New DT Album

...and what's with every prog-metal band having a song's intro cut into a verse that has this ridiculous syncopated pattern being played with a single power chord (probably the lowest noted power chord possible with the tuning), and the most uninpsired vocal delivery overtop? Heard it before, guys.

Transitions have always stood out in most progressive music if you ask me, mostly due to the amount of key/feel/tempo changes throughout each song. Symphony X is the only band where the transitions are so seamless that I don't even know the song had changed keys fifteen times by the end. Dream Theater used to have decent transitions in their earlier days (up to and including FII), but once that cyborg Rudess joined they began a gradual slide into songwriting oblivion.

Edit: Chugga-chugga riffs (as Ken calls them) are typically a cheap and easy way to bridge two sections of a song together that have different feels and would sound odd following each other. It can get really bland, though. For example, three of the four 10-minute plus songs on this new DT album have chugga chugga riffs in the intro somewhere, and if you played each one for me I'd have no idea what song I was listening to. Outcry's wasn't as generic as the others, but still.

It seems to me that Dream Theater didn't even listen to Portnoys request for a break. If they did they brushed it off with no consideration aside. Seems they never tried to reason with Portnoy like they could care-less about one another. That's not a good sign if people are acting like robots and lose the human side of things. Portnoy did leave the band on his own terms but it is his band too and they are trying to give him the wall now block him out, steal it from him forever, and give it to someone else. I hear the band talking shit about him in interviews and saying backstabbing things like how he always tried to control things all the time and when lawsuits start they can be catastrophic in some ways.

Oh man, please don't bring that whining BS here. There's tons of forums around for this (mp.com, dtf.com etc etc), and from your perspective, you could really use some of them for your common - sense arguments about DT's split. Let's talk about the album, shall we?

It is your band still if your just taking a break. I don't really give a fuck anyway about Dream Theater I have some friends that are fans and I have to listen to this shit too. Petrucci seems like a tyrant to me, sucking up all the wealth and stealing leadership.

It is your band still if your just taking a break. I don't really give a fuck anyway about Dream Theater I have some friends that are fans and I have to listen to this shit too. Petrucci seems like a tyrant to me, sucking up all the wealth and stealing leadership.

That's "you're". The second one.

If you are taking a break and the rest of the band isn't, then they can kick you out depending on terms of contract, if there is one. The real music biz is nothing at all like playing in some high school band. It is vicious and razor sharp.

I can't believe my eyes: New DT album at number 3 on italian charts ,better
than Red hot chili pepper and Lady "Fucka" Gaga

I'm not that surprised. Prog bands like Dream Theater, Opeth, Porcupine Tree and others have been charting better and better everywhere from 2000 forwars.

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive in the mail... but my excitement is dwindling away due to lack of praise around here! I don't know why I expected something great in the first place, to be honest, lol.

Though people are also not too happy with the new Opeth, I am still very excited for it!