New Macs!

greyskull

Mar 22, 2006
new macs with i3 i5 and i7 processors
new macpros with up to 12 cores
new magic trackpad (this looks AWESOME)

loads of cool stuff
see for your self

Never ended up getting a Magic Mouse, but this new trackpad thing looks great... It might work fantastic, I'd just need to test it beforehand...

Bye bye to gaming on my mac if I'll get one though...

Steve Jobs motherfucker. Now I totally want this Magic Trackpad. I have a MBP and LOVE my trackpad. Now I want this for my desktop.

I was about to drop the coin on a 27" iMac with i7 cpu, but my usual retailer(who offer 0% finance for 18months) no longer sell them :( This makes me a saaaaaad panda.

Are the i5's any good?

Man, 12 cores... I don't know if that or the $4,999 price tag is more ridiculous. Incredibly awesome, though. My 8-core is a mixing BEAST, but 12?! I wonder how much Apple is going to charge for the solid-state drive options. It would be cool if they kept it reasonable, or perhaps even cheaper than reasonable, in an effort to drive sales of the new machines, but I really don't see Apple doing that!

I just contacted Andertons to see what the deal was with these new Macs. I asked about the i7 and he said

Spec wise it’s a 2.93GHz i7 processor, 4GB 1333MHz DDR3 RAM (configurable up to 16GB), 1TB SATA hard drive.

And it's £1799. Considering there's a faster chip in there compared to the last model, it's only £30 more expensive. He also said this...

Thanks for your email. Apple refreshed the iMac and Mac Pro product lines yesterday, so there are new models available. Not hugely different, but mainly upgraded screens (now in 16:9 widescreen ratio) and upgraded graphics processing. The new ones are being added one by one to our website – the new 27” iMac is available with i3, i5 and i7 processors. The i7 is £1,799 with a lead time of 2-3 weeks. This will be on our site very shortly.

I thought they'd have had 16:9 ratio on the 27" screens anyway, but perhaps not.

I'm seriously planning to order the i7 on Friday. Any reason why I shouldn't?

I thought they might, fuck knows what he meant by that then. Perhaps he was comparing them to the 21.5" screens. I asked specifically about the 27" model.

Oh yeah, you can get a Solid State drive in your iMac along with the Sata drive for a mere £600.... ouch!

I priced a Hackintosh, was gonna cost me a small fortune as well. By the time I got a good quad core processor, a good motherboard, enough RAM to make it worth it and all the accessories I'd need/want, I was just like... I may as well spend the extra few quid and get an iMac.

I'm not dissing Hackintosh's, but I wasn't saving so much money that I thought "wow, this is an amazing deal"