ever. scott kelly looks like half hick half abominable snowman who is going to murder the entire audience. i had to dodge his guitar several times and i honestly wonder if he wanted to hit someone with it

setlist::
The Tide
The Doorway
Distill (new song)
Burning Flesh in the Year of the Pig
Cold Ascending
Prayer
Winter is not Enough (new song)
Rehumanize
Eye
Left To Wander
Crawl Back In
Times Of Grace

i think the setlist could have been better, but oh my god. the new stuff is AMAZING. distill was in a weird time and the first couple minutes were fucking fast for neurosis. sounded kind of slint influenced. winter is not enough had this completely ambient section in the middle of it.

they were both incredibly heavy

musically, they sounded like times of grace, but it FELT really morose like the eye of every storm. also seemed sort of influenced by oceanic (lol)

during times of grace things got so crazy somebody pushed me into scott kelly's mic stand (i was right in front of him) and it landed on his face. he bled everywhere. everyone tells me this is AWESOME but i feel kinda guilty.

grails were fantastic too. i need to get their new album

Thanks for sharing. Can't freakin' wait for the new stuff...

I was told that Scott Kelly is pretty impulsive, that and Made out of Babies' stage-diving didn't please him appearently . "Cold Ascending" WOW !
Roadburn festival here I come :kickass:

Normally cover art and a tracklisting doesn't warrant a post around these parts, but when you're the colossal motherfucking 800lb gorilla known as Neurosis, well hmm.

NR085_Neurosis_HonorFoundInDecay_Cover_lowres-e1346102310313.jpg

1. We All Rage In Gold
2. At The Well
3. My Heart For Deliverance
4. Bleeding The Pigs
5. Casting Of The Ages
6. All Is Found… In Time
7. Raise The Dawn

UPDATE::

during times of grace things got so crazy somebody pushed me into scott kelly's mic stand (i was right in front of him) and it landed on his face. he bled everywhere. everyone tells me this is AWESOME but i feel kinda guilty.

grails were fantastic too. i need to get their new album

Gotta call bullshit on this story. Scott Kelly bashes his head on the mic during every single Neurosis live performance. If you look at any interview with him on tour, he has many bruises on his forehead from multiple nights of doing this. Trying to claim it was "your fault" and that it was an "accident" is just plain bullshit.

At this rate I'm comprehending about 53% of Through Silver in Blood. It just keeps getting better, but what a dense album. Still haven't checked out the early stuff. Every other album is awesome in its own way, and even though A Sun That Never Sets is my favoUrite, Through Silver in Blood is just... kablamo. Almost too good, if such a thing were possible.

i wasnt that nuts over honor found in decay. maybe more listens.

over time, any else find eye of every storm to be one of the best neurosis releases?

The Eye of Every Storm is what finally hooked me to these dudes, so yes. I'm still wrapping my mind around Times of Grace, but I do like it. I only listen to that one if I haven't slept in 20+ hours for some reason. A Sun That Never Sets remains my #1, but I love it all really.

Honor Found in Decay and Given to the Rising are both really, really good albums. Unfortunately I never feel compelled to listen to them. But, I completely recognize that Neurosis are not a band that you choose to listen to. They sit in your brain, waiting dormant for years, and then nothing will do but hearing one of their releases.

Also I'm now at around 71% comprehension of Through Silver in Blood. Hopefully within the next decade I think I'll know everything about it, and then realize I've been wrong about it, all of it, since 1996. Along with the rest of my silly, silly existence.

A weak Neurosis album does not exist. Neurosis albums I never listen to do, and that's a sad mistake. Making a vow to blast The Eye of every Storm and A Sun that never Sets ere the day's gone.

Have you watched the DVD of A Sun That Never Sets? I've found that it brings the music into focused perspective. I'll throw that on at parties just to fuck with people. But I have fucked up friends, so it usually just encourages us to engage in the usual activities we would've found ourselves buried within anyhow.