New Judas Priest live album.

Wyvern

Master of Disaster
Staff member
Nov 24, 2002
As many already should know JP it's going to release a new live album with songs that never have appeared before on an official live album from the band.

Here's some info from their MySpace site:

As the creators of a live release that is considered to be one of the all-time great concert recordings in the realm of heavy metal (1979’s ‘Unleashed in the East’), whenever Judas Priest announce a new live album, metalheads worldwide instantly take note. And on ‘A Touch of Evil: Live’ (due for release in July 2009 via Sony Music and Epic Records), the mighty Priest - which includes singer Rob Halford, guitarists Glenn Tipton and KK Downing, bassist Ian Hill, and drummer Scott Travis - doesn’t disappoint. Focusing primarily on fan-revered album cuts (all previously unreleased in live form on CD), ‘A Touch of Evil: Live’ features absolutely scintillating renditions of such Priest gems as “Riding on the Wind,” “Beyond the Realms of Death,” “Dissident Aggressor,” “A Touch of Evil,” “Eat Me Alive,” and the set-closing “Painkiller.” Also of note are the first live album appearances of standouts from Priest’s critically acclaimed 2008 concept double disc, ‘Nostradamus’ (“Death” and “Prophecy”).

Recorded by Martin Walker and Brian Thorene during the Judas Priest’s mammoth 2005 and 2008 world tours, ‘A Touch of Evil: Live’ also marks the first Priest album that producer Tom Allom has worked on since 1988 (co-producing along with the band). It was such Allom-produced albums as the aforementioned ‘Unleashed in the East,’ as well as ‘British Steel’ and ‘Screaming for Vengeance’ (among others) that made Priest not only one of the premier metal acts, but one of the leading global rock acts. As heard throughout ‘A Touch of Evil: Live,’ Priest remain a must-see live act…and a must-hear one, as well.

‘A Touch of Evil: Live’ track listing:

JUDAS RISING

HELLRIDER

BETWEEN THE HAMMER & THE ANVIL

RIDING ON THE WIND

DEATH

BEYOND THE REALMS OF DEATH

DISSIDENT AGGRESSOR

A TOUCH OF EVIL

EAT ME ALIVE

PROPHECY

PAINKILLER

Except for the "Nostradamus" cuts I like the setlist enough to get this puppy.

114316.jpg

cool setlist but some of those sogns were released already when ripper was the singer.

anyways i hope its slightly doctored up in the studio because halford sounds pretty weak live now

Half those songs were just released with Halford singing 2 years ago.

Halford sounds weak because he's almost (or is) 60.

The age is not just the reason. Dio will be 67 in a month and he's not "weak" live. Halford lost a lot in the last few years as it seems. His mid-range is still excellent, but he struggles with the higher notes, which I admit is kinda normal for a man in his late 50s. JP should definitely stop to play Painkiller live for example and play more songs that fit Rob's range as of now...

To be honest I've extracted the audio from DVDs and hence have live versions of Painkiller and Beyond the realms of death. It's just it might be a good 'mixed up' live album if they fanny about with it. Like Unleashed in the East. I'll still get it because I collect their albums.

Dio will be 67 in a month and he's not "weak" live.

If age is not a factor, then he most certainly is weak live! Go break out Holy Diver and than play the new H&H and tell me they're on the same page. They're not.

However: Dio for being almost 70, he sounds very impressive. He can still hit most of the notes, albeit his tone is absolutely shot.

Same goes for Halford, given his age, and the fact that he's been screaming his ass off for 150 nights a year for the past 30+ years.

Haha we should be lucky there's still an opportunity to even see them live. I wouldn't care if Rob was in a walker singing his Two material... it's Halford!

My thoughts exactly. I've never understood bitching about singers live unless they're young and suck consistently night after night.

Singing ain't guitar playing. Sickness, lack of sleep and a million other reasons can affect how a singer sounds on a daily basis.

He sounded good to me when I saw him live earlier this year. The only thing he doesn't do it stand up straight and bounce about more but that's what age does lol.

If age is not a factor, then he most certainly is weak live! Go break out Holy Diver and than play the new H&H and tell me they're on the same page. They're not.

However: Dio for being almost 70, he sounds very impressive. He can still hit most of the notes, albeit his tone is absolutely shot.

Same goes for Halford, given his age, and the fact that he's been screaming his ass off for 150 nights a year for the past 30+ years.

Come on, it's sure you can't compare Dio's range at age 41 with now. The guy is human. I just say that he still sounds impressive now at almost 67. His tone is surely not "shot". And he's still "alive" on the stage, compared to Halford, which is 9 years younger. I mean, I saw Priest live in 2005 and 2008 and thought that Halford was fine vocally except for his higher range, but he looks really like a grandpa on stage, standing still most of the time, barely moving, bent over to read his teleprompter. My friend, who is a HUGE Halford fan, even more than me, thought he looked a bit pathetic. After the 2005 show, we thought it was only a bad night, that he might have been sick. After the 2008 show (where he had the same "problems"), we had to accept that it's the Rob Halford we'll see on the stage from now on.

Compare Dio's moves on the stage 25 years ago and now with H&H and it didn't really change. He still moves. Compare what Halford did in the 80s, even in the early 90s with Fight, with him standing still most of the time now, it's like night and day. And it's sad...