New DT Album

I'm pretty much a music snob and ignore most everything that's not Symphony X

That doesn't make one a music snob. But you do seem awfully picky.

I don't know if you'd like Opeth's Heritage, cause it's more progressive rock than metal. You'd probably have to be into the 70s rock sound a bit.

Not sure what I would recommend to you based on just the fact that you love Symphony X and hate Dream Theater, has to be metal but not growling nor "choir boy vocals". Probably nothing I like.

I haven't even listened to a single second of "Heritage", but I'd imagine that you would not enjoy it, Sister.
As for Pain of Salvation, the entire Road Salt album (which contains "Sisters") is not really indicative of what they sound like as a whole, but I still feel that you would dislike them, regardless.

Check out Leprous's new album "Bilateral". It's pretty metal in all the good ways, and just good song-writing overall.

EDIT: Now that I think about it, "Heritage" and "Damnation" are not really indicative of what Opeth sound like either.

Yes, Detective, YES!!!!!!! Train of Thought is the ONLY album by DT that I can even BEGIN to listen to, and even then, only occasionally. The vocals are weird in that band, sorry, fans of DT, I can't stand that type of vocals on what is supposed to be at LEAST VAGUELY metal genre stuff. But TOT is heavy on the music side, so I can pretend no one is singing and enjoy parts of it. Um, Heritage? Tell me more. I'm pretty much a music snob and ignore most everything that's not Symphony X but I"m willing to branch out as long as we aren't talking ballads and choir boy vocals. I'm talking metal, but not growling, screaming crap. I saw Blackguard at the SX Iconoclast tour concert in NC in April and they put on a FAB show with the long hair and rotating heads and growling/screaming, but buying an album like that would stink. The visual part of it is what rocks. For the music alone, I'd go with another band at that show, Shockopera, before I'd go with Blackguard. So if this "heritage" is the growling/screaming type or the choir boy vocals or ballads type, I'm not interested. Yes I've listened to all of the above, so I"m not forming opinions based on nothing. I was interested in Pain of Salvation until I heard "Sisters" posted here in its entirety. Yuk............

Based on your preferences I would maybe recommend you check out Evergrey if you haven't already, especially the albums "Recreation Day" and their newest "Glorious Collision". The vocals aren't the most elite or skillfull; however, I think they are much better than Labries', and at least have emotion.

I used to hate growling style vocals back when I first got into metal; however, I slowly began to accept and even appreciate them. It wasn't like I just suddenly liked them out of nowhere either. I would discover bands where I really liked the music, but they would have growling vocals. I would listen to those bands for the awesome music and overtime I really started to notice the emotion they brought to the music. I began to see them as just another instrument to add flavor to the music, and realized how different those songs (the songs with awesome music but vocals I didn't like at first) would be without them. Anyway, long story short is that you enjoying that Blackguard performance kind of shows that maybe you are also on that path to eventually appreciating harsher vocal styles as well. The difference between clean and harsh vocals is really no different than that of a keyboard to a guitar.

Oh, and I meant to post this for you because I know it makes it more convenient for checking out stuff that is suggested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Based on your preferences I would maybe recommend you check out Evergrey if you haven't already, especially the albums "Recreation Day" and their newest "Glorious Collision". The vocals aren't the most elite or skillfull; however, I think they are much better than Labries', and at least have emotion.

I used to hate growling style vocals back when I first got into metal; however, I slowly began to accept and even appreciate them. It wasn't like I just suddenly liked them out of nowhere either. I would discover bands where I really liked the music, but they would have growling vocals. I would listen to those bands for the awesome music and overtime I really started to notice the emotion they brought to the music. I began to see them as just another instrument to add flavor to the music, and realized how different those songs (the songs with awesome music but vocals I didn't like at first) would be without them. Anyway, long story short is that you enjoying that Blackguard performance kind of shows that maybe you are also on that path to eventually appreciating harsher vocal styles as well. The difference between clean and harsh vocals is really no different than that of a keyboard to a guitar.

Well said. Although both keys and guitar have actual notable pitch, and growling does not, I still agree with what you've said.
Growls are another form of musical expression, and when used properly, are very enjoyable.