new cd??

DIVINE WINGS OF MORE TRAGEDY!

I hope for something new. One more CD, then it's time for Accolade III (if Romeo's feeling inspired). If it's done for the sake of sequelizing, there's no point. We all know the Unforgiven I, II, and III are not a masterly-crafted, truly-inspired trilogy.

Yeah but The Accolade and Accolade II are both excellent so they can't be compared to The Unforgivens.

True, but I'd hate to see another one just for the sake of it. The Accolades are some of my favorite SX, but I see no need for another one right now. Especially since this album we'll probably be equally as heavy as Paradise Lost (or more so), we need the soft symphonic style for a new Accolade and they don't seem to be keen on that sound at the moment.

I feel it's appropriate to post this again

Code:
Fate's Design (73:15)

1. Quo Fata Ferunt (1:06)
2. Invocation (The Grand Inferno) (4:30)
3. From Within the Fire (5:12)
4. Of Light and Lies (3:02)
5. The Savage (6:03)
6. Sea of Revenge (Eye for an Eye) (5:46)
7. Death of Seduction (4:24)
8. The Fool's Odyssey (8:14)
9. Fate's Design (18:34)
	Part   I: King Hroðgar (Prologue)
	Part  II: The Soul Devourer
	Part III: Mother of the Sea
	Part  IV: Smoke and the Dragon
	Part   V: Beowulf's Will (Epilogue)
10. Awakenings II (10:12)
11. The New Masquerade (Japanese bonustrack) (6:12)

I feel it's appropriate to post this again

Code:
Fate's Design (73:15)

1. Quo Fata Ferunt (1:06)
2. Invocation (The Grand Inferno) (4:30)
3. From Within the Fire (5:12)
4. Of Light and Lies (3:02)
5. The Savage (6:03)
6. Sea of Revenge (Eye for an Eye) (5:46)
7. Death of Seduction (4:24)
8. The Fool's Odyssey (8:14)
9. Fate's Design (18:34)
	Part   I: King Hroðgar (Prologue)
	Part  II: The Soul Devourer
	Part III: Mother of the Sea
	Part  IV: Smoke and the Dragon
	Part   V: Beowulf's Will (Epilogue)
10. Awakenings II (10:12)
11. The New Masquerade (Japanese bonustrack) (6:12)

:lol:

Death of Seduction!
The New Masquerade!

I remember that, I hope the new album doesn't get leaked before release again. In my opinion there is no way the release of the next album can go as bad as Paradise Lost. So that right there is already a + on the album. I could care less if they get heavier, I just want to see those epic progressive elements that have become somewhat non existent. I mean, if Opeth can do it, Symphony X can do it! As long as it doesn't get even more Dragon Force sounding i'm happy lol...

Spoke to Jason Rullo at NAMM this past weekend. He said he's hoping to start tracking drums next month. He said that this is going to be a very dynamic record. A little grittier, and heavier than Paradise Lost, but also very progressive, and very dynamic. I could tell he's very excited about it. And dammit, I am now too...

Nice catch. Gives some food for thought on a possible album ETA.

So he's probably going to do the drums over the demo takes, and then the other guys will do the final instrumental takes over that, and then the vocals? Or maybe they do it all separately; usually though, the drums are more towards the beginning of the process.

How long does mastering and production usually take?

Nice catch. Gives some food for thought on a possible album ETA.

So he's probably going to do the drums over the demo takes, and then the other guys will do the final instrumental takes over that, and then the vocals? Or maybe they do it all separately; usually though, the drums are more towards the beginning of the process.

How long does mastering and production usually take?

Depends on whether you are a normal musician or Jari Mäenpää.

True, but I'd hate to see another one just for the sake of it. The Accolades are some of my favorite SX, but I see no need for another one right now. Especially since this album we'll probably be equally as heavy as Paradise Lost (or more so), we need the soft symphonic style for a new Accolade and they don't seem to be keen on that sound at the moment.

Yes, but both of the existing songs are very different as it is. You could have said "we need the soft symphonic style" before Odyssey came out, and have been surprised at how Accolade II ended up. Overall style of the album be damned: that doesn't mean the entire thing will be consistent (see: PL's title track) and even if the next Accolade was heavier, so what? It's all about the execution. My biggest gripe with PL was that it just didn't have a very dynamic range. The soundscape was appallingly flat for SX. So they had the riffs, the speed, the technicality, and the production value, but it failed to be as emotionally engaging as their other stuff for this reason. That's all I want from the next one, and if it's more dynamic, it's fit for Accolade songwriting.

Or he could just as well wait, too. I'm not saying we need this NOW: merely that I don't think the direction of the album should be what's keeping it.

My biggest gripe with PL was that it just didn't have a very dynamic range. The soundscape was appallingly flat for SX

Agreed. Nonstop full blast does not do it for me. Even in the title track, it's like turning subtlety into SUBTLETY, you know? Loudness don't mean shit if there ain't no quiet. I liked the pause in Domination, though, for example - it gave the explosion a lot more punch.

Agreed. Nonstop full blast does not do it for me. Even in the title track, it's like turning subtlety into SUBTLETY, you know? Loudness don't mean shit if there ain't no quiet. I liked the pause in Domination, though, for example - it gave the explosion a lot more punch.

Good example with Domination. The Serpent's Kiss got it a lot better too, but still. If I had sum it up to almost insultingly simple terms and say what makes music compelling in one word, it would be: contrast.

And that's why you're right: the heavy shit was in all the other albums too, but here there is no contrast to anchor it with. It's the same reason it's fucking awesome when Pinella plays some sparkily sounding synth over crunchy guitar. CONTRAST.

As for PL's title track. I find the song beautiful for the first minute, but it starts to get buried under its own notes as it wanes on, only occasionally hitting a good mark (like the guitar before the Divine Wings-grade "to paradise"). And then it fades out. The last thing I expected after The Odyssey was a title track with a fade-out ending.

the whole direction the band went in for this album screamed dragon force. 'Set the world on fire' was perhaps the most predictable garbage the band has ever came out with, there was nothing progressive about it! It was your same speedy guitar riffs, with your same old boring vocal melodies everyone else does. The only thing that made it a step up from Dragonforce is that symphony x rock, and can actually play an instrument!

EDIT: Hell, the entire way through that song I was expecting them to start singing about dragons! '"fly with me-for ever higher, and with these wings we'll set the world on fire"...I mean come on, Paradise Lost reached a new level of cheese, even for symphony x! Which is enjoyed by many, and hated by many. I personally dig the album, but I can't help but feel wtf where they thinking, they became very plain, very predictable, and very power metal dragonforce sounding. I kept wondering when Herman Li would pop in for a guest appearance to play a pac-man riff!

RE-EDIT: More importantly, despite what I think they do or don't sound like. Paradise Lost left out major Symphony X elements, everything that makes them as a band unique or special was almost non-apparent on this album. Was it a solid album? sure... But was it any different, or more special than any other of the crap in the over saturated market? no...