New OSA site: THE WAIT IS OVER!!!

Yes everyone, you read that right...OSA is back on the web!

After a year and a half of casting out a line for a new webmaster and not getting so much as a nibble, I decided to take the matter into my own hands and build a small website for OSA. For everyone here who has stood by us through these times, I felt I owed it to all of you to at least try.

It's a free website, so it's nothing too fancy or over-the-top, but it is something, which is more than what we've had for a long time.

There are a few things that still need fixing; we had a lovely banner donated to the new site by one of the members of Nightwish forum, but for some reason it will not load to the new site. But I did not think that lack of a proper banner should be any reason for keeping the rest of the page from being seen.

I know it's not much, but hopefully we will grow over time and move ourselves to a proper web address.

For now, some of the features of the new OSA site include links to all of our supportive friends and affiliates, an extensive FAQ, latest Nightwish news, pictures from the various DPP concerts from the U.S., and a special section that is dear to all our hearts...a tribute to Marc Brueland, created especially for the OSA site by the Brueland family themselves.

So go and check out the new site and feel free to give constructive criticism...this was my first attempt ever at building a website so please do not throw the rocks at me too hard! :lol:

Visit the new OSA site:
Oceansouls of America

Thanks to EVERYONE here for all your support, and your patience!

I'm glad to see the website back. Congrats to OSA and especially to you C. ! :headbang:

Without an actual website the discussion here on the OSA-board has been quite silent for a couple of years compared to what we got used to before the previous version of OSA website was hacked constantly and had to be taken down.

Now it's time to spread the word about OSA everywhere before the tour in May starts and get this place active again with old and new members. I know a lot of people do visit this board to see what's up with Nightwish but the visitors don't say a word.

Now, speak up! It's time to start discussing about Nightwish, metal in general and everything else interesting in our world again.

Kiitos Enigma, it is because of folks like you that the OSA has survived this last year and a half without a proper website. And your kind words certainly are appreciated. :)

By all means, this website should have been built a long time ago, and I had meant to devote '08 to getting us back on the web, before circumstances kept me out for most of the year.

So the new banner is up, but we're still working on fixing some glitches. One annoying factor about the new website is that the template does not allow you to get rid of the page title, so it sticks inside the banner like a sore thumb. We're working on coloring the banner just right so that way the text can be hidden.

Added on a couple more links, and there is room left in the Gallery for people to send pictures of the shows in May!

Just bookmarked the site.
It's great to see you guys back up and running. Hopefully lots of people should swing by and add their tuppence worth.
I'm thinking of writing a long in-depth review of 'Once upon a Nightwish' as part of my WriYe portfolio. Do you want it? I probably wouldn't be able to do anything else as I'm UK based, but I feel a lot more at home here than anywhere else. What with lurking the other boards for an epic amount of time and finally joining when you all moved to UM.

Just wondering out loud...is there any way of saving or backing up a website including links? It's just with our well-documented problems with hack attacks It's worth looking into. I'll have a nosey and see what comes up.

Seraph: By all means, share your review!

As far as backing up everything goes, I have pretty much everything saved in text or Word documents. I was surprised how easy it was for me to build this site. The good thing is that there are certain filters in the server that help keep the possibility of hacking to a minimum. I had all of my files that I contributed to the old OSA on file anyway, so this is probably another reason why it didn't take me very long to put it together.

The new banner is up and I think it looks beautiful. A huge thanks to Swanheart from Nightwish forum for making it.

I'm surprised one of us didn't think of this solution sooner. And almost as good as the fact that we have a page up again, is that now we can all bitch at C when something doesn't get done, yay!

Hehe just kidding. No one works harder than C.

That looks really good and it does the job! Nice work!

Thanks for linking my site on there as well. I still wish everyone the best here. You'll always be family.

I notice that an owl is on the case for the MCD...hmmm...

Oh wow, I just saw it just now. It's been almost 8 days since I opened up nominations and there's only been a total of 4 nominations. That simply isn't going to help me out. It's going to take at least 11 nominations to be able to cover all 81 of the eligible songs. Or more, depending on what 10 songs everyone decides to post for their list.

I've already stated that I could discontinue running "Nightwish Survivor" as a result of a poor number of nominations. If that happens, it would probably be a good idea to remove the "Nightwish Survivor" section in the news.

Yeah, but you also said in your post that the contest will run until April 17th. Give people a chance to vote, I say. There are still some folks making up their lists.

Latest updates to the site: the band history section is complete, and I am proud to announce OSA's newest friends, the official John Two-Hawks website, Bazillion Points (purchase the book Once Upon a Nightwish from this site and receive a free limited edition pin), and the German fan club. :D Our longtime friends at the French fan club have also linked the new site to theirs.

Pictures of the NYC and Philly shows from '07 were also put in the Gallery, courtesy of Tramz. :)

Dang it, I didn't know you could get a free button with the book. I already ordered through Barnes and Noble. I added my picks to the Survivor list, hopefully more people will do it, because I'm interested to see the results.
The banner looks amazing.
I'm not sure if someone said this or not, but I would suggest putting a larger forum link in the main site, like on the left pane.
Keep up the good work on the site!

Hate to double-post, but there's a good reason.

For those of you who didn't receive my e-mail, OSA has moved to a new address and has changed their look. We're still with EzWeb, but they have changed their format so we had to change along with them (or lose the original site in July). So the new(er) site is finished for everyone to look at.

Some good things about the new site: finally, a direct link to the OSA forum. A more streamlined "news" page. A section where visitors to the site can contact the OSA council if they would like to contribute content to the site. A larger Gallery, so more pictures from the May tour can be seen!

Some not-so-good things: Because there is a page length limit on the new site, the Band History section has not been transferred to the new site. The old link will still be up until July 17th, and Matt from Empty Spiral has offered to host the page for the time being, until I can move it over to EzWeb. The same goes for the News page. So be sure to bookmark any links that are on those pages before that time! Another not-so-good thing, the default banner on the front page must stay because we have the free site with adverts, so I'm not allowed to change it or put our beautiful banner on the front page. I hope to be able to find a way around that in the near future.

In just the few hours since I've sent the e-mail and put up the links at all our affiliates, the OSA site has received over 50 hits. So let's keep the momentum going!

And hopefully this will be our last change of address for a long time!
Oceansouls of America

Thanks to everyone for your support! Special thanks to Georgio from EzWeb for all the technical support, and the Brueland family for their participation on the Walking in the Air page.

For those of you who didn't receive my e-mail, OSA has moved to a new address and has changed their look. We're still with EzWeb, but they have changed their format so we had to change along with them (or lose the original site in July). So the new(er) site is finished for everyone to look at.

I didn't receive an e-mail. Assuming you sent it through this forum's e-mail feature (the official Nightwish forum has something like this), then you wouldn't have been able to send me an email since I had the feature disabled so no one could send me an e-mail.

But I did check out the new site.

I didn't receive an e-mail. Assuming you sent it through this forum's e-mail feature (the official Nightwish forum has something like this), then you wouldn't have been able to send me an email since I had the feature disabled so no one could send me an e-mail.

No, I didn't do it that way, I just sent a mass e-mail to all the OSAers of whom I have their e-mail addresses.

A little more than 24 hours since I posted the link to the new site everywhere, and we have nearly 100 hits! Yay!