Nevermore POD?

I modded my friends ts-7 'sound-tank' pedal (it has the ts-9 circuit in there with a boost) to an 808 (bypassed the boost + added the normal 808 mod) and it sounded great.

Eventually he ended up getting a maxon re-issue actually hard-wired into his 5150 as he never plays without it (he uses an ADA Mp-1 for cleans).

Razorjack said:
I modded my friends ts-7 'sound-tank' pedal (it has the ts-9 circuit in there with a boost) to an 808 (bypassed the boost + added the normal 808 mod) and it sounded great.

Eventually he ended up getting a maxon re-issue actually hard-wired into his 5150 as he never plays without it (he uses an ADA Mp-1 for cleans).

That's a cool idea. I actually thought of something like this a while back. Imagine how many amps Peavey would sell if they made a 5150 with a switchable screamer circuit?

Yeah, it's definately a kickass idea. But then again people like their versatility which is why the TS come as stompboxes anyway. It would kick ass if Peavey put in the feature of switching between TS-808 and TS-9 circuitry though.

So which TS would you guys all personally recommend? Just the straight Maxon 808 re-issue or one of the mods done by Analogman and whatever other third parties?

Moonlapse said:
Yeah, it's definately a kickass idea. But then again people like their versatility which is why the TS come as stompboxes anyway. It would kick ass if Peavey put in the feature of switching between TS-808 and TS-9 circuitry though.

So which TS would you guys all personally recommend? Just the straight Maxon 808 re-issue or one of the mods done by Analogman and whatever other third parties?

The Maxon 808 reissue seems to be what Andy has recommended here in the recent past (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone.) I personaly have the Ibanez 808 reissue and I love it. I also have the TS9 and the 808 is noticeably smoother and has a fuller sound.

Andy recommended 820 not 808. And he said all would do the job but it is like 820>808>9.

so I tried the Ibanez TS-9, but the only difference I noticed through my Dual Rec was that there was uncontrolled feedback at all stops until I turn the pedal off..

Took it in and rented the Maxon OD-9 instead. I notice quite a bit of difference in the tone, the Maxon is definately sounding more present through the Boogie. But still with the feedback which sucks for metal especially during quick stops..

Not sure if Andy's suggestion of Level @ 0 was supposed to mean Level @ 10, but 0 isnt very loud haha!

Also the Level makes no diff after about 5.

The unit does seem to tighten up the tone, however very slightly.

Barnyard said:
so I tried the Ibanez TS-9, but the only difference I noticed through my Dual Rec was that there was uncontrolled feedback at all stops until I turn the pedal off..

Took it in and rented the Maxon OD-9 instead. I notice quite a bit of difference in the tone, the Maxon is definately sounding more present through the Boogie. But still with the feedback which sucks for metal especially during quick stops..

Not sure if Andy's suggestion of Level @ 0 was supposed to mean Level @ 10, but 0 isnt very loud haha!

Also the Level makes no diff after about 5.

The unit does seem to tighten up the tone, however very slightly.

Dual Rectifiers have this problem with or without a Screamer in front. Get a BOSS Noise Reduction pedal or a Rocktron Hush and you'll get those stops nice and clean!

Yeah, it could be the guitar. I have a rectifier, and I don't have any problems with feedback at all - but when my bandmate plugs his guitar into it, it screams and screams and the feedback is just terrible, and it's hard to get rid of even with a gate - and the problem is the same if he plays through other amps as well.

Try turning down the gain - in my opinion, gain above 2 o'clock is useless anyway......it's just BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ

Hewy80 said:
Funny I dont have any problems with my Recto & TS9.

Perhaps you have your gain set too high? Or your using a crappy guitar?
Just some thoughts

Come to think of it, this statement is based on my friend's Dual Rectifier, which is connected to a Randall 4x12. The guitar in question was a very nice custom job from a small but excellent luthier, however the pickups were passive Duncans... I got him a Boss Noise Gate for Christmas and he's never been happier.

I did have the chance to plug into that rig with my ESP equipped with EMG pickups and noticed the noise was reduced considerably (but still there.)

Im using EMG 81's. I was getting lots of feedback through the less punchy Orange channel on the Dual Rec ( Chan 2 ) but now that Ive jumped over to the typically nosier Red channel much of the squeal is reduced and is more of a controllable hum which I cut out using my TU-2 pedal as a switch..

Im definately preferring the MAxon over the Ibanez.

Barnyard said:
Im using EMG 81's. I was getting lots of feedback through the less punchy Orange channel on the Dual Rec ( Chan 2 ) but now that Ive jumped over to the typically nosier Red channel much of the squeal is reduced and is more of a controllable hum which I cut out using my TU-2 pedal as a switch..

Im definately preferring the MAxon over the Ibanez.

I've been using the Rectifier for years, and you're right, it can be a bit muddy for some stuff. I actually prefer a "faster" amp for heavy chopping, which could be Marshall Valvestate - the most underrated amp! I always use an EQ before the amp to get the tone I want for the special job. Be it Tube Screamer, which Andy and a lot of other people are using, or my more esoteric BOSS RGE-10 EQ's, which are great.

EMG-81's are the best! If you have problems with feedback, turn the volume down - use the vintage channel as well. The modern has too much "fizzz" gain. High volume doesn't necessarily mean good sound. Maybe if you wanna play AC/DC...

High volume doesn't necessarily mean good sound.

Yeah, I think that you can go only so far with decibels and distortion!!! :yell:
Almost every modern band push the sound live so much that it's not the actual performance you hear but the memory of the songs integrate what you hear.

It's because of this if I like better the gigs by bands I already know the repertoire well rather than the ones I don't know any song.