New Pagans Mind !!

Bryant

Mr. Sleepy
Apr 14, 2002
Sweet home Alabama
Visit site
Unfortunatelt I received reviews I wasn't happy with before PPVI so I waited until then to buy it. Damned was that a mistake. I am totally blown away by this release. Anyone else out there dig this ?

Bryant

The main criticism seems to be that it's just Celestial Entrance II, no progression.

I bought the new one first, liked it, and thought of getting Celestial Entrance. After hearing soundbites, I decided not to bother just yet because the two albums sound so similar.

adaher said:
The main criticism seems to be that it's just Celestial Entrance II, no progression.

I bought the new one first, liked it, and thought of getting Celestial Entrance. After hearing soundbites, I decided not to bother just yet because the two albums sound so similar.

I don't know how to answer that...... it is very similar, but I sugest picking up CE. It is not like they tried to make the same album again.

Bryant

I will eventually. It's just that I only had so much to spend at ProgPower, so that got dropped from my list. And I won't have more CD money for a little while.

Enigmatic : Calling equals Celestial Entrance II? I couldnt disagree more.

As a matter of fact I think other than production, the songs have a more straight ahead approach with the occasional progressive elements thrown in. Theres even an electric accoustic song on there, that they have never even attempted recording on previous albums.

The CD absolutely smokes, and I think these guys are the top of the Power/Prog Metal mix genre.

Celestial Entrance is much better in my opinion, and certainly more progressive. Their new one is melodic metal meets power with fewer proggy elements thrown in.

I also think Celestial Entrance has the best production of all there Pagan's Mind discs. It's crisp and punchy.

adaher said:

and every Strato cd is totally different?

CE is a killer cd from beginning to end as is E:N

DrumRman said:
Enigmatic : Calling equals Celestial Entrance II? I couldnt disagree more.
Realy? I think there are overwhelming similarities between the two.

DrumRman said:
As a matter of fact I think other than production, the songs have a more straight ahead approach with the occasional progressive elements thrown in.
The musical approach is slightly different. However, the production, melodies and lyrics are very, very similar.

DrumRman said:
Theres even an electric accoustic song on there, that they have never even attempted recording on previous albums.
Introducing one new instrument, for one song, hardly creates any seperation between the two CDs when compared as wholes.

DrumRman said:
The CD absolutely smokes, and I think these guys are the top of the Power/Prog Metal mix genre.
I'll respectfully disagree. This is a band with one very good CD, and two average CDs.

Zod

I just picked it up Monday. I haven't had time to really listen it yet but from what I heard nothing grabbed me yet. I'll give a better review once I've had time to listen to it properly.

I actually think that Enigmatic Calling is better than CE. I just enjoy the albums song structure more. Maybe it was because I heard EC before CE.

enigmatic calling is maybe the best prog-powermetal album since Image and Words.
Really i can´t remember any other album but Image and Words which blew me so much away. I listen to it for months.

what a damn talented band and incredible musicians they are!
A real masterpiece.

My album of the year 2005

General Zod said:
Realy? I think there are overwhelming similarities between the two.

Zod

LOL, of course theres gonna be similarities.....they play a certain genre of Power/Prog metal. I really dont understand the concept here you're getting at. Dont most Metal bands stay in some sort of circle of genre, and basically mix up melodies and riffs?

Sure its got the same style, but riff wise, and melody wise its 2 seperate CD's IMO.

Id like to be pointed out exactly how CE sounds like EC. What melodies, and riffs are that similiar that it would be considered the same in any area other than the actual genre of music played.

Oh and IMO CE is the superior album. I believe because it was the first CD ever since DT's Images and Words, that became the big dominant CD for me. As of today no other CD on this planet, surpasses this sucker......and boy have I heard a ton of em.

Of course I realize its just an opinion. :)

DrumRman said:
LOL, of course theres gonna be similarities.....
I actually didn't say there were "similarities". I said there are "overwhelming similarities".

DrumRman said:
Sure its got the same style, but riff wise, and melody wise its 2 seperate CD's IMO.
Are they seperate, as in they come with different titles and different artwork? Yes. Is there anything that distinguishe one from the other. Not as far as I hear.

DrumRman said:
Id like to be pointed out exactly how CE sounds like EC. What melodies, and riffs are that similiar that it would be considered the same in any area other than the actual genre of music played.
Their similar in the sense that any 95% of the material from EC, sounds like it would fit perfectly on CE. Add in to this equation that I think the songs on CE are much stronger, and I find this CD to be a disappointment.

Zod

Maybe you don´t know.. but the three pagan´s mind albums are following a concept. Itßs a trilogie.
It´s a science fiction story like star wars... So similarities in lyrics may be found - LOL.

If you got a booklet. take a look into it.

I like them all but i will say that Enigmatic:Calling is my fave.
CE had too many blatant ripped off sections in some of their songs.
Especially DT's 'Learning to Live' and VH's 'Pleasure Dome'.
I can't pick any direct rips on the new one :)

@ Taliwakker...

The "learning to live" - part also appears on the titletrack of enigmatic calling.

I had the chance to talk with the guitar player. He told me that they did include this part with purpose as kind of "tribute" because they adore Image and Words so much.
Well... Call it "tribute" or "Ripp-Off"... i believe the tribute thing, because the similarity is so obviously that everybody who knows "learning to live" must notice it from the first hearing. And who would be so stupid to plagiate the same part twice?

But that´s infact the only section which you could name "blatant ripped off section".

you can hear indeed a lot of influences.. Whitesnake/John Sikes, Dream Theater/Petrucci, and some licks that were inspired by Eddie van Halen.
- But calm down.. even a great guitar player -that he is with no doubt- has his idols.

What matters is the songwriting and that is just AMAZING. You have to hear it a couple of times to get a picture of these incredible Arrangements.

oceanmachine said:
Maybe you don´t know.. but the three pagan´s mind albums are following a concept. Itßs a trilogie.
Thanks. I had no idea that was the case. I thought, in the liner notes of CE, it comments that the CD has a theme, but that it's not necessarily a concept CD.

While I have no problem with a storyline that's not spoonfed to the listener (ala Opeth's "Still Life"), I have to wonder about these CDs that are "concept albums", when it's not clear that it's even a concept album, much less what the concept is (ala Angra's "Temple of Shadows").

Zod