new dream theater

Maybe they see virtuosity like karate. You learn it, only to never use it.

LOL, but how is that possible....you spend 20 odd years working your balls off on your instrument only to be confronted later down the line by people who hate lead breaks/riffs with more than 3 notes in it etc :erk: Then say your "boring" or your songwriting ability has been hindered by the fact youve practiced your balls off for 20 years....I think its mad personally! No offence if your one of those people, im not calling :)
:lol:

No offence if your one of those people, im not calling :):lol:

No offense at all. My tastes run the gambit of highly complex to stripped down tunes. I personally enjoy Dream Theaters music and respect their dedication to their instruments.

No offense at all. My tastes run the gambit of highly complex to stripped down tunes. I personally enjoy Dream Theaters music and respect their dedication to their instruments.

Ahh I was just saying that too people in general who might have those views about DT :) Great bunch of guys! :kickass:

Dude , no offense , personal tastes aside and all...

How could you say something like that about an album like Awake?:OMG:

The Shred is right, pure sarcasm. Dream Theater is the band that got me into metal, and Petrucci's playing is what got me so obsessed with tone and technique when I was starting to get serious about guitar. That album, aside from possibly causing a couple of near-nervous-breakdowns, is one of the best things I ever got my hands on. When I hear people slamming that album for being too technical and not written well I just get to laugh as I play it and they can't find the useless shred that doesn't have a place.

Jeff

What I really like is that they always come up with a different style/sound/approach for each record. Although I dont like some albums I still think it's way cooler than releasing the same album over and over again as many bands. So I never understood people complaining about album xyz and saying it does not sound like DT, etc. They never did one thing for more than one record. That said I like Awake and TOT the most and I think I will like the new one as well if the other songs go in the direction of "the dark eternal night".