NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

The song's title should've been "Relentless Halo of Blood Forever Outtake feat. Santa Cruz on the Chorus". Rehashed and uninspired. The metal scene's come a long way since a song like this one would spark my interest. Oh well, as early as 2011 RRF already did nothing for me, what am I expecting almost 10 years later.

Last edited:
To add insult to injury the song's almost 5 minutes long. Are they obliged by the contract to release X minutes of music?

In fact the song's almost exactly as long as Downfall, Kissing the Shadows, Bodom Beach Terror. I was curious if my dislike for the track was me getting old or Alexi getting old. So I did the most basic objective measurement imaginable: how many different riffs?
  • This Road (2019): 5 riffs + solos, just your standard package of intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge. No outro (same as intro);
  • Downfall (1999 sheesh is that a long time ago): 6 + solos, way more elaborate solos at that;
  • Kissing the Shadows (2000): 7 + solos, but really there's more because it's a long ass solo. That's a song reportedly written while recording FTR, in studio, Alexi thinks of it as a simplistic one;
  • Bodom Beach Terror (2003): 7 + solos, proper outro on this song. Both BBT and KTS go through 5 different riffs in the opening minute alone. Talk about complexity and hooking the listener.
I rest my case :kickass:

Last edited:
Pretty much what we've come to expect from modern Bodom. Nothing too special but I don't mind it too much. With the way things go though, I don't see myself actively listening to the album too often. As background music when doing other stuff it's perfectly fine though.

Would have enjoyed a new twist though. Every album before sounds unique in it's own way (both bad and good) but this just has too much copy paste going on.

To add insult to injury the song's almost 5 minutes long. Are they obliged by the contract to release X minutes of music?

In fact the song's almost exactly as long as Downfall, Kissing the Shadows, Bodom Beach Terror. I was curious if my dislike for the track was me getting old or Alexi getting old. So I did the most basic objective measurement imaginable: how many different riffs?
  • This Road (2019): 5 riffs + solos, just your standard package of intro, verse, pre-chorus, chorus, bridge. No outro (same as intro);
  • Downfall (1999 sheesh is that a long time ago): 6 + solos, way more elaborate solos at that;
  • Kissing the Shadows (2000): 7 + solos, but really there's more because it's a long ass solo. That's a song reportedly written while recording FTR, in studio, Alexi thinks of it as a simplistic one;
  • Bodom Beach Terror (2003): 7 + solos, proper outro on this song. Both BBT and KTS go through 5 different riffs in the opening minute alone. Talk about complexity and hooking the listener.

So you must love Bodom Blue Moon, then?

Why? It's one of the stronger tracks on HOB and is enjoyable but I can't say I love it. If that was supposed to be a dig at my little analysis, don't forget that the quality of riffs is what ultimately matters, it is entirely subjective and something you can never measure. What I'm getting at is that there's a lot of filler in the song.

Why? It's one of the stronger tracks on HOB and is enjoyable but I can't say I love it. If that was supposed to be a dig at my little analysis, don't forget that the quality of riffs is what ultimately matters, it is entirely subjective and something you can never measure. What I'm getting at is that there's a lot of filler in the song.

So more riffs = a better song?

Fair enough if you don't like it - That's the beauty of music. Some of us do like it as well as the old stuff.

But your analysis is nonsense - You can't put music into a formula, it's personal opinion

Seemed like your primary criteria for a COB song is complexity and variance. I guess i'll just simply disagree on the quality of the riffs.

So more riffs = a better song?

Fair enough if you don't like it - That's the beauty of music. Some of us do like it as well as the old stuff.

But your analysis is nonsense - You can't put music into a formula, it's personal opinion
most people's personal opinion is that metal as a genre is horseshit, Bieber and Katy Perry's where it's at. Come at me bro. But anyway, I don't know how you both managed to read that in my message. What I said was that if the riffs are good is a better indicator of the song's quality. But also one which you can not possibly measure. The quantity you can measure easily and you can roughly gauge a song's diversity with it. There's nothing in This Road that warrants its length.

most people's personal opinion is that metal as a genre is horseshit, Bieber and Katy Perry's where it's at. Come at me bro. But anyway, I don't know how you both managed to read that in my message. What I said was that if the riffs are good is a better indicator of the song's quality. But also one which you can not possibly measure. The quantity you can measure easily and you can roughly gauge a song's diversity with it.

If people want to listen to Justin Bieber or Katy Perry then they can. Who cares?
And again a good riff all depends on opinion... It was you posting a stupid ass formula about length and amount of solos

Oh fuck off with this nonsense. It was a sarcastic remark to your lack of comprehension, because you're arguing something I never claimed. But yeah, the forum's dead because the forum age of the internet is long gone, as is the golden era of COB. If they released good music there'd be more people to appreciate it.

Kalmah was first!

1:40 This Road - COB

1:33 One Of Fail - Kalmah

Somehow is this Song nothing special, i need to listen a few times more...but i dont fuckin know...i also waited so freaking on the Solo in every new Song, this is more meh...

''A CoB song must have X riffs and x solos and they must be written in a way that caters to me personally, and comparing song-lengths to 20 year old songs that I cherry-picked has huge relevance to how I judge a song'' - rj rl 2019

Great, more wankers who can't read.

You can not argue anything art-related objectively, is that bit fucking clear? Apparently me explicitly pointing that out three times ain't enough for some folks. Smartasses like you still show up and go "that's just like your opinion man". Well no shit Sherlock. That's why I refered to one of a few things you can actually measure. I never claimed more riffs equals better song. I claimed that the less riffs there are, the shorter the song must be. It's no rocket science, unless you're super thick, which you are.

I claimed that the less riffs there are, the shorter the song must be. It's no rocket science, unless you're super thick, which you are.
100% false, completely depends on the style of the band. It could be a repeated groove. Many bands in the black metal genre is a fine example of usually very few riffs but many songs are very long. Is the chance that the more different riffs a song has, the song is usually longer? Some times maybe, but X amount of riffs doesn't in any way decide whether the song is short or long.

Reactions: AlixSB
100% fucking true. Black metal has few riffs because the musicians can't compose to save their lives, if we're talking old-school BM. Black metal wasn't about the music, it's about the message. Notice how diverse black metal became once it became an art form instead of a platform for extremists. Sigh, Emperor (Ihsahn), Rotting Christ all drifted away from what most people associate with BM exactly because it's archaic and primitive. If BM was artistically valid it wouldn't have vanished. But alas, repetitive tremolo picking of entire fucking chords got old real quick.

Any musical piece benefits from diversity UNLESS it specifically aims to create an atmosphere using repetitive themes. But you'd be hard pressed to name many genres that do that, especially within metal. Ambient does that, funeral doom does that but who's talking about those? COB is supposed to be a modern take on melodic death metal. Which it fails to be consistently for many years now.

Last edited:
I mean I agree with him. It’s not just having less riffs, it’s having less diversity. You can hear it by listening to the drums, literally 90% of the song is the same exact pattern on repeat. The guitars are basically straight 16th notes the entire song through, of basically the same riff, up to the chorus. Where’s the interesting parts? Where are the hooks? What grabs you or impresses you? What’s creative about the song at all honestly?

Grass and clover had the same problem. Intro, main riff, intro repeated, main riff, chorus (which was the intro again), solo section, chorus (which was the intro again).
The point he’s making is a serious lack of creativity.

Bodom Beach Terror is diverse as hell. Intro, main riff, bridge, pre chorus, chorus, intro, main riff, pre solo, solo, chorus, pre outro, outro. Nearly all of those being completely different riffs/melodies that sounded completely original. The fact so many different ideas are thrown into one song shows he had a ton of creativity to use. That’s not the case with these new songs, and it shows in the lack of differing riffs.

For both new songs so far it sounds like he had one good idea and was like “well, gotta stretch this into 5 minutes somehow”.

Reactions: rj rl and COB-666