New Katatonia

Yeah the album is pretty mellow overall, but I don't see an issue with that. The songs are great and the arrangements, singing and many of the lesser aggressive guitar parts are top notch. I did take me a couple of listens to get into because it is quite different from what I had expected but in the end I think this is one of their best albums.

A lot of stuff to digest on the first listen. Didn't hit me in the same way as TGCD, but I'm sure it will grow in me. I sense it has a huge potential.

The way that "Forsaker" line carries over the rest and back into the intro riff absolutely kills me - so gorgeous a transition!

Am I the only one hearing a shit ton of 'Opeth' in this album (especially in the cleaner stuff)?

I don't think they've made their heaviest songs in this album. I think one of their haviest songs is Wealth and I can't remember any song in this album sounding even close to that.

The way that "Forsaker" line carries over the rest and back into the intro riff absolutely kills me - so gorgeous a transition!

Am I the only one hearing a shit ton of 'Opeth' in this album (especially in the cleaner stuff)?

No, you are not the only one. "Idle Blood" sounds like a Deliverance outake...

I'm listening to this album now. Songs sound pretty good, but the mix in nowhere close to being as awesome as TGCD.

That second song is so incredibly spine-chill inducing. The tonality of Jonas' voice + the perfect little melody and vocal dynamics + Katatonia musical bigness (soft or heavy) = really incredible.

I'm listening to this album now. Songs sound pretty good, but the mix in nowhere close to being as awesome as TGCD.

I think the mix sounds great, but its really weird at the same time, especially the panning. Listen to the hat, you often hear it changing sides, like at the end of The Longest Year.

Anyway, album of the year for me. Maybe it will change when I'll hear the new Swallow the sun though.

I've really like this album, it's very mellow but i think it's pretty heavy at the same time. I do get abit of an opeth vibe at times, which isn't a bad thing. The vocals are really the highlight of this album in my opinion. Its not the same type of album as TGCD, but it's really good.

Upon first listen I would say it's a grower. There is definitely a Damnation vibe (in my opinion) going on, which is cool. I think that Jonas did a kick ass job on vocals this time around, not sounding nearly as flat as he did to me in the past, and I don't hear anything that's screaming autotune so :headbang:

So all in all, the heavies are heavier, the mellows are mellower. I would say put it on while getting fucked up or while fucking. Better yet, put it on while you are fucked up and fucking :lol:

Since Viva Emptiness they have been adding additional drum tracks to their drum tracks (like for example 3 cymbals being played, etc), so that might be what they did on this record as well

Definitely a grower. I had another long drive with it today so I've listened to it about 10 times throug now and I like it more and more each listen. I especially liked putting my headphones on in my darkened room lay night - found it almost haunting.

This album is fucking amazing. It is also my first exposure to Katatonia, believe it or not. For years I got Katatonia mixed up with a completely different band, so I never explored their music since I figured it wasn't something I would be into. Turns out they are amazing, and friends with Opeth, somehow I never noticed that even though Opeth is one of my favorite bands ever...

I feel incredibly dumb, but at least happy I finally discovered this music! Katatonia are likely to become one of my favorite bands in a hurry!

PS - this mix is unbelievable!!!

I used to get them confused with Kataklysm... both were "that band that uses K when a C would suffice". This was before I had listened to either of them very much, of course...

Jeff