NEW ALBUM Q42 017/Q1 2018

Allright. I've been listening to the album some 3-4 times. And I, I don't think I like it...
Let me explain. The music is good, the album is good, the songs are good. You know that feeling you get when you listen to something that is good, it just doesn't make you dig. It doesn't get you going, it doesn't give you any emotion, it's just there.

This is the 5th album in a row that I've listened to the first week after release to never listen to it again apart from a few songs.
From Blooddrunk it was ''Banned from Heaven'',
from RRF it was none,
from HoB it was the cover of ''Sleeping in My Car'',
from IWC it's ''All for Nothing''.
Now from Hexed it's going to be ''Soon Departed'' which is close to a masterpiece.

I was hyped for this one and I wanted to like it more.
It's harsh, but then again I've been losing interest in metal for quite a few years now and it doesn't really excite me anymore.

Also Arcane, it "couln't be better" than what we can get with today's technology, my gear and my knowledge of music. Maybe there are better albums out there, there actually probably are. But within everything I have ever listened to, only 2 albums made it to the 1-0/10. Hate Crew Deathroll and Hexed, but the latter outdid the former in term of production. So maybe the next album will outdo Hexed (I really hope it does!).

The production on this album is ok, there’s still issues with drums being all over the place. The bass barely there etc.

In my opinion Gojiras - the way of all flesh is still the best production I’ve ever heard. That’s still leaps and bounds above everything else

Hexed is much better than IWC & RRF.

1. Say Never Look Back ~8/10 I love this song. Best on the album for me.
2. Hecate's Nightmare ~7/10
3. Under Grass and Clover 7/10 I don't know why, but i like it. :)
4.(?) Knuckleduster 7/10 Well, Knuckleduster... but yeah, original is better.
5. Hidden Track 7/10 Hidden track is back (after "Touch Like Angel Of Death" ?) and it's really good "song".
6. Kick in a Spleen 7/10
7. Glass Houses 7/10 First half of the song is better...
8. Soon Departed 7/10 I don't like the slow songs, but this is good. Maybe better than "Dead Man's Hand on You".
9. Hexed 6.8/10 Hexed has some good ideas, but maybe it could be better.
10. Relapse 6.8/10 (maybe...)
11. Platitudes & BW 6/10 This song is not bad, but it's not Bodom. :/
12. This Road 5/10 I don't like it...
13. Knuckleduster (Remix) -10/10 ...

Not sure if this is complete, feels kind of shot. but someone updated setlist.fm
I'm surprised they don't play the new title track, then again, album has only been out for a week.
Really hyped WNGF and Peace.., -not sure if they've ever played it live besides the live dvd?

1.Sixpounder
2.Under Grass and Clover
3.In Your Face
4.This Road
5.Bodom Beach Terror
6.Everytime I Die
7.Platitudes and Barren Words
8.We're Not Gonna Fall
9.I Worship Chaos
10.Angels Don't Kill
11.If You Want Peace... Prepare for War
12.Hate Me!
13.Downfall

Reactions: COB-666
Really hyped WNGF and Peace.., -not sure if they've ever played it live besides the live dvd?

https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/children-of-bodom/2018/zemppi-areena-kempele-finland-3397b0c9.html

4b73672cec.jpg

:)

Reactions: mrs.bodOm
That's my main problem with the setlist, hope on their European run they play atleast 5 songs from Hexed (UGAC, Platitudes, Spleen, Glass Houses and Say Never Look Back would be appreciated). I know most people want to year the old stuff but it's mostly the same stuff... I don't blame them for playing Hate Me or Downfall but I start getting sick of Angels ^^

The choices of songs from Hexed is disappointing but not surprising. I was hoping they'd at least play kick in the spleen, it would be a good way to open a show. My hope is that by the time they play the NYC show that I'm going to, the crowd's they are playing to are bored half way through UGAC and they replace it with one of the better songs from Hexed. This road is a good song but I don't think it's a great choice for a live song because while it's good, it doesn't really have great energy or headbanging moments. PABW only has the melody going for it.

I think Kick in the spleen is a very easy choice to play live. It's exciting, fast, and short. Hexed probably won't happen because it's too long-winded with the back to back verse and chorus. Angels Don't Kill is definitely a better song than Soon Departed but Soon Departed is fresher. I think they should replace ADK with SD. Hecate's is also a single now so if that would also be a better choice to play live.

I would agree to replace ADK with Soon Departed and This Road with Hecates Nightmare. Then get out of the 90min comfort zone and add Kick in the Spleen and we already have a nice 14 songs setlist :)

I wonder if we ever get to hear Northern Comfort live

Last edited:
I do have hope that they do something special to celebrate 20 year of Follow The Reaper :D maybe playing the full album + 5-6 other songs wouldn't be too bad, but at the moment I just want a cool Hexed Eu tour.

On the 20th Anniversary and the HoB tour they played 16-17 songs

Reactions: COB-666
Going tonight in Montreal, this will be my 17 th CoB show. I was all excited about it until I saw that lame setlist this morning. I don't know how you guys come up with 90 minutes, the playlist of this show is 54 fucking minutes. 54 !!! with the banter between songs it will be an hour and 10 minutes max.

The attendance for them is declining fast, at least here in Montreal where they used to play in front of 2300 people.Since a few tours they have downsized to 800-900. With setlist like that it certainly won't help... they are young, it was the first show of the tour, so unless someone is sick and they had to cut it short it's beyond me why they had such a short set. Mind me, it's a good one but we need at least 6 more songs on that setlist, with preferably 2 or 3 more off the new album. Personaly I would have love the title track and Soon Departed.

I have missed them only one time since 2004 here in Montreal (that time where they played with the awful Black Label Society) but for the first time I regret buying a ticket. I know once there I'll have a great time but it's the last time I buy my ticket before knowing the setlist first...

Cheers !
PowerMaiden

Last edited:
Reactions: Woffer
but it's the last time I buy my ticket before knowing the setlist first...
PowerMaiden

Most of their recent shows in Montreal sell out, at least for the past few years. But yeah, I get the same feel. I really hope the setlist.fm list isn't complete. If you look at Wolfheart's set(fucking love them) its on 3 songs long, or ~20mins, lol.

getting kind of tired of them playing IYF, ADK, Hate me. Also I really like HCDR as a closing song as opposed to Downfall.

Cheers, see ya at the show tonight.