New Katatonia, the tour and new band members

Klosure

Nov 26, 2009
I saw Katatonia last night and I think this deserves a thread of their own.

I've seen them perform quite a few times in the past, I have seen good gigs and very bad ones.

Last night I saw them play in the barfly I was stood at the front stood next to a twat who thought I would like a taste of his lovely blond hair every 5 minutes. Please guys if you going to go to a katatonia concert at least learn to move with some essence of rhythm if you insist on bouncing about and have some respect!

Anyway, interesting gig. The backing tracks do work, although I do feel like you loose something with it, however I can understand the difficulty in doing it any other way. Onto the positives and I think that having a few new members in the band has kickstarted a bit of personality. Much more engaging with the audience, and far more relaxed. Some humour as well a some on the fly solos from Sodomizer. His playing style is not Fredrik, and the same for the new bass player. I think Katatonia, specifically the new material does not suffer at all at the hands of new members.

For those Gearslutz around Anders is using his new GT10 on this tour, into his Laboga's, Sodomizer is using a Roland think its a CF-300 just good roland effects pedals and you'll find it, very good pedal. Jonas is using a TC-helicon vocal effects unit, very nice. TC is fantastic. Also noticed he is singing int an Audio Techinca dynamic mic. I am sure some of this is on band bio but just so you know if you wondering.

Performance wise, I think that they were pretty damb tight, given how quick they pulled of getting the band to learn this stuff so fast it was better in in tha sense than I have seen before.

For Katatonia I would give it a 7/10. I do think it was very good, in the past I saw them in Wolves (UK) (the last tour before 2 band members dropped out) that got a 3/10 from me I was surprised. In Bradford Rio (UK)just after great cold distance release I thought it was also about a 7/10, so yes it is a case as to whether the constancy lasts.

My final thoughts are that most bands have reached an end by this point, or tail of like Paradise Lost no longer making music that follows their dream (remember HOST, and how they gave up on it because the fans moaned).

Katatonia are still here, creating dark heavy music and further pushing the boundries, and they appear to be taing their live work more seriously, I can only see having new band members as being possibly the first time the live side of Katatonia really getting its act together.

LAst note on the support Act Swallow the Sun, its all very well making music like that but the lead singer is RUBBISH! The music has moments of greatness (Don't Fall Asleep) but what are they doing!

Gig Highlights:

1. Tonights Music was played - My Fav Song

2. Sodomizer breaking into solo in Idle Blood - Possibly the best played song of the night

3. Hearing such a vast amount of new material

4. Saw you Drown

you loose something with it

Why do so many people make this mistake? It's LOSE! LOSE!!

Loose is used, for example, if you bought shoes too big and they were "loose" on you. Or you were hit hard over the head and your brain came loose. (After reading your rambling post, I believe that may have happened to you at this show.)

Why do so many people make this mistake? It's LOSE! LOSE!!

Loose is used, for example, if you bought shoes too big and they were "loose" on you. Or you were hit hard over the head and your brain came loose. (After reading your rambling post, I believe that may have happened to you at this show.)

Hmm I dont know... Maybe because some of us doesn't live in a english speaking country?

I saw Katatonia in Nottingham last week and have to comment on the setlist, which was similar to the other gigs on the current tour.

I understand that the guys want to play many songs from NITND and that everything pre DO is out of the question. The songs from NITND were great, but I think VE and TGCD were way over represented. Only a single song (Saw You Drown, which was fantastic) from the first half of the band's discography makes little sense. Especially when mediocre songs such as Consternation and Wealth take their place.

A couple of songs from each of DO and TD would make for a much more balanced setlist and still leave room for plenty of newer songs.

i just think per sodomizer looks very skinny especially when stood next to jonas. doesn't look great been a lead guitarist when it looks like you just escaped fron auschwitz.

610x.jpg

I saw Katz in Luxembourg on March 15th. I had some doubt whether Sodomizer would fit in Katz, but after the show I completely changed my mind. He's a great guitarist and Nille wasn't bad either. In fact, Katatonia looks more scandinavian-metalish now, because of long haired dudes wandering around the stage :D But I tbh, I really miss Norrman brothers, since I managed to see the original K only once :(
A real amusement to us was the roadie guy who seemed to hail straight from Vietnam war era with M-16 ammo pouches and long hair and totally badass attitude.
As of the rest - Long Distance Calling was simply great and very, very enjoyable. Swallow the Sun... It was my first time seeing them and I had great hopes despite some opinions here in forums on their rather boring performance. It was good, yes, but only good. They didn't sound right to me and I have to admit it - a bit boring. Mikko is a great vocalist, but he looked as if he isn't enjoying this show and probably tour at all.

Even in my opinion Mikko from Swallow the sun is an outstanding vocalist, though I don't like so much those 'blackish' vocals I've heard here and there on some of their latest songs.

I watched a couple of live clips of these last gigs of Katatonia and both Sodomizer and Nille look very metal :headbang:. I would've liked not to know the set-list before the gig, but watching some clips around, more or less now I already know which songs they'll perform. By the way Jonas seems to be improved a lot from the last time I saw them live 2 years ago at the Darkfest. Can't wait for the next saturday :Spin: