new CLA video interview

I thought this was rather boring (no interesting info), annoying (the interviewer) and badly made (sound quality).

Ermz: who really mixes with a limiter on the masterbus? Unless it's for quick and dirty ghetto mastering?

Can someone explain to me the term "bending the console" ? I still dont get it : D

Sort of an intangible thing and hence, hard to describe. Basically, it's driving the console, finding it's sweet spot (via proper gain staging and blah blah) and the resulting saturation and analog goodness that happens to the mix.

CLA put it best, he uses the console almost as an instrument, so, akin to some tasteful vibrato in the middle of a solo, perhaps?

IDK, lol.

I usually have Massey L2007 on the master and compare the balances with and without because its so very different.

CLA mixes fairly hot and with loads of compression. He did say he normalizes the files before sending them for approval, which doesn't change the sound just makes the peaks absolute 0dB.

What the client gets for aproval is the same as what the mastering engineer would get, only normalized. 99% of everyone else will put a limiter on the master before the mix leaves for approval or it won't sound finished.

If you watch the first Roadrunner interview with him about the Megadeth record, Andy self-admittedly does.
well, Andy didn't just mix the album, he mastered it as well, and that's an entirely different scenario than what we are discussing in this thread i believe.

I know andy does it, but if im going to put a limiter on the 2 bus, I wont do it untill im happy with everything else, and then only tweak from there rather than mixing through it from the start. but tbh everyone has their own way and should do what works for them.
sure, if what works for you is limiting your mixes, and you don't mind clients calling you up after you've turned them in because the mastering engineer has asked for un-limited versions, then you're on the right track. :loco: