Andreas89

New Metal Member
Jan 11, 2013
Hi all, newbie coming in :) I don't know if introduction topics are allowed, but I can't see anywhere that they aren't, so I'll do it anyway (that's why I study law).

So about me, my name is André, 23 years old, from the Netherlands. I've been into metal (mainly power metal) since the beginning of 2008 (not counting my Rammstein period when I was 15-17).

I'm raised christian, but I've always avoided christian metal. Until I wanted to buy the Sinbreed album because of the Blind Guardian drummer and the fact I liked the music, then I realised the christian message. I bought it anyway. It took me until the middle of 2011 to buy my second christian metal album, Mirror of Souls. One of the best shots in the dark I've ever taken, I was like "I like prog power metal lately and this is christian and always has good reviews, I should get over it". I think Theocracy is my favourite band right now.

Last summer I wanted to sign up here already, but there were some difficulties. So here I am, it's been 2 AM here and I decided to give it another shot. Good to see an active community here, I hope I can contribute :)

Welcome!

I was raised in a "Christian" family that nearly drove me to kill myself. Praise God for His faithfulness, despite the behaviour of His people (me included). Christian metal has been a great blessing to me, and Theocracy more than any other group.

Thanks for the welcomes :) yeah, I actually didn't expect so much depth in the lyrics of any christian band. Theocracy just has this great mixture of awesome music and some of the best lyrics I've ever heard in metal.

@Aish: that reminds me of a fairly famous story in Holland (don't know where it came from). Someone said to a preacher (I think): I love God, but I just don't like his ground personnel.

Yes indeed. On the other hand, even real christians can have huge blind spots. At least, I'm a "real" christian, and I know there's so much I do wrong that I don't even notice.

Hello, André, it's nice to have you aboard!

and yeah you picked a great band to enjoy, I just hope you find some other good Christian bands to enjoy for there are a lot of great lyricist out there, it's not all cheesy preachy :D

Hello, André, it's nice to have you aboard!

and yeah you picked a great band to enjoy, I just hope you find some other good Christian bands to enjoy for there are a lot of great lyricist out there, it's not all cheesy preachy :D

Name three Christian power metal bands other than Sinbreed and Theocracy that aren't cheesy preachy.

7days, Incrave, Essence of Sorrow, Wingdom, InnerWish, InnerSiege, Lightmare, Jacob's Dream, Antithesis, and maybe even some of Rob Rock's solo work. If you feel like checking them out, Rawshik, be my guest :p
Some of it is on my to-do list so I can't really vouch for what I say.

Welcome on board Andre! I'm from the Netherlands as well, from Hoogeveen. Great to meet fellow Dutchmen who dig Theocracy!!

7days, Incrave, Essence of Sorrow, Wingdom, InnerWish, InnerSiege, Lightmare, Jacob's Dream, Antithesis, and maybe even some of Rob Rock's solo work. If you feel like checking them out, Rawshik, be my guest :p

Last time I checked, almost all of those bands have super cheesy lyrics.

+1 to all of these. Great list of bands! I don't have Antithesis' first album, but I have all of the albums by the other bands on that list. Though I wouldn't call of those bands strictly power metal. Antithesis is more thrash with some prog overtones, IMHO. I would also place Jacobs Dream closer to prog than power metal. Their album "Beneath The Shadows" is a concept album about a man struggling with drug addiction then finally turning to God. Awesome album! Lightmare's "The Fool" is essential Christian power metal, though hard to track down nowadays.

Last time I checked, almost all of those bands have super cheesy lyrics.

You are entitled to your own opinion, no matter how far from the truth it may be.

Also my original statement was that there are plenty of metal bands (not power metal in particular) with decent lyrics.

@PE
I agree, man. Out of all of those I love Wingdom the most, and regret to see them split up after only one album.

Well first to all people welcoming me a big thanks :) Now some replies on what has been said so far.

Welcome on board Andre! I'm from the Netherlands as well, from Hoogeveen. Great to meet fellow Dutchmen who dig Theocracy!!
Nice, I'm not alone ;) although Hoogeveen isn't exactly near, since I live in Nijmegen (for my study).

As for preachy lyrics: I don't mind them. Personally, I find the lyrics from for example Hide in the Fairytale very preachy. But note that I consider "preachy" a good thing. It's a matter of surpressing your initial reaction and ask yourself if you can actually learn something from those lyrics. The same thing happens when in church, the preacher (or whatever it's called where you all live) or someone else has a little message for the children. Apart from the fact that I'm raised with an aversion against this practice, my first thought is: it's not for me. But on second thought, sometimes the message comes across to me, too. But this is just me.

Anyway, nowadays I even enjoy Golden Resurrection lyrics. Sometimes it can be a bit over the top, but it's a great therapy for me, since my "no-nonsense" upbringing when it comes to christian music (nothing good has probably ever happened since Bach).

Last point: I don't really consider InnerWish christian. OK, they're with Ulterium records, but I couldn't find much in their lyrics. Interviews with them didn't help either.

I agree, man. Out of all of those I love Wingdom the most, and regret to see them split up after only one album.

If you like Wingdom, have you tried Mehida? Mikko Harkin, the main force in Wingdom, is also the main force in Mehida. The song "Grace" from the album Blood & Water has a chorus that gives me goose bumps.

Grace is a personal favorite! Mehida seems a little way too complex for my ears, there's some prog I just don't understand, but I still love it. I can't let my limited capabilities hinder the listening of good music :)