Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

JESUS THOSE UNISON VOCALS ARE FUCKING RETARDED GOOD GOD WHAT A BUNCH OF FAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGS WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Even that raw, unmixed track of Portnoy growling is better than what they went with. Mikael would have been amazing, and Portnoy growling, but mixed better would have sounded cool too. I'm stoked about the instrumental version of the album, that was smart of them. The problem with DT is that they are so ridiculously awesome at their instruments that they can pretty much assimilate any other band, sound like anyone, etc. - but they don't have a whole lot of options in terms of vocals between James and Mike - you get either operatic power metal vocals or "shout" vocals. It's almost like they need a second dedicated vocalist now if they are going to continue writing this way; I really like James' vocals (acquired taste over many years) but he's clearly not the right singer for every part of every song.

i agree with matt steele as that has been my sentiment i think they got by with jordan on sfam and 6doit and tot and even 8vm but he really is exposed as a unfitting band member to me in SC and now BCSL...

i mean he fits the band but i think he overplays and the songs are just too much. they sound too produced kind of i dont know. the older stuff like awake and IAW sonded more raw and more like a band that is in touch with their music as opposed to a band that is trying to sound like something. i also think their earlier stuff was more 80s pop influenced and they added elements of prog and virtiousity on top of it... i also agree they need an outside producer i think JP and MP have lost serious perspective of their own music. its tough self producing so many albums in a row.

not its like the other way around. songs are too long too forced to be epic, or as the austrian emperor said in amadeus - there are simply "too many notes"

So, am I the only one that thinks that if they went with only Labrie's melodic vocals in that section everything would be fine and no one would've complained in the first place?

So, am I the only one that thinks that if they went with only Labrie's melodic vocals in that section everything would be fine and no one would've complained in the first place?

+1. That, or growling, would have been the best options. They chose the worst option, in the true spirit of compromise, where nobody is happy.

+1. That, or growling, would have been the best options. They chose the worst option, in the true spirit of compromise, where nobody is happy.

Yeah but still...with growling vocals there would still be people complaining. If they had just gone with LaBrie's singing nobody would say "OMG why didn't they do some growling vocals in that part!?"...so everyone would be happy...unlike what Portnoy seems to think:

"I did indeed know that no matter what, we wouldn't please everybody with the idea..."

Yeah but still...with growling vocals there would still be people complaining. If they had just gone with LaBrie's singing nobody would say "OMG why didn't they do some growling vocals in that part!?"...so everyone would be happy...unlike what Portnoy seems to think:

Given the hate seen for LaBrie's vocals as of late (see the Download Festival link and some postings in this thread), I suspect it's a bit of a "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" mixed with "you can't please all the people all the time".

Like someone mentioned above - it sounds like they are still having fun after all these years, which as witnessed in "Some Kind of Monster", the same can't be said of all bands after lengthy careers.

Jind

After listen to it one time in detail...I cannot say much :lol: The only thing I can say, I dig the opener (except the fucking pseudoevil rap part) and I don´t like THIS PATHETIC SOUNDING KITSCH ARRANGEMENTS OF "the best of times"! It sounds gay IMO :(

I saw DT last week wednesday and friday, and both times they really kicked ass!! The only song from the new album ther perform was Rite of passage (which is a great track to perform live). I'm already saving for Progressive Nation later this year :)

I must say I'm not so into the cheesy songs they have written the last years, but live they only perform 1 of them, the rest is much more heavy material.