Hi everyone !

Child Of God

Mar 6, 2010
I just signed up to Ultimate Metal, just for Theocracy's forum :)
So I will shortly describe who I am :)

Who am I ? :
I'm a young (16 years old) French Christian, and I really want to have a good path with God, in the Spirit and the Truth (but there is a lot of work to do !).
I only listen to SOME Christian bands ('cause there are Christian bands which have not a really "Christian" behavior), I don't listen to any secular band so.

My musical tastes :
I have been listening to Christian Metal for some months, and Theocracy is still my favorite Christian Metal band. I personnaly think they are blessed a lot !
I like a lot Power / Progressive Metal (Theocracy, Dream Quest, Majestic Vanguard...), Melodic Metal (Sacrecy, Norman...) and Symphonic Metal (HB, Harmony, Symphonity...)...
But I listen to others genres of music (but only Christian bands/artists), and I like bands/artists such as Morning Star, Chris Tomlin, Michael W. Smith...
I also like some Christian rock bands like Skillet, Red, Pillar, Thousand Foot Krutch (but I think they are too comercial bands :( ).

That's all I think :)

I don't listen to any secular band so.

But I listen to others genres of music (but only Christian bands/artists)

You're really limiting yourself there, there's a lot of great music that's not Christian-based. I can see not listening to "satanic" or "evil" bands (e.g. Slayer, Venom, Slipknot, etc.) but just because it isn't explicitly Christian doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to it.

Also, welcome!

If you think Skillet are commecial, or sold their faith out, you HAVE to watch this video....the speech in the beginning is incredible.
I checked it out. I was wrong about them, and it suits me because I love their music :D
I am just suspicious when something is to beautiful to be real :)

You're really limiting yourself there, there's a lot of great music that's not Christian-based. I can see not listening to "satanic" or "evil" bands (e.g. Slayer, Venom, Slipknot, etc.) but just because it isn't explicitly Christian doesn't mean you shouldn't listen to it.
What I have is enough for me. I know I am limited, but it's my choice. I'm not forbidden to listen to non-Christian music some times but I have Christian CDs on my computer or MP3-Player.

Welcome to the Circus :D

Also, welcome!
Not really, I have almost 2000 Christian-only songs, and get easily get a hundred more that I never heard before. If that's limiting, well ... lol

What I have is enough for me. I know I am limited, but it's my choice. I'm not forbidden to listen to non-Christian music some times but I have Christian CDs on my computer or MP3-Player.

Well said :D

I used to like Skillet a bit before I realized their was Christian metal. I actually went to one of their concerts and they seemed like genuine Christians. However, a friend of mine told me that they would swear and such when touring with secular bands. I'm not really sure if this is true though.

Some other Christian metal/progressive rock you may want to check out are:

Thieves And Liars
Shadow Gallery (while some people may debate the fact that they I list them as Christian, many of the members profess to be so, and the lyrics often reflect this)
Orphan Project
Kerry Livgren (albums such as Seeds of Change)
Amaseffer (technically Jewish, but their album focuses on the deliverance of the Hebrew people in Exodus)

Here are some other artists/bands that do not fit into the same genre but I still enjoy:
Rich Mullins
Jars of Clay (debut album)
Petra
Anberlin
Clay Crosse
Newsboys (older stuff)

They do glorify God at live concerts but they don't for everything else because it's easier :cry: to get fans. don't get me wrong. I love skillet, but their message is getting watered down. :erk:
And why do they want fans? To bring them to Christ!
It's one thing to preach to the choir, it's another to actively go out and hit non-believers with doeses of awesome Christian Hard Rock.

Christ never came to save the believers. :D

And dudu, I probably swear more than most of you here, but it's a running gag with my closest friends, out of fun, it's a flaw, but it never kept me from doing good, don't stress over some technicalities. :p

Christ never came to save the believers. :D

And dudu, I probably swear more than most of you here, but it's a running gag with my closest friends, out of fun, it's a flaw, but it never kept me from doing good, don't stress over some technicalities. :p

I probably should have clarified more. Swearing doesn't really both me, it's just the fact that they would act differently depending on who their with.

And why do they want fans? To bring them to Christ!
But they're using tools of the World to bring them to Christ, and this IS apostasy. But God loves them and uses them anyway, their desires are certainly to serve the Lord, but the way they do it is the World's way to bring people to sin... I'm sorry but God won't change and won't take OUR point of view. I say that, but I would have preferred it was the contrary (because I like their music A LOT)...

Not really, I have almost 2000 Christian-only songs, and get easily get a hundred more that I never heard before. If that's limiting, well ... lol
I have just a half of what you have and it's not so limiting with that amount... and 2000 Christian-songs are really enough I think ! :D

It's one thing to preach to the choir, it's another to actively go out and hit non-believers with doeses of awesome Christian Hard Rock.
Yes, but the Word of God is enough for that. They should'nt use the World's tools to bring them to Christ, because these are tools of the flesh, and like all tools of the flesh, it doesn't last a lot of time (in a many cases) if there is nothing done after (like praying for them for a while, telling them the Word of God...).

Thank you for the list, dudu, I will check these bands out, I didn't know about some of these :)

But they're using tools of the World to bring them to Christ, and this IS apostasy. But God loves them and uses them anyway, their desires are certainly to serve the Lord, but the way they do it is the World's way to bring people to sin... I'm sorry but God won't change and won't take OUR point of view. I say that, but I would have preferred it was the contrary (because I like their music A LOT)...

No, this is NOT apostasy. For it to be apostasy, the music itself would have to bring them away from God, if the lyrics are genuinely Christian. An example of actual apostasy would be the lead singer of Slayer, who identifies as Catholic, but if you look at some of their lyrics, it's hard to think that he's genuine in his faith. But the music does not bring people to sin -- only words can do that; music is just sound.
The music itself is not sinful, not evil, not indulgent... it's just music. There's nothing inherently good or bad about it. The lyrics are what gives music its message and purpose. I don't even like their music, but I'm still confident that they are not guilty of apostasy.
God gave the world all the gifts that we have, including music, and He allows us to use them as we will, since it DOES have the power to bring people to God.

I have just a half of what you have and it's not so limiting with that amount... and 2000 Christian-songs are really enough I think ! :D

Wow... I only have about 700 songs total, and most of that is secular. This is because I'm rather picky about the music I listen to; I only have 11 bands that I listen to most often, and a few more beyond that.

Yes, but the Word of God is enough for that. They should'nt use the World's tools to bring them to Christ, because these are tools of the flesh, and like all tools of the flesh, it doesn't last a lot of time (in a many cases) if there is nothing done after (like praying for them for a while, telling them the Word of God...).

And who says they don't pray and spread the Word? Just because it is "of the World" does NOT mean it can't have God in it. Nobody truly knows what God wants or thinks. Almost anything can be used to spread the Gospel, if it is done right and with the right intentions. Sadly, there are "Christian" bands that have stopped praising Him, but Skillet is not one of these.

I used to like Skillet a bit before I realized their was Christian metal. I actually went to one of their concerts and they seemed like genuine Christians. However, a friend of mine told me that they would swear and such when touring with secular bands. I'm not really sure if this is true though.

Some other Christian metal/progressive rock you may want to check out are:

Thieves And Liars
Shadow Gallery (while some people may debate the fact that they I list them as Christian, many of the members profess to be so, and the lyrics often reflect this)
Orphan Project
Kerry Livgren (albums such as Seeds of Change)
Amaseffer (technically Jewish, but their album focuses on the deliverance of the Hebrew people in Exodus)

Here are some other artists/bands that do not fit into the same genre but I still enjoy:
Rich Mullins
Jars of Clay (debut album)
Petra
Anberlin
Clay Crosse
Newsboys (older stuff)

I LOVE THIEVES AND LIARS!

No, this is NOT apostasy. For it to be apostasy, the music itself would have to bring them away from God, if the lyrics are genuinely Christian. An example of actual apostasy would be the lead singer of Slayer, who identifies as Catholic, but if you look at some of their lyrics, it's hard to think that he's genuine in his faith. But the music does not bring people to sin -- only words can do that; music is just sound.
The music itself is not sinful, not evil, not indulgent... it's just music. There's nothing inherently good or bad about it. The lyrics are what gives music its message and purpose. I don't even like their music, but I'm still confident that they are not guilty of apostasy.
God gave the world all the gifts that we have, including music, and He allows us to use them as we will, since it DOES have the power to bring people to God.
Sorry but I can't agree, you're reasoning with your own mind, I would have said the same thing if I reasoned with my own mind (What I say is against my own reasoning, cause I like these musics). If you mix things of the World and the Church, you obtain the Prostitute of the Apocalypse, it's what a lot of churches are (Sorry, but it's written in the Bible that it will exist).

If you say that you need the World's tools to bring people to life, you don't trust in the Word of God.

About the music, it transports in itself a lot of things : there are music that makes you laugh, cry, that demonstrates hate, love, violence and agressivity, calm... so it is not neutral in my opinion.

I won't continue arguing about this, because I have not enough knowledge, but I want to say one thing : God doesn't think like man, and what He thinks is craziness for us. Don't listen to yourself but listen to God. If you really want to serve Him you will have to fight against yourself, like I fight against myself to say some of the things above. But I have to persevere cause I still listen to "bad" (not really but I don't find other word sorry) music, I have to pray for God to change my mind and my heart, cause I'm not perfect, and some things have to change :)

It was interesting to see your point of view though.
God bless you !

And who says they don't pray and spread the Word? Just because it is "of the World" does NOT mean it can't have God in it. Nobody truly knows what God wants or thinks. Almost anything can be used to spread the Gospel, if it is done right and with the right intentions. Sadly, there are "Christian" bands that have stopped praising Him, but Skillet is not one of these.
God can use them, even if they make some mistakes ! :)
Skillet are not bad (they do good things and bad things), I don't know them personnaly, they are sinners like you and me so they can make mistakes too. But as He is with us when we fall, He is with them even when they fall. :)
Although I like this band a lot (my #1 Rock band !), I can't say they are perfect :)
Anyway, I can't judge them, and God will do it :)

God bless you !

It is not true.

Child Of God, you are being intolerant and overall ignorant. Because this does not affect me in any way, shape, or form, however, I will not continue this debate unless you start being logical instead of judgemental. If you truly believe that Christian bands are somehow having a band influence on you, your loss.

The opinions of what kind of music can be used to glorify God tends to change over time. If you would have lived 50 years ago, you would think different of rock, let alone metal.

Music works on the emotions. True. Some Psalms would tell their message best if the music would make you feel really miserable (about yourself, for example), others would prefer happiness in the music. Time will teach us what combinations of lyrics and music work best for most people, but there will always be some guys and gals who like strange combinations.

Child Of God, you are being intolerant and overall ignorant. Because this does not affect me in any way, shape, or form, however, I will not continue this debate unless you start being logical instead of judgemental. If you truly believe that Christian bands are somehow having a band influence on you, your loss.
1) I'm not intolerant, I'm just... radical. I don't want to make mistakes, I don't want to do what I want to do (strange ??), maybe I'm too severe with myself, I just want to be carefull. And yes, I AM ignorant. I don't believe that Christian bands have a bad influence, just that they use the wrong tools in my opinion.

2) I'm not judgmental. If you think something is wrong with someone, won't you try to help and correct him/her ? It's what I try to do. But, as you said, I'm ignorant about a lot of things, so I may be wrong on certain things. But the only thing I'm sure of is that God don't think the same way as you and I. If I try reasoning my own I'm wrong (maybe I did that).

Please believe me, I just want to discover the truth, if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong, I don't mind (I would have prefered you were right, maybe you are, I don't know). I'm young and don't have enough knowledge about God to debate, that's true. I'm in doubt with a lot of things, so I come across a lot of internal struggles, and I am not clear when I speak...

(I'm a strange boy I know)

PS : I'm sorry if you thought that I judged these bands, it wasn't my intention. Please forgive me.
God bless you

But where do you draw the line that says that "this music is of the world, and should not be used to spread the Word" but "this music is holy and good"? I would say that it's either all, or none. The attitude that some music is "evil" and some is "good" does not come from the Bible; it comes from society. Back in the 40s and 50s, the music that was thought to be evil, Satanic, carnal? It was jazz. But now, Jazz is considered the music of pretentious intellectuals (along with Classical) and has pretty much no connection with Satan... Even Bach was considered dangerous by the Church and State back when he was making music.

They said to Bach three hundred years ago
You work in the Church, there's something you should know
We hired you to write music that glorifies
But these toccatas and fugues just simply horrify
He said "they're simply notes put together in bars
And why you think that's wrong, I just throw up my arms"

You say this pace beckons evil spirits
But I care not what you call it
To me it's two hundred beats per minute
On tablature I scrawled it

-- "Besprinkled in Scarlet Horror", Tourniquet

I'm not saying that's scripture or anything, but it's a very good way to look at the matter.

FleshandBlood:
I'm gonna say it once and for all. TAKE A CHILL FOR ONCE! You're always pointing your finger at someone. I'm tired of it to tell you the truth. This is for your own good. You need to stop getting in peoples faces for things that are unimportant. You have acted the same way to me many times and I held back, now you're doing it to someone who clearly has good intentions and a better heart than me, I can't hold back. You need to look in the mirror before pointing the finger. You tell others of their pride while you go on bragging about your "150 iq". I know, I'm being a jerk. I shouldn't be but dude you have not listen to one of us. It's very immature, the way you confront people. I know, I'm immature I can admit it. I'm prideful. I can admit that too. Remember:

Matthew 7:3-5

"Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye? How can you say to your brother, 'Let me take the speck out of your eye,' when all the time there is a plank in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the plank out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to remove the speck from your brother's eye."

@Child of God:

Some of the things you say are based off of society not the bible... BUT... I do respect avoiding things that cause you to sin. THAT is important.