New Katatonia

What is an "x-hat"? extra-hat?

yes, like this one... though i have no idea if this is what he actually uses... but when you hear hats on both sides, it's usually something like this set-up going on.

here's a pic where A is the main hats, attached to a pedal, and I is the X-hat, fixed in closed position, no pedal. X-hats are often just set closed, or to some degree of open, at the drummer's taste, so no pedal is needed.

kit-2008a.jpg

i know many drummers with them.

yes, like this one... though i have no idea if this is what he actually uses... but when you hear hats on both sides, it's usually something like this set-up going on.

here's a pic, where A is the main hats, attached to a pedal and I is the X-hat, fixed in closed position, no pedal. X-hats are often just set closed, or to some degree of open, at the drummer's taste, so no pedal is needed.

kit-2008a.jpg

i know many drummers with them.

thanks for the explanation, first time I hear about it

Not only am I amazed nobody besides James has heard of an X-hat, I do not hear this strange panning at all. Seriously confused right now.

Well the only thing I found strange is that x-hat because I didn't knew what it was, and the toms rolls are from right to left when I'm used to hear them from left to right. And I became interested in audio production only last christmas, before that I never noticed the production. So that x-hat thing is new for me since its the first time I notice it on an album.

And its nice to see that everyone have very different opinions about the album and its songs. On another forum someone said his favorite track was New night, when I think its the worst song on the album, by far. Same thing for departer, some really like it, some really hate it.

I've been a massive Katatonia fan ever since hearing 'Passing Bird' from LFDGD on a Metal Hammer compilation CD. I now own all of their albums, and previously would have named either Tonight's Decision or LFDGD as my favourite. Night Is The New Day has usurped the throne for me. I absolutely love this album. Here's what I wrote about it for OneMetal.com:

http://www.onemetal.com/2009/11/03/katatonia-night-is-the-new-day/

Can't wait to see what they come up with next.

I just received the CD in the mail today! W00t! I think this album really shows a musical progression of Katatonia. This is an entirely "outside the box" album for them in comparison to their other albums. There are lots of elements of Katatonia still in there, just in a different way. I am so glad they delayed going into the studio for as long as they did. This album is in no way a disappointment to me.

Jonas' vocals on this album are phenomenal. I really enjoy Daniel's drumming on this album as well.

Anyway you can make the hat hitting left and right for some atmospheres you wanna achieve. For example Charles Dye does the trick with a split harmonizer in his dvd.
In this case it's a x-hat

Yes it does.

Kinda funny, I keep looking through the booklet to find a hint that it was actually Mikael Åkerfeldt who sang on "Idle Blood".
Because IMO it sounds so much like him on that song... :D

I agree, Idle Blood really sounds like Mkael Akerfeldt :O

But this is seriously one of the albums of the year, Im completely in love with this, it's just an amazing piece of art by Katatonia. Not to mention the mix is incredible, very atmospheric, involving, killer drum sounds, mainly that fat snare, god I'm in love with this album.

Everyone is saying that Idle Blood is very Opethish and while I can agree to a point, I feel it has more of a Katatonia feel to it. Probably one of my favorite tunes off the album.

No, definitely 6/8, two different things ;) (6/8 is considered simple time because you count it more as 1-2, 1-2, subdivided as 123-456, 123-456, whereas 3/4 is compound time because you do indeed count it as 1-2-3, 1-2-3, the best example being a waltz). That said, I haven't heard the Katatonia song in question, so maybe it is 3/4, but knowing metal, somehow I doubt it!

No, definitely 6/8, two different things ;) (6/8 is considered simple time because you count it more as 1-2, 1-2, subdivided as 123-456, 123-456, whereas 3/4 is compound time because you do indeed count it as 1-2-3, 1-2-3, the best example being a waltz). That said, I haven't heard the Katatonia song in question, so maybe it is 3/4, but knowing metal, somehow I doubt it!

One year from now :)

I didn't say it sounds like Opeth, IMO it sounds like Mikael Åkerfeldt did guest vocals on it. :)
Just something about the way Jonas sings on the song.

Wasn't referring to anything you said in general...just what a lot of people have said about that particular song. I think the use of the mellotron and synthy stuff is more Opethy than the vocals.