New Interview with Charlie

CB: 'We’ve seen the difference between playing with Joey and playing with John. There are way more people coming, and there’s more excitement. So I’m not taking anything away from John at all, I’m just basically stating a fact.'

i guess that's imf09's fav. and JohnnieCzech's least fav. part of the interview:lol:

finally someone asks those questions! Thumbs up.

Yep that was a good interview. It's nice to see someone ask them questions that people actually want to hear answers to instead of the same kissing ass bullshit most interviewers do.

I think its funny how bitter he gets when mentioning how singers think they are entitled to more than the rest of the band, then points out that he being the drummer has the most difficult job.

But the brutal truth is that you could replace Charlie with another kick ass drummer and honestly nobody would really know the difference. But when you replace the singer everything can and will typically change drastically.

CB: 'We’ve seen the difference between playing with Joey and playing with John. There are way more people coming, and there’s more excitement. So I’m not taking anything away from John at all, I’m just basically stating a fact.'

i guess that's imf09's fav. and JohnnieCzech's least fav. part of the interview:lol:

lol. Well it's not surprising, despite what Social Distortion, Deege, Jonnie and a few others may think. The majority of Anthrax fans want to hear the Joey era material. Charlie is probably the last guy that would want to admit to it, but it just is the reality. I am not expecting much from the new album since it was written with another singer in mind on vocals. I am already looking forward to the next album after Worship Music. I think when all is said and done they are going to finally realize that the majority of those fans coming to the shows want to hear Thrash Metal and not the modern rock material.

Yep that was a good interview. It's nice to see someone ask them questions that people actually want to hear answers to instead of the same kissing ass bullshit most interviewers do.

I think its funny how bitter he gets when mentioning how singers think they are entitled to more than the rest of the band, then points out that he being the drummer has the most difficult job.

But the brutal truth is that you could replace Charlie with another kick ass drummer and honestly nobody would really know the difference. But when you replace the singer everything can and will typically change drastically.

Are you kidding me??? Do you really know anything at all? Charlie's style is DISTINCTIVE.............Just about the best all round drummer in Metal.........credibility count getting lower...........

If Charlie wants even more people coming and even more excitement, he should join Justin Bieber's session band :lol:

Are you kidding me??? Do you really know anything at all? Charlie's style is DISTINCTIVE.............Just about the best all round drummer in Metal.........credibility count getting lower...........

Yes I know many things. I now there are many other drummers that could more than handle playing Charlies drum parts and not many people other than extreme musical nerds would notice any difference

I saw them play on the reunion tour with Jason Bitner from Shadows Fall and he played Charlies songs note for note to the point that most people in the audience didn't even know he was a replacement drummer for the night.

I am not saying Charlie isn't an amazing drummer.

My point is you just can't swap out a lead vocalist for a night, you would have to cancel the show. If a vocalist got sick for a few weeks or so you'd cancel a tour. If Charlie got sick you just plop another drummer in there and nobody knows the difference.

Same thing with the guitar players and bass players. You can replace them fairly easily.... Andreas Kisser played for Scott Ian and if you closed your eyes you wouldn't have noticed much change in ANthrax's sound.

But if you stick a new singer up on stage it will all of a sudden seem like a cover band.

The singer is the most important part of a band no matter what the rest of the band members may think about it. That is why a lot of times record deals are structured so that the singer gets more than the rest of the band members.

That is also why drummers get pisssy like Charlie. I don't blame him it should be equal all the time. BUt thats not the reality

That is in indeed very true!

Good example of a band that got down after losing their drummer:
Helloween - no without Uli Kusch

... but it turned out really well for Bad Religion, after getting Brooks Wackerman on the boat. They are now more important than in a long time, although Bobby Scheyer was fantastic on Stranger Than Fiction and The Gray Race.

Its nothing against the instrument players (guitar, bass, drums), but they can all be replaced for the most part. You'll notice some differences but those 3 players are in one group, the vocalist is in another league.

Get one guitar player with the right equipment and effects, and have him try to mimic Iommi, Hendrix, Hammett, Eddie Van Halen, Downing/Tipton, etc.

Now get one vocalist to try and mimic Ozzy, Hendrix, Hetfield, Roth, Halford, etc.

Who do you think is going to be able pull off sounding more like the band they're trying to mimic?

When the singer goes, that is a major change to the band. Doesn't mean it'll be worse, and it doesn't mean that the instrument player's contributions are meaningless, but an instrument is just an object that anyone can play, a voice is unique to that person.

lol. Well it's not surprising, despite what Social Distortion, Deege, Jonnie and a few others may think. The majority of Anthrax fans want to hear the Joey era material.

Dude seriously just stop trying to label me. :lol: I happen to like both eras, so fucking what? I Am The Law is the song that got me into Anthrax and my favorite song is Be All, End All.

My point is you just can't swap out a lead vocalist for a night, you would have to cancel the show.

It can be done, and it has been done. Deen Castronovo once sang a whole Journey-show and he did a good job too! Ironicly enough, he's the drummer.

Now get one vocalist to try and mimic Ozzy, Hendrix, Hetfield, Roth, Halford, etc.

Once again, it can be done just as easily as replacing a player. Have you heard the guys who've been singing in Journey since Steve Perry left? If you didn't know you'd think that it is Perry on the stage.

(For the record I am NOT secretly a huge Journey fan.)

Once again, it can be done just as easily as replacing a player. Have you heard the guys who've been singing in Journey since Steve Perry left? If you didn't know you'd think that it is Perry on the stage.

(For the record I am NOT secretly a huge Journey fan.)

I'm not a Journey fan either. But I have heard both and they do sound the same. It CAN be done, but not as easily as replacing a player.

To prove my point, do you think this new Journey singer can also replicate the voices Ozzy AND Halford AND Peter Steele AND King Diamond AND Bruce Dickinson AND Tom Araya. I doubt it. He can replicate Steve Perry, but probably not so much the others. But give any guitar player the same equipment that any 10 guitarists use, and you will most likely find the sound is much more closer, and harder to tell the difference.