Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

Best production for DT in a long time (maybe ever). I'm really digging the cd so far, but I'm still on the first song hehe.

I saw DT yesterday in Gelsenkirchen (Germany). The show was really great! They only played 1 track from the new album and a lot from Awake and Images & Words. Great show, great sound and excellent choice of songs.
After a period of being DT-tired, I really like them again :)

I like this album so far, I think the songs are cool and the sound is good.

Dream Theater to me will never touch the first few albums but nor should they be expected to stay the same and re-define a genre with each album. I'll always respect them and be a fan of thier work.

Sure maybe they should get Sherinian back and take away Portnoy's mic but hey...:heh:

I'm liking it a lot more on the second listen. Awesome production.
But they do need to keep Portnoy from grunting and growling, he's good for harmonizing and stuff, not for growling.
Need better lyrics, need to stop Rudess' noisy keyboard solo's.
I also can't believe Portnoy blast-beats at the end of 'A nightmare to remember', no need for that, i just think
he did it to show he can (which is cool), but it does not fit DT at all.

I'm liking it so far - took a spin or two to sink in, but that tends to be the case with DT for me. I'll be seeing them on August 5th - hoping it's a great show.

Jind

Tried again tonight, I think something is wrong when you listen Wither and think that it's the best song of the album and start to think, that FII was not that bad songwise overall. Well, I don't like the sound on FII but there sure are some good SONGS on it, just leave the shitty prog out of it (like the last song). The prog-material was awesome before that album, but FII -> I'm only wanting pop-songs from them. I quess Kevin Moore really was the mastermind of all this, a Change of Seasons was awesome piece, but mostly done in the days of Kevin anyway.

And damn that I can't even join that MP-board, I strongly hate these Pray for my uncle/dog, Thanks MIKE! etc etc topics there, so I'd be banned within minutes by saying how thing really are. I mean, who the fuck cares about how your baby looks like, how your dog has died or how Mike is awesome and his vocals are near to perfection...fanboys, aaargghh :D Then you'd log there and post some personal opinions and some smartass says you're nothing, because you're a newbie (or whatta fuck it is...) and although you've know DT is since I&W days, you haven't logged to this piece of ass-kissing club, you must know nothing compared to some guy who just heard some awesome prog few days ago. :D

Anyway, A Change of Seasons is a great piece of music. Too bad the "music" is not that important to them these days...

Stating the Kevin Moore was the mastermind behind those early albums is making more and more sense as time goes on. There was something magical about what he was doing which wasn't always just synced with John. Kevin did a lot of really interesting things underneath those rhythms, and some of his melodies were beautiful and very memorable. It's just very interesting they haven't been able to come close to that magic that were on those few first albums. And I'm not talking about a million notes per second. I'm sooo bored of that shit from Dream Theater. Kevin's work on the latest OSI album, "blood" was quite enjoyable. Check it out!

Stating the Kevin Moore was the mastermind behind those early albums is making more and more sense as time goes on. There was something magical about what he was doing which wasn't always just synced with John. Kevin did a lot of really interesting things underneath those rhythms, and some of his melodies were beautiful and very memorable. It's just very interesting they haven't been able to come close to that magic that were on those few first albums. And I'm not talking about a million notes per second. I'm sooo bored of that shit from Dream Theater. Kevin's work on the latest OSI album, "blood" was quite enjoyable. Check it out!

That's basically what I've been preaching passionately (with a grudge?) on every DT thread I've seen on here. Except this one...

WORD
Also, Kevin Moore was the balance in the force.

funny analogy given your sayayin avatar and all lol

but yeah very accurate indeed, the dark side is winning. can´t say I dont like this dark side though, I enjoy everything DT has done for the sake of variety, they never make an album that could be called "previous album part 2" and metropolis part 2 is named that way but is never a musical sequel to images and words or anything, a totally diffrent thing even if it does borrow many riffs and lyrics from metropolis.

funny analogy given your sayayin avatar and all lol

but yeah very accurate indeed, the dark side is winning. can´t say I dont like this dark side though, I enjoy everything DT has done for the sake of variety, they never make an album that could be called "previous album part 2" and metropolis part 2 is named that way but is never a musical sequel to images and words or anything, a totally diffrent thing even if it does borrow many riffs and lyrics from metropolis.

Agreed... but, they really need a producer. Not saying I want a I&W every now and then, but they REALLY need to stop with this 16238 minutes songs just for the sake of "being epic as Conan".

More funny analogies, Lol at Epic as Conan haha

I do get your point though, I enjoy the long songs mostly, have great fun blasting out the eternal solos in the car and such, Im happy they just don´t get stuck in that, they also make some pretty memorable riffs/melodies/choruses and such and blend it with total wankery when they get bored