new guitar

War_Blade said:
yes it is your resident guitar newb again...

Alright so i really need a new guitar....

any suggestions anyone? im really open to any kind of guitar expect anohter bc rich... lmao

I am an "oldschool" guy so you have to excuse me, but I always thought the two coolest looking guitars were a Flying V and an SG. Flying V's suck for practice because you can't play them sitting down though. Gibson also makes guitars barely worth the wood they are made of now, so that is thrown out the window..... except.... ESP makes an SG shaped guitar called the Viper. I have never actually played an ESP (and I have played dozens of brands) but even the ESP import ones (the LTD series) look to be of pretty good quality. Since you seem to have a good bit of money to pay for one, I bet ESP has a better quality one than this as well.

http://www.espguitars.com/images/guitars/Viper400_VSB.jpg

One other suggestion is Peavey. Though well regarded for their PA equipment, Peavey has been too overlooked in the guitar department. I own a 100% all-original (less the neck pickup which was too hot for a clean sound) 1990 Peavey Vandenberg. I wouldn't take $1000 for that guitar. It is a well crafted piece of music machinery. Peavey doesn't offer a whole lot of models for the metal musician, but what they do offer is high quality. Stephan Lill of Vanden Plas also plays a Vandenberg, though his is a later model quilt top. Peavey also has some of the best craftsmen as well. Don't discount a bolt-on neck made by Peavey. I have typically been a fan of neck thru, but my Vandenberg is a bolt on.
You may not like any of my suggestions and that is fine, as I am no guitar guru, just a player, but before you buy..... check out the ESP and Peavey line. Jorn Viggo Lofstat (Pagans Mind) plays one of those ugly EVH Peavey models. He sounds amazing on it as well.

Bryant

I have an RG520QS (Japanese) with an oiled body and an RG7420 (Korean).

It took me a while to become accustomed to the feel of the Lo-TRS tremolo where my pick hand rests, but once I did I liked the unit.

My RG520QS is about as close to guitar nirvana as I've come.

ABQShredHead said:
I have an RG520QS (Japanese) with an oiled body and an RG7420 (Korean).

It took me a while to become accustomed to the feel of the Lo-TRS tremolo where my pick hand rests, but once I did I liked the unit.

My RG520QS is about as close to guitar nirvana as I've come.

You should try an Edge tremolo, its unreal.....

RobbM said:
You should try an Edge tremolo, its unreal.....

The RG520QS has an EDGE, and I agree with you. I was talking about the Lo-TRS on the seven-string.

I grew up playing an Aria Pro Stray Cat that I bought with money from my paper route. Over the years, I "doctored" it up with EMGs and a Kahler Flat Mount. I loved that tremolo.

But then I got my first Floyd experience when I bought the RG. I don't know that I can go back to Kahlers (especially since they're not around any more...). String flutters are just way too fun, and I couldn't do them on the Kahlers.

Yeah I know, I have a low-trs on my 470 and well,in the world of Ibanez its junk, but its still better than most licenced tremolos I've played. Sorry I thought the 520's were hardtail...

But my 550 has an origional Edge and its the greatest tremolo i've ever played on...

Back when I was in high school, I used to go to Don Lesmen's for lessons each week. For the longest time, they had an orange RG550 with a maple neck. While I was waiting for my teacher to finish with his previous student, I would just sit and stare at the thing. I wanted it so bad.

I told myself when I got a real job I'd find one and buy it. I haven't had any luck finding one though.

Yeah, and they're all probably beat to shit too.

I have two slabs of wood sitting in my garage. If I ever get around to cutting them into guitars, I think I'll go with that color. I have some cool JPM templates that I think I'll use.

Is that your JPM? If so, where exactly do you live? :devil:

I've been looking for some flame or curly BM tops too. But, since I have mahogany and swamp ash blanks sitting on the table in the garage (they're acclimating to the climate - yeah, that's it) with no work done, I don't know that further wood purchases would be met well by the family.