New DT Album

Haha, I just read a comment that said Devil's Orchard was the only great track!

I find it to be one of the better tracks. But to be honest, there's not really any filler songs on there. There's filler parts of songs, but not entire songs.

Heritage is a grower, though. The first time I heard it, my reaction was "wow, what a letdown." However, with each new listen I like it more and more. Like many Opeth records, it's a very moody album - you really have to be in the right state of mind to listen to it.

Right now I can't seem to get enough of the odd-ass groove in Nepenthe.

I love the new Opeth album. I think its cool for them to take a break from the growling vocals, especially if they feel that their music is starting to get reduntant with the same formula. Also, its not like its new for them to do something totally different as they made Damnation a while back, which also had no growls either. I prefer this more groovy prog style over the acoustic/pop-ish Damnation as well. I was prepared for an album like this as soon as I read how Mikael described the sound of the album being very experimental and different for Opeth.

The whole album is great, and I would say Devil's Orchard is somewhere in the top 5 tracks in my own opinion. The only thing odd about it to me is that me and a friend were listening to the album in his car and not too long after getting out of his car I kept singing, "Goood is deaaeeed....God is deeaaaaaad". That one phrase of the song seems to demand to be the main thing that sticks in your head, as if they were trying to use subliminal messaging with that line or something. lol :p

I think the Opeth album is somewhat uneven. Also it has sounded better and worse depending on the mood/environment when listening to it. Some lame lyrics like "Feel the pain in your brain, insane". Highlight tracks for me would be Häxprocess and The Lines in My Hand, Marrow Of The Earth and possibly Folklore too, it has an awesome ending. The bonus tracks are good too. I think it's more or less as good as Watershed although different. Not one of their best though. Something of a 3.5/5 album atm.

Heritage is like a cousin to the Damnation album. I don't like that Devil's Orchard song with its goofy guitar tone, and the music is just meh there. The rest of the album I was pleased with it, it's still Opeth it's not like they changed into something completely different.

I don't like that Devil's Orchard song with its goofy guitar tone, and the music is just meh there.

I will say that the guitar tone on this album isn't to my tastes, either. The entire mix just seems too low and flat. I prefer a sharper sound.

That said, I prefer the Damnation album to this one. It just had a more haunting tone. A lot of songs on this album have those odd, free time, almost ambient transitions between sections that I greatly dislike. They did it on Watershed, too - it's like they can't write a proper transition so they just go "fuck it, we'll have everything get quiet and play something bluesy on the guitar."

Which is kind of what they used to do ages ago. Riff 1 + Riff 2 + Riff 3 = Song.

It sometimes works really well, and sometimes does not. Still, this album is interesting. It's certainly not "more of the same".

this album is interesting. It's certainly not "more of the same".

I agree and I'm enjoying it a lot...

I can see where some of the complaints are justified and I wish the mix was better/different....

I was hoping the copy I got was the reason for the sound and I'll be picking up the cd with the 5.1 version to hear if there is a difference...

Yes but there is room for humanism in relationships and I do know my grammar but enjoy torturing internet forum English teachers.

LOL cmon man there was trouble in the band before this...The human side was that they were ready to part with Portnoy and this was the way out. That's what I've taken from the situation.

The best wanktastic interlude is none at all. Solid progressive bands don't need those to impress. It's like abusing a thesaurus as an author. You end up sounding far more stupid in the end.

Jeez you must really struggle on the guitar or somethin you are coming off very strange on the subject...almost bitter.

I personally like the wankery stuff mixed in to their songs at any moment it's why I listen to them.

Jeez you must really struggle on the guitar or somethin you are coming off very strange on the subject...almost bitter.

I personally like the wankery stuff mixed in to their songs at any moment it's why I listen to them.

It's also one of the reasons people dislike them.

It's also one of the reasons people dislike them.

Yes and that's fine but just thought the hatred for it was outta control and odd. Seems like a personal problem or somethin idk lol. I'm not a theater lover or anything just browsing. As a guitar player they always intrigue me is all. Off the new album I like BITS and BAI the best.

Yes and that's fine but just thought the hatred for it was outta control and odd. Seems like a personal problem or somethin idk lol. I'm not a theater lover or anything just browsing. As a guitar player they always intrigue me is all. Off the new album I like BITS and BAI the best.

I don't think he meant it as harshly as you interpreted it.