Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings

hence why it borrows parts from the other 4 songs

erm... It doesn't BORROW anything. It's a medley of those songs, same exact riffs and lyrics to boot! If they "borrowed" melodies or themes from those songs yet made them new for the new composition like they did with Metropolis part2, now they would have something great! But they didn't, they took the lazy way out and cheated anyone who bought this album thinking they were buying an album with 6 original tracks.

erm... It doesn't BORROW anything. It's a medley of those songs, same exact riffs and lyrics to boot! If they "borrowed" melodies or themes from those songs yet made them new for the new composition like they did with Metropolis part2, now they would have something great! But they didn't, they took the lazy way out and cheated anyone who bought this album thinking they were buying an album with 6 original tracks.

obv you dont get the point of the track so its not worth arguing about ttytt

I didn't care much for Rite of Passage when I heard the leaked version.

I'll probably pick this up later this week.
I actually liked SC aswell. I like all their albums.

Nothing against Labrie but sometimes I wish Ray Alder or Geoff Tate sang for them.

ok so i got it and....

ehhh

its a lot better than systematic chaos but im pretty sure if they sat around a room and recorded random conversations it would be better too. its a little better btu what kills it for me are the dumb lyrics and just overly instrumental and forced epic parts. i understand thats an essential part of prog music but they managed 15 years of albums without running into that much i guess their magic ran out.

i REALLLLLLY like "a nightmare to remember" one of the best DT songs in a long long time and the intro to "the best of times" with that guitar thing is really cool. i wish they kept going with that. the rest of it kinda sucks. the tuscany song is probably the dumbest song i've heard in a long time. the lyrics are terrible its like a a 5th grade short story contest winner lyrics. the music is unoriginal and uninspired.

dont get me wrong its better than SC i can at least listen to it except the last song. the best part for me are the covers actually which are awesome. i have been listening to those more than the originals.

I saw video from Download festival yesterday. Petrucci´s vibrato and intonation is godlike. Altough I still prefer solos from old days (like Another Day) I like his playing a lot.

I like the production on this more than any other DT album. Portnoy's drums fiiiiinally sound decent. Usually they're annoying. Rhythm guitars are also nice and crushing. Some of the songs are forgettable, the lyrics are hilariously awful, and Mike Portnoy REALLY needs to stop singing. Or grunting. Or whatever the hell it is he's doing. There's enough genius to make it worthwhile, though. Beats the crap out of Systematic Chaos (but then, what doesn't) and it's a little better than Octavarium and Train of Thought, but nowhere near Six Degrees. A Nightmare to Remember has some wonderful parts and I rather enjoyed A Rite of Passage.

" DAY AFTER DAY, AND NIGHT AFTER NIGHT :D"

To be serious, this is now one of my favourite DT cd's.
I waited till I got the cd and listened a coupel of times from beginning to end.
Have to admit I'm a bit used to Portnoy's singing but damn, the music is so good.

I love this album.

I saw them last saturday in a festival. Amazing playing but a bit boring. I ate a big sandwich during their performance.
It's a nice band for a clinic, but not for a festival.
Very, very great musicians... but I can't listen to a full album.

Portnoy sounds like shit. I laughed when in some recent interview he said that his voice is better fitted to harder parts than Labries. Honestly, those "harder parts" he means sounds BAD, I can't take them seriously at all and the backing vocals are just as bad. If you hit the note doesn't mean you sound good. Dream Theater of these days are so far away from the I&W and Awake-days, it seems like Portnoy's controling the whole band these days, Petrucci is only interested about his body and Rudess is overusing they keys all the time. They try to sound heavy, but none of this stuff manages to capture the heavyness of Mirror.

Couldn't agree more. The parts where they are screaming "I" sounds as if they're all vomiting into the mic. Horrible.

Ah... only if he was a great drummer... then he could just play drums and leave the singing parts for the singer. Oops...
ORRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR
Maybe he could do a side project (since he doesn't play in enough bands) and trash it as he wants with his ogre-lame whatever vocals. DT was to good to be true. WAS...

Maybe it was a ham and Labrie sandwich.

(sorry)

Ham and Labrie...mmmh... good...

3310552955_3bb26bbc19.jpg