New here

DTArtstar

Aug 7, 2003
New Jersey
Visit site
Just thought I'd introduce myself. My name's Andrew, I'm 18 years old and from New Jersey(surprising I'm not into rap or punk either due to my unfortunate location) and Enchant has climbed quickly to be one of my favorite bands along with Marillion, The Flower Kings, Spock's Beard(this tour NEEDS to visit the US), Porcupine Tree, Radiohead, Genesis, Yes, Dream Theater, Pain Of Salvation, etc etc etc. I started with J9orD10 and I hated it. So I threw it in my "crap cds" pile and forgot about it. Fast forward 2 years later when I'm burnt out on the stuff I listen to and need a change...well, on a sheer whim I decided to pull out J9orD10(I remembered it was less bombastic and crazy than the stuff I was going through at the time and I really felt like having something intelligently simple to listen to, plus Paint The Picture I always liked even when I hated the rest...so, it was worth a shot).

What happened next you ask? I LOVED it. It was exactly the type of music I was looking to hear and exactly what I needed(I was going through a rough time relationshipwise and this album just seemed to help make the process so much easier and less painful). I fell in love with the band and this album and I still think it's one of the greatest albums of all time. So after playing the album religiously for months(I would drive somewhere close and play this cd and wind up driving out of my way for an hour just to hear the whole thing...sick I know but worth every second) I find myself wanting more Enchant. So this was right around NEARFest 2003 which I was going to(basically for The Flower Kings, Anglagard, Glass Hammer(who I realize now are the dorkiest band ever and give prog its bad reputation singlehandedly) and Camel only) and I go into that gigantic room of all the cds you've ever heard of but could never find. Consider buying some weird Euro prog band for the hell of it, say fuck that, walk to the InsideOut table, get BOTW, W/TL, and BOAE, and walk away happier than the feeling I got after Magma's dreadful set ended.

Surprisingly I still have not listened to W/TL a whole 2 months later. I've been heavily into J9orD10 still(coolest album abbreviation ever besides King Crimson's ITCOTCK) and A Blueprint Of The World. At Death's Door, Catharsis, and Acquaintance are my favorites on here...my favorite part of the whole album being that call and response guitar part in Catharsis. My favorites on Juggling are Colors Fade(I always say that this is probably one of the most brilliant songs in existence...the length, arrangements, melodies, structure, performance, lyrics, everything is just perfect. This song was the one on Juggling that made me realize their brilliance and it still is), Juggling Knives, What To Say/Know That(can I get a "holy shit this is awesome" for this one?), Black Eyes And Broken Glass, Traces, and Rough Draft.

Blink Of An Eye...excellent album. I missed Paul but Sean is definitely the best replacement the band could get. He's great. Probably my least favorite of their albums but still has some incredibly great moments. The first 6 songs on this are incredible but the last 3(or 4 counting Prognosis) don't do much for me. Parts of My Everafter and Despicable are great but hey, the songs aren't bad, they just aren't ones I listen to much.

As for W/TL...haven't had time yet! This is coming shortly and I'm very excited I have 2 whole cds of Enchant left to explore(well three since I don't have Break yet either).

TUG OF WAR!! Excellent album that really improves on BOAE. I saw a huge thread about someone thinking this album has bad production...I don't hear that at all. It sounds great I think! Still getting used to it since I just got it a week ago but I have to say, the band outdid itself with the songs Sinking Sand, Tug Of War(the chorus to this is my all time favorite Enchant chorus), and Comatose. Comatose being my favorite on the album...just yesterday I was driving listening to this song and it finally clicked with me how great it was. Really beautiful song...I am deeply impressed. I also like Hold The Wind( the solo is great!), Beautiful, Progtology, and Queen Of The Informed. Don't like Long Way Down or Living In A Movie much but that might change...who knows...

Well, sorry for the length of this but I have to say...it's good to hear bands like Enchant just kicking ass like this. I wish they could make it to NJ(or PA) but I'm sure they would if they could, and hopefully they will as I'm dying to see Comatose and Tug Of War live. I think their best album is easily Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10 and I think some of these songs have superb radio potential and should be on there(leading the list is Colors Fade obviously)...one day the planets will align and this will happen I hope.

So, yeah...Enchant!

Hehe...interesting!

Blink of an Eye is probably my favorite album (though Tug is pushing that), while Juggling (a favorite of many) I like a little less than the others, excepting Wounded which is a solid cd, but my least favorite from the band.

Well...get in the long line of people crossing their fingers for a US tour, or even a single show.

Really...I'm not sure why a single US show can't be thrown together. They must know that there's a country full of people willing to fly for Beard + Enchant + CGT.

Hey DT - welcome aboard! Tug is my fave, then Blink, then JugDrop then Blueprint....gotta love these guys! Glad you gave them another listen - and I bet you're hooked for good now! Comatose is IMHO the best Enchant song ever! Keep listening to Blink - bet it grows on you like the sobig.F virus that is all over my (and millions of other people's!) email, LOL!

Rock on! Enchant rules!

Funny how you can turn around. It happened to me quite often also. You buy an album, after a first listen you are disappointed. Then when you're in a different mood all of a sudden the music speaks to you. It happened to me with Porcupine Tree's In Absentia, which is one of my favourites now.
Funny enough I took to Enchant from the first listen. It was mainly because I liked Ted's voice. Next I was drawn to Doug's guitarplaying etc.
I started with Wounded. Juggling is great. My favourite however is Blink of an Eye.

Thanks for the welcome guys! In Absentia was actually an album that influenced me to go back to Enchant. I kind of liked that poppish straightforward, very high quality playing/lyrics/music, and I remembered something vaguely familiar like that in J9D10 so I gave it another shot. I remember only liking Paint The Picture(especially because the intro reminds me of Xanadu by Rush so much, who I'm into a bit), so I used it as driving music for a bit and wound up loving it. I was a in a huge mess at that time and this album just spoke to me like few others could at the time.

Speaking of which, I know a few of the guys in the band post here so I just want to say how much of a great impact Juggling 9 Or Dropping 10 had on my life at that time and how much listening to it helped me kind of forget my shit for an hour or so and just take in every beautiful note of the album. Thanks a lot guys...you made easily one of my top 5 albums ever and I always turn back to it when I feel low to get that pick me up again. Incredible work of art