Nevermore POD?

Compression before massive distortion is really going to raise the noise floor, and the waveform of a distorted guitar is so close to a sqarewave (in theory) that it really shouldn't need compression for dynamic control. Unless you are going for a certain sound. Make sure that the attack time isn't set too fast!

Andy Sneap said:
Get a tube screamer and use with gain down, tone according to taste, and level at 0. Will tighten all that muddy low end nicely. Use gain from pedal tiny bit, then use mainly amp gain.

Mr. Sneap you are the man - you're talking about the ibanez pedal right? Just want to make sure before i go out to grab one, ya know, help me get that loomis sound :D you rule man thanks

Andy Sneap said:
check the link I posted, Maxon if you can, if not Ibanez TS9

yeah, thanks - lol i need to read the other posts more so i don't ask questions that have already been answered

In defense of the POD, it is a great little tool for getting loads of nice guitar sounds, but I agree that it is nigh on impossible to get a mixable guitar sound out of it right away.

The last mix I did, the guitar tracks were done using the 'Modern HiGain' and 'Rectified' amp models on the POD, and while the guitars sounded pretty nice on their own, when added to the full mix, the whole thing sounded like a big wall of bottom end.

However, by experimenting with EQ I achieved a very nice guitar sound indeed. If anyone records with PODs and would like to know what I did (it's nothing revolutionary or anything) I will post it up, but I don't wanna ramble if no-one's bothered...

I've just finished mixing my band's album which we used a POD on exclusively. The reason being, it was recorded in dribs and drabs over about 6 months, so for the sake of a consistent sound we used the POD - we were using the Rectified model. The guitars did require a lot of tweaking but I got them to a stage where they were sitting well in the mix. I'm not totally happy with the tone, but it does seem to work quite well in the mix with bass and drums.

I ended up rolling off a quite lot below 100Hz, a cut at 1000 Hz to allow the bass to come through (pushed bass at 1000Hz to fill the window), slightly pushed the guitars at 2.5 kHz to give it a bit more mid-range body, rolled off above about 9kHz and then finally ran them through the C4 using Andy's C4 settings.

TimPhallicide said:
However, by experimenting with EQ I achieved a very nice guitar sound indeed. If anyone records with PODs and would like to know what I did (it's nothing revolutionary or anything) I will post it up, but I don't wanna ramble if no-one's bothered...

Yeah - I'm interested Tim - please ramble away...

Weeeell

I put the guitars into the full mix, and got the best mix possible with the untreated POD sound. The result was quite muddy, with the bass not really being audible in its own right, and the kick drums also struggling to be heard (bear in mind the guitars and bass were tuned down to C). So, using the Focusrite Red 2 plugin on Pro Tools, I used the high pass filter to gradually roll off the low end of the guitar tracks, until the bass started to come through (my advice to anyone who wants to try this is roll off way too much then back the HPF up until you've got the right balance). Then, using the same plugin, on the fully parametric mid bands, I set the Q value as narrow as possible, rammed the boost up to maximum (+15dB in this case), then scanned using the frequency control to find the WORST possible sound (this is absolutely key). In doing this, I had essentially found and boosted the shitty frequencies...so then I reversed the boost to a maximum cut (-15dB) and the shittiness was removed.

This can be repeated for as many frequencies as you need, but I usually find that one or two cuts is enough. Obviously, you'll need to boost the level of the guitars after all this cutting, but once you do you'll find that you have a fairly devastating (in my opinion) guitar sound that allows the bass to be heard and sits nicely in the mix.

If you haven't got the gear or the knowhow to get good results with mics and amps, this is certinly a viable alternative.

Well I finally got my TS-9! Had to pay off the boogie, then the cab, then the road case, then the road trip, :D

Havent tried it yet but I went with an Ibanez for now with the option to trade up to the Maxon for $20 , but the guy claims at the store that the main diff now between the two is Maxons bypass jack, and apprently from what Ive read Ibanez have gone back to the original TS-9 schematics that everyone liked in the first place..

I still stand triumphantly behind the F.A.T. Multi-scream. 808 tone, with optional "Brown" and "Steroid" levels.

Andy, I suggest you check this mamajama out!

fatmulti.jpg

I've been very happy with my Ibanez TS808 reissue into my POD XT. The tones I've been getting with that and an EMG 85 pickup in the bridge position rival the best amped sounds IMO. I mic'd up a Krank Revolutoin with my TS808 and it sounded good, but in recorded tracks the POD XT beat it!

I tried and failed, however, to get usable tone from the POD Pro 2.0. The XT just kills it!

i was just looking at an electronics suppliers website for the price of the components you'd change to make a TS9 in an 808...

100 ohm resister = 29p
1k resister = 29p
RC4559 OPAMP chip = 29p

Total = 87p and 30 mins soldering to make it into an 808.

My dads getting me the parts and i'll do it later this week.

If all goes well i'll do it for anyone else that wants it done too hehe ^_^

edit: 87p is around a dollar 30c ish for you americans.

Moonlapse said:
Nice! Definately keeping that stored until I finish the Audio Engineering course, hehe.

EDIT: Hmm, on second thought it looks like any imbecile can make the mod... nice, haha.

Yeah the resister part is a piece of piss but that opamp chip is damn tight in and surrounded by other components... you'd have to be careful not to fry the surrounding parts whilst putting it in.