New DT DVD

Umm... Raise The Knife wasn't on Falling Into Infinity.

It was an unreleased song; I have a studio version on my PC, but it came from "When Demos And Singles Unite". This isn't a bootleg or an official album, so I don't know what to classify it as.

Tubbs Mcgee said:
Umm... Raise The Knife wasn't on Falling Into Infinity.

It was an unreleased song; I have a studio version on my PC, but it came from "When Demos And Singles Unite". This isn't a bootleg or an official album, so I don't know what to classify it as.

Definitely wasnt on Falling Into Infinity. But it was on the 1999 Christmas CD entitled "Cleaning Out the Closet." And pretty much every song off that disc is amazing.

James introduced the song as a FII outtake at the show.

The Stormbringer said:
I think nobody would dispute that he was at the top of his game around the time of "Awake" or "A Change Of Seasons"... but then again, he's leagues better nowadays than he was, say, five years ago.
Astonishingly, his voice hit rock bottom when "Scenes From A Memory" came out, in my opinion... his vocal cords must have been absolutely shot back than.

For the record, I saw them play "Raise The Knife" in Düsseldorf last September, and while I agree it might have been one of the best songs on "Falling Into Infinity", it's really not an extraordinary piece of writing. In fact, it only picks up some steam as soon as the instrumental section starts, in my opinion. I felt the beginning was pretty deliberate.

I will dispute this. James may have been at the top of his game during Awake in the sense that he could nail the really high notes with ease. But I think he has developed into a MUCH more mature voice. I think the best examples of this exist on his works outside of DT, such as Mullmuzzler's I and II, as well as Frameshift, Madmen and Sinners, and Elements of Persuasion. His writing has progressed immensely, and his vocal melodies are just unbelievable.

Basically, I don't see the need for James to even try and sing as high as he once did, for three reasons. First, its not worth the strain it puts on his voice. Second, that kind of singing, to me, does not represent his abilities to their fullest. Third, his voice on Awake simply wouldnt fit their music these days, basically because virtually nobody sings like that anymore.

No no no. Never judge a vocalist with his studio work. Cause you know, technology is far beyond our imagination nowadays, half of the pop singers can't even sing, but they have albums which you can hear them sing miraculaously.

The last things i heard live from Labrie is "Live at Budokan" and their debut album anniversary show. And Labrie "for me" sucks in both of them. I can't stand his new vocal style, i am sorry.

turke said:
No no no. Never judge a vocalist with his studio work. Cause you know, technology is far beyond our imagination nowadays, half of the pop singers can't even sing, but they have albums which you can hear them sing miraculaously.

The last things i heard live from Labrie is "Live at Budokan" and their debut album anniversary show. And Labrie "for me" sucks in both of them. I can't stand his new vocal style, i am sorry.

Well all my thoughts on his studio work also hold true in a live performance. I've seen DT around 14 times, and solo James twice. Sure he may have some off nights, but its only off for particular songs, or song parts, and very rarely an entire show. As for his solo shows, there was absolutely NOTHING off about his voice.

karelrulez said:

That is great to see that he can still scream :) But i think this was the top moment of the show, cause he left backstage to gather up his vocal cords i think :) instead of continuing his vocal solo (i remember he used to continue his vocal solo over the guitar solo in "learning to live").

But now that i see that falsetto is back, i am happy. (Adesso che ho perso la vista, ci vedo meglio e di piu) :lol:

turke said:
Well old DT was really great as "live". But now Labrie has lost all his voice, it is like listening a man torturing himself on the stage. I am sorry to say that really. I like DT, and the old "live in Tokyo" dvd really rocks i.m.o. But you gotta admit that Labrie has lost his "live" magic. Sure he still might be a good studio vocalist.
All of them has lost their magic. Look at the Tokyo DVD and look at Budokan. They could put trees in their place on stage and it would be the same thing. Jordan and Mike are the only ones that give a stageshow anymore. All in all, they look really burnt out and LaBrie's voice can cut it in the beginning of the shows, but at the 1 hour mark it's done.

turke said:
Well old DT was really great as "live". But now Labrie has lost all his voice, it is like listening a man torturing himself on the stage. I am sorry to say that really. I like DT, and the old "live in Tokyo" dvd really rocks i.m.o. But you gotta admit that Labrie has lost his "live" magic. Sure he still might be a good studio vocalist.

WTF are you on about.

More like he just got his voice back after a decade of struggle with vocal chord damage.

lol, poor LaBrie, being scrutinized to all hell. Sure he's a different singer than back in the day, people DO tend to change over time :Smug: Just because he's different doesn't mean he's worse or better, he's just that, DIFFERENT. Some may like it, some may not, either way he's still fronting Dream Theater and probably would have gotten the boot if the rest of the band thought he sucked ass.

NegativeVolume said:
lol, poor LaBrie, being scrutinized to all hell. Sure he's a different singer than back in the day, people DO tend to change over time :Smug: Just because he's different doesn't mean he's worse or better, he's just that, DIFFERENT. Some may like it, some may not, either way he's still fronting Dream Theater and probably would have gotten the boot if the rest of the band thought he sucked ass.

yes, we all know that. Anything new ?

turke said:
Cause it is not an opinion, it is common knowledge :)

No, common knowledge is that he just got his voice back after a decade of stuggle with vocal chord damage.

Listen to boots from 2006. Budokan was a pretty bad show yeah, but he's even better than on live in tokyo now. Nailing the learning to live F sharp every night.