New Keyboardist Seeking to learn to play like Pinella (some day)

I don't see why it would be logical for a keyboardist to rearrange the tuning on his keyboard. Guitarists tune down because they want their low E string to be a lower note than the standard E, thus heavier. A keyboardist has an 88 key scale (or maybe a little less if they're not using a full keyboard, but still) so they have access to every pitch from a low A, which is the equivilant of a 5 string bass tuned down a whole step, to notes way up there in the violin and flute range, so it would be pretty illogical for a keyboardist to adjust the tuning of his keyboard because the guitarist did it on his guitar.

Illogical then it is.

Another view: It would be easier to write sheet music having the instruments in the same tuning. For example a guitarist playing something in F#m while keyboardist playing in Em would make it too messy, IMO. I just got into thinking this because I always "downtune" keyboard along with guitars when writing sheet music.

Maybe I´m too stuck with those Guitar Pros and Powertab Editors...

But anyway, thank you for this information. :)

1by4by9 said:
Illogical then it is.

Another view: It would be easier to write sheet music having the instruments in the same tuning. For example a guitarist playing something in F#m while keyboardist playing in Em would make it too messy, IMO. I just got into thinking this because I always "downtune" keyboard along with guitars when writing sheet music.

Maybe I´m too stuck with those Guitar Pros and Powertab Editors...

But anyway, thank you for this information. :)

Sheet music is written in different keys for different instruments all the time. You think that when a jazz ensamble gets together the keyboard player tunes the piano down a whole step because the horns are a Bb instrument?

I just want to note something:

Guitarists don't ONLY tune their guitars a whole step lower just to get 2 lower semitones. That way the instrument acts like a shorter-scaled one and ALL notes are fatter, no matter where on the neck. If you've experimented with Drop D vs. D standard you'll have noticed that in the second one the tone is thicker.

Not to metion the :cool: tension it gives to 10-46/52 strings, PLUS you're no longer playing in the same f***ing key as every guitarist in the hood. :cool:

Hey i'm not overally experinced but i'll offer some good advice firstly
MAKE SURE YOU HAVE A WEIGHTED OR SEMI WEIGHTED KEYBOARD! i really cannot express this enough you know a good start would be

EMU PK6 - which i own it should be avallible for like $500 and has expansion cards for like $120 such as extra orchestra sounds and "xtreme leads" so i will be ordering these.

I have also heard very good things about the alesis q6.2

Most keyboards arnt 88key.... I wouldnt fuck around with tuning it different it will just confuse you (and most people!) the only tuning variation i do is maybe shift the entire keyboard up a whole 12 steps or down

if you wanna do keyboard solos and stuff practicing going over scales from the low c to the high c and just practice these (FINGERING IS ONE OF THE MOST IMPORTANT THINGS :) ) learn your keys like g major etc if you wanna work in a band and you need to shred etc and its just fun to improvise with backing tracks. Lead sounds are also pretty tricky to get right you could purchase a distortion pedal like a few metal keyboard players like jens and warman

If you need anything else i can try and help my msn address is finlandrocks@hotmail.com

Hope I helped :headbang:

@spellbound-by-the-bodom - I don't understand why should a light actioned keyboard not work. Somehow I link that sentence of yours with the usual "If you want to play guitar you gotta start on an acoustic"-style BS.

And can't you use the onboard DSP for distortion?

I don't know much about keyboards and don't think of pickin' one up, I'm just curious.

I could see one reason for detuning a keyboard. A lot of guitarists solo in A minor, right? And when they tune down a whole step, they play those same boxes and solo in G minor. Well, for a keyboard player, soloing in A minor is probably easy because it's all naturals, so if they have to go down to G, they could just detune and play the same keys. I think it's stupid though, most keyboard players actually know their scales and stuff. That's the first time I even heard of detuning keys.

Edit: I'm fallin asleep here, I don't know how much sense that made. o_O