NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

They are all excellent guitarist, I'll give you that. But they all feel pretty soulless (remind me a lot of what I feel when listening to guys like Andy James who are beasts at the guitar but lack this little something). So I still wouldn't put them anywhere close the stature of a man like Teemu.

People can be great, technical shredders but that doesn't mean they write good music and solos. I personally get bored instantly when a guitar solo goes into the million mile per hour tap session that lasts way too long.

Yep, per 100 good musicians there is only 1 unforgettable composer. But there's the fact not many will satisfy your particular taste in music. One composer only has to tell his story of life in the music. One unforgettable song be it any style of music should make a composer worth existing. Then again, a face-melting solo does require musicianship as well, to make it flourishing and exciting, anticipating and climatic. It's just a faster form of music, or the point when driving a car too fast beyond its controllability, it's too fast sometimes to sound melodic even when slowed down, but it's thrilling.

Last edited:
They are all excellent guitarist, I'll give you that. But they all feel pretty soulless (remind me a lot of what I feel when listening to guys like Andy James who are beasts at the guitar but lack this little something)
funny cause I felt the same about the Teemu guy. It's all personal preferences.
ps: it's not a dig at you or something, if you're wondering. Just giving a different perspective. My overall sentiments are that Alexi is no longer a guitar god he used to be and there's a lot of people who make it very difficult for his new solos to stand out in today's metal.

Last edited:
It's some kind of weird that Alexis overall composing skills are better than 10 years ago but he's the only guy I know who, in the same time, went from a solo god into a 08/15 lead guitarist who absolutely lost all of what he was famous for - good solos.

Of course, there are worse solos in the older albums than the two we got so far, but it's the first time, that he recycled old stuff. C'mon - UGAC is a 50% rip-off of Next in line and the ending of This Road solo is almost exactly the same as the ending of Ugly and the middle part is also almost exactly the same as the middle part of Morrigan.

Joe Haley song: Wtf is wrong with that guitar neck?! How can one play on this?! Besides that - awesome song

The first guy also uses fanned frets. The idea is to have access to lower (and higher) notes by increasing (decreasing for thinner strings) the scale length. It's like baritone but the idea's expanded further. Helps with intonation too. Supposedly you get used to it fairly quickly, I'd love to try it just for the hell of it but I don't know anyone who uses fanned frets in my area.

Alexi looks to be a self-destructing type with clear mental issues, add to that his drinking and you end up with just no drive nor time for proper practice. His live performances scream lack of practice. His picking hand especially is very sloppy nowadays, he can just pick a wrong string for half the duration of a solo.

I have a feeling that this promo-thing from Nuclear Blast is absolute bullshit...Album is already more than a half year mixed and mastered...they will for sure change again their Label.

lol wasn't online quite a while because I was pretty busy, but it's never too late to say that "This Road" is pretty cool but somehow I can't get into the chorus of the song. The solos are great and I really enjoy the keys during the verse but overall I prefer UGAC.. sorry guys :) I'm also that kind of guy who thinks Suicide Bomber is one of the best songs since the HCDR album, but nevermind..

Glass Houses sound very promising, the vocals are insane and I love the riff. Hopefully there are some more oldschoolish songs on the album. Isn't today the day we get the trailer for Hecate's Nightmare ? I'm hyped for that one by the title alone :heh:

I'm kinda sad now that it looks like we have to wait another day and will only get 2 new Track by Tracks this week... I hope I'm wrong