New DT DVD

PMA said:
If anything, James now sounds better. If you know the history of his having a few YEARS of recovery to his throat after food poisoning, it is understandable that he had some bad nights but now he is doing even the old material as well if not better. Just saw the show in SF and he pulled off all the material perfectly including hitting the high notes dating back to some of the Images and Words material.

Also, I agree with the other comments that Kevin Moore should perform with them for the anniversary DVD. Even Sherinian, who was FIRED, and Domenici who left over creative differences worked with them again. It's not like Kevin is abandoning his direction to sit in on one or two tunes.
I totally agree with u,Labrie right now sounds way better than what he used to sound like in early 90's.

I agree that Labrie is better today than in the past. He is now singing in his voice and not so much falsetto...that's always a plus. He was stellar at Gigantour...simply ruled that tour... and I understand he's hitting notes with ease on this new tour.
Some people can't get over the fact that his style has changed somewhat since I & W. He was great on that release, but he has evolved since..."progressed" so to speak. That's what it's all about.

Ok, it is a matter of taste, but when i compare his new live recordings, and the past ones, i hear a lot of off tune sounds from him. And it is not what i understand from "Labrie is better today". So i assume you are talking about his dressing or hair cut :)

No, actually his wardrobe & haircut was better in the 90's...his voice and vocal styling is better today. Being a vocalist myself and having a understanding of what it takes to maintain good tone and the ability to sustain notes...I can appreciate Labries efforts. His performance on Gigantour proved his status as a great rock/metal vocalist. If you missed that tour...then you missed out on seeing him at his best. And, as you can see from the posts...he is continueing to "raise the knife (bar)". In other words, if you haven't seen or heard him lately...then you just don't know.:D :D :D :D

Ascension said:
No, actually his wardrobe & haircut was better in the 90's...his voice and vocal styling is better today. Being a vocalist myself and having a understanding of what it takes to maintain good tone and the ability to sustain notes...I can appreciate Labries efforts. His performance on Gigantour proved his status as a great rock/metal vocalist. If you missed that tour...then you missed out on seeing him at his best. And, as you can see from the posts...he is continueing to "raise the knife (bar)". In other words, if you haven't seen or heard him lately...then you just don't know.:D :D :D :D

OK, i like the old Labrie, you like the new one. So lets call this thing off, cause i am bored :loco:

I'm seeing the first of 2 DT show im going to on sunday!!!73h |\|3x7 0|\|3 15 0|\| 547|_||2|)4Y (the acctual filming of the dvd)

I saw DT in Chicago and Cleveland this past week, and they were amazing both times. Chicago got the better setlist, but either way they mixed it up nicely. Can't wait for the New York show, as I'm sure it will blow both of these shows away.

Yea...I'm exited enough for the New Jersey show...I can't imagine what the days are gonna be like leading up to the NY show....

rockyracoon said:
Chicago got the better setlist

Really? I wasn't too crazy about the setlist. In fact, I preferred the set they played two years ago in Chicago (also in March). But I'm not complaining. Raise The Knife was awesome. I just wish they would've played Honor Thy Father instead of Endless Sacrifice.

MorphineChild205 said:
Really? I wasn't too crazy about the setlist. In fact, I preferred the set they played two years ago in Chicago (also in March). But I'm not complaining. Raise The Knife was awesome. I just wish they would've played Honor Thy Father instead of Endless Sacrifice.

The set from 2 yrs ago did kick ass. And I 100% agree about Honor Thy Father, I've been waiting to see them pull that out, as it's my favorite song off the album. And hell yeah, Raise the Knife was absolutely the highlight for me.

MorphineChild205 said:
I'm thinkin they will play honor thy father in NY because Endless Sacrifise is already on DVD

turke said:
OK, i like the old Labrie, you like the new one. So lets call this thing off, cause i am bored :loco:
I think nobody would dispute that he was at the top of his game around the time of "Awake" or "A Change Of Seasons"... but then again, he's leagues better nowadays than he was, say, five years ago.
Astonishingly, his voice hit rock bottom when "Scenes From A Memory" came out, in my opinion... his vocal cords must have been absolutely shot back than.

For the record, I saw them play "Raise The Knife" in Düsseldorf last September, and while I agree it might have been one of the best songs on "Falling Into Infinity", it's really not an extraordinary piece of writing. In fact, it only picks up some steam as soon as the instrumental section starts, in my opinion. I felt the beginning was pretty deliberate.