New blog from Mikael on his myspace

That friend ought to be Steven Wilson = )

Sounds really cool. I wonder what songs they're covering ...

Exactly what I was thinking, unless its Portnoy.

And, if Mikael says it the best Opeth album, that's good. He's biased, but he also has exquisite taste and a world-class record collection.

I'm really excited about this next Opeth album. It sounds more promising every time Mike talks about it.
As for covers - I think we've already talked about this lately, and I believe I mentioned how great it would be for Mike to cover Metallica's Welcome Home (Sanitarium), with him lending the verses some feeling with his beautiful voice and giving the choruses the murderous growl he's so well known for. That would kick some serious metal ass.
And, of course, The Road to Mandalay by Robbie Williams.

The friend is Wilson most probably (if they are backing vocals), or perhaps Dan Swano.. because Dan supposedly 'lost his ability to growl'.. if I'm correct.

Looking forward as always.

because Dan supposedly 'lost his ability to growl'.. if I'm correct.

listen to the new winds records (track 3, the grand design) and realise how wrong you are :D also dan did backing growls on eaten from bloodbath's nightmares made flesh and on the wacken gig. oh and some growls on threshold's dead reckoning album.

he had lost it after moontower which he did in 1998. then when he made crimson II in 2003 he started experimenting with it again, though they sound different now.

what's up with mathematics in australia?
11 songs, 3 of them are covers.
so 11-3=8 originals
1 left off
so 8-1=7 songs on the new album.

seems not so difficult to understand... :p

... i didnt say the covers wouldnt be on the album... SO:

11 songs, 3 of them are covers.
so 11-3=8 originals
1 left off
8-1=7
so 7+3 covers = 10 (7 originals and 3 covers)

Sounds like Axe is really working hard to impress us, glad things are moving along accordingly. I really hope they nail a good guitar sound on this one, and also curious about how keys will be utilized.

That's what I was thinking. He's not gonna say "well, this release won't be that great, but you should buy it anyway". Of course, it really doesn't matter what he says, I know it will dominate everything else released next year :headbang:

The only time I've ever heard an artist talk like that was Devin Townsend when he was doing interviews for The New Black. He said something like, "yeah, it's a decent album but it's no City; it's ok".

That was pretty refreshing to hear that instead of the standard - "the album is heavier this time but also very melodic" - that you hear from every f'n metal artist as they are plugging their new stuff.

Speaking of Devin, it would be cool if he was the friend...

Hey....how the hell did all these positive people end up here? Where are all the complainers? :lol: It's really refreshing to see this enthusiasm!

Hey....how the hell did all these positive people end up here? Where are all the complainers? :lol: It's really refreshing to see this enthusiasm!

The new album will suck and be full of Slipknotesk downtuned chug riffing and emo vox. Opeth hasn't been good since Orchid, so they should just kill themselves and stop subjecting me to their pop garbage. :heh:

The new album will suck and be full of Slipknotesk downtuned chug riffing and emo vox. Opeth hasn't been good since Orchid, so they should just kill themselves and stop subjecting me to their pop garbage. :heh:

Not to mention this is all completely Roadrunner's fault :err: