there doesn't appear to be an all-purpose Neurosis thread

Nate The Great said:
I agree 100%.

Isis is great, and Cult of Luna has their moments, but fags that only listen to Isis are completely showing their inbred colors. Neurosis is probably THE most important extreme band in the US since Metallica. Just look at the movement they started.

I agree, liking Isis and dismissing Neurosis, a band that has accomplished the rare feat of both being hugely influential and staying one step ahead of their imitators, is absurd. My recommended gateway album for them would be Times of Grace. I think COL did improve on their last one, but they are still a long way from those two. Still haven't heard anything from the new Red Sparowes besides Howling Glory, will order soon.

I'd just like to add this thread by saying Neurosis is probably the best band on the planet.

"bridges" off tEOES is pretty fucking crucial. the heavy part at the end almost shares a vibe with ashes against the grain.

slowly, slowly getting there. slowly.

updated Neurosis ranking :

Through Silver in Blood
Enemy of the Sun (might end n°1)
Souls At Zero
Times of Grace
The eye of Every Storm
A Sun That Never Sets
Pain of Mind
Neurosis & Jarboe
The World as Law

A Sun That Never Sets is a PERFECT place to start with Neurosis IMO.

It's the soundtrack to drinking whiskey at 2am. Maybe smoke a few cigarettes and watch captain kangaroo.

EDIT: ...and when I say place to start, for me it's also the place to end. :loco: (Haven't bought into other Neurosis as much yet).

It's the soundtrack to drinking whiskey at 2am. Maybe smoke a few cigarettes and watch captain kangaroo.

EDIT: ...and when I say place to start, for me it's also the place to end. :loco: (Haven't bought into other Neurosis as much yet).

I agree that's where I started. Gotta love Steve Von Till solo acoustic efforts
too. Excellent stuff.

I'd follow the suggestions above my post, while stressing that Eye of Every Storm is also an excellent soundtrack to solitary drinking, something like No River To Take Me Home can't help but make you feel uttterly alone in the world...

I agree that's where I started. Gotta love Steve Von Till solo acoustic efforts
too. Excellent stuff.

this is true if you like the softer neurosis stuff. von till's stuff is a lot more barren, but still good.

Blood and Time, which features neurosis members, is essential for fans of soft neurosis

I will check Blood & Time then. Neurosis is playing in London in two days with Capricorns as opener o_O

Yeah JK, as J. said The eye of every storm or Times of Grace are what you need. From Times of Grace on, they were a lot more 'direct' and concise than before. Enemy of the Sun and Through Silver in Blood have that industrial, noisy vibe and ultra-textured sound that can only be fully absorbed after maybe.. 50 listens, if one doesn't give up before. Souls at Zero is also quite accessible, and 'metal'.

i'm seeing them in seattle on the 25th. i'm so excited !!!

but i don't know how to get down there yet. if anyone lives in vancouver and has a car and loves neurosis and doesn't mind strangers from the internet there is a free neurosis ticket in it for you.....:cry:

If you're only familiar with Times of Grace, keep your money. The simultaneaous [Grace + Times of Grace] experience won't be that spectacular to your ears, unfortunately. Contrary to the majority, I would even say that on its own, Grace isn't even the best Tribes of Neurot album. Adaptation and Survival or their last one Meridian are more interesting at first hand. I'm not crazy about Tribes of Neurot though.

I once had Times of Grace and Grace on a single mp3, I shall find it and cut you extracts so you figure by yourself.

UPDATE::
i saw these guys on saturday and i can now say that neurosis is the best live band ever. scott kelly looks like half hick half abominable snowman who is going to murder the entire audience. i had to dodge his guitar several times and i honestly wonder if he wanted to hit someone with it

setlist::
The Tide
The Doorway
Distill (new song)
Burning Flesh in the Year of the Pig
Cold Ascending
Prayer
Winter is not Enough (new song)
Rehumanize
Eye
Left To Wander
Crawl Back In
Times Of Grace

i think the setlist could have been better, but oh my god. the new stuff is AMAZING. distill was in a weird time and the first couple minutes were fucking fast for neurosis. sounded kind of slint influenced. winter is not enough had this completely ambient section in the middle of it.

they were both incredibly heavy

musically, they sounded like times of grace, but it FELT really morose like the eye of every storm. also seemed sort of influenced by oceanic (lol)

during times of grace things got so crazy somebody pushed me into scott kelly's mic stand (i was right in front of him) and it landed on his face. he bled everywhere. everyone tells me this is AWESOME but i feel kinda guilty.

grails were fantastic too. i need to get their new album