New possible spins on upcoming Opeth record...

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
I really like some of the ideas involving the psychedelic / 70's prog themes. I would love to hear some ideas based around Pink Floyd's meddle album. I would also like to hear some return to the nice folky guitar playing, which wasn't very apparent on GR.
Definately a really heavy song with Mike just singing with his clear style (e.g Bleak, Baying of the Hounds).
The metal parts need to become "majestic" sounding again (e.g. last 3 mins of BWP).

i dont think they "NEED" to do anything.

Well, they need to record a new album, otherwise I will stalk them and... like... make scary faces at them or something.

NineFeetUnderground said:
i dont think they "NEED" to do anything.

Yes you're quite correct. I know someone who is a friend of Mikaels and she said that he is a big fan of Anekdoten and Paatos, so perhaps they might go down that route. I would enjoy it for sure. I am sure we have already heard some examples of this influence (Paatos) on damnation ;)

An instrumental song without guitar.

Passages where u only hear one instrument i.e a bass solo/riff

some strings, flutes etc. not too much though

a female guest vox on 1 or 2 songs (especially for harmonies).

Kir-ir-Bannog said:
Yes you're quite correct. I know someone who is a friend of Mikaels and she said that he is a big fan of Anekdoten and Paatos, so perhaps they might go down that route. I would enjoy it for sure. I am sure we have already heard some examples of this influence (Paatos) on damnation ;)

look...prog noob...hes also a fan of kiss and joni mitchell...but i dont think the next record is going to take that road my friend. i understand your excitement of finding progressive rock bands and wanting Opeth to become one of them, but i definitely think Opeth isnt shedding their "metal" side any time soon. It wouldnt make a whole lot of sense.

I also heard that Mike Patton and Garm are goign to be doing some guest work on the upcumming opef evil darkness ablum.

NineFeetUnderground said:
lol, it wasnt a "prog" album. you people REALLY need to get your defenitions straight.

Well I don´t know how view the prog term, but just cos the songs aren´t 15 min doesn´t mean damnation doesn´t have alot of prog elements IMO. Anyway it was meant as a tribute to mike´s prog/psych influences and my point was simply anything like that will simply not be released..

Korlich said:
Well I don´t know how view the prog term, but just cos the songs aren´t 15 min doesn´t mean damnation doesn´t have alot of prog elements IMO. Anyway it was meant as a tribute to mike´s prog/psych influences and my point was simply anything like that will simply not be released..
1) what? the album was a tribute to mikes influences? lol.

2) you obviously dont even know what the term progressive music means.

Korlich said:

prog elements? look...it was pretty much a pop song structured album, with purely acoustic and little distortion electrified guitar, with some mellotron backing strings and a dash of organ and piano. thats not exactly "prog elements". it was more cohesive opeth without growling and tons of distortion. though it tips its had to some psych/popsike here and there. but to really truly fair...to Opeth as well, it was very unique for what it was. he COULD have just done a straight up psychedelic album, but damnation really doesnt sound too much like anything else in either genre.

all_sins_undone said:
1) what? the album was a tribute to mikes influences? lol.

2) you obviously dont even know what the term progressive music means.

Well i reckon I do, even I dont believe to much in labels as many genres overlap prog rock/ art rock/ avantgarde/ and Black metal/death/doom etc. d1 was a tribute to his 60´s and 70´s prog/psych influences watch lamentations if u don´t believe me. And it makes sense you have RTC as an old skool DM tribute, Steel as HM tribute.