New possible spins on upcoming Opeth record...

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
shorter songs .... except for hours of wealth, atonement and isolation years i think all songs of GR are too long. this is especially noticable in grand conjuration and harlequin forest (this song starts so amazing but after the first growl section it has lots of lenghty parts). i'd also prefer more 'despair' on the new record. too much major key stuff on GR imo ... it doesnt suit opeth as good as the minor key stuff =D. i'd like to hear more ' minimalistic' clean parts too ... but i dunno how to phrase that correctly ...

Agree with the shorter songs comment, but i'd actually want LESS minimalism like the acoustic interlude is in fair judgment or benighted.

Necromantic-Hiko said:
Some more atmospheric/keyboard/piano sections would be a nice section. If they were going to do another ballad type song (which is think is obvious they will) I feel Per should be utilized far more in this sense... I guess you could say Silhouette-esque...except nothing that...'abstract' :erk: Much more smooth, mellow. Alot of peopel think Per was too obvious on the new record, i think he wasn;t used enough/effectively enough...though i love his contributions, i know he can bring alot more than what he did.

i agree. i think they only skimmed the surface of what Per could bring to the table in this band. im really hoping that additional layer of depth, melody and texture is added that really could/should be there due to his presence. but i certainly dont think less keyboards is the answer...theres 7 Opeth albums with little to no keyboards so far...a return back to meat and potatos Opeth structure would NOT be a good or interesting thing imo.

metal_wrath said:
As in "Get Swano back behind the boards" or even better get Nordstrom who produced MAYH. Maybe I'm the only one who doesn't favor Steven Wilson's contributions, I think that Opeth lost something in their style when they gained more 'prog' influences and started using some of the new sounds beginning with Blackwater Park.

good god man, you need to wash all that wax out of your ears!! WTF are you talking about? Steve Wilson detrimental to the progression of Opeths sound?
You=:yuk: :erk: :puke:

NineFeetUnderground said:
thats nice. as ive said in previous threads...some people are fine eating peanut butter and jelly every single day. some arent. to each their own.
...why ruin a good thing?

I wouldn't mind them fucking with their song structures a bit. Think of new ways to bring a song to an exciting climax, for example Blackwater Park. That song comes to an incredible climax.

this question just popped into my mind: Do you think some minimalistic electronic passages would work?

I certainly like the idea

I'd like some cello or contrabass, not full on orchestration however, more in the vein of chamber music. If any of you have listened to Sopor Aeternus and the Ensemble of Shadows, particularly the albums Dead Lover's Sarabande Face 1 and Face 2, you will know what I'm talking about.

i too think a long progged out song without metal riffs would be fucking glorious. probably wont happen though.

using per fore more than "insert organ here" or "insert mellotron here" parts would be awesome, like they did with the flute-like synth towards the end of GoP.

i think i might like more songs structured like beneath the mire too. there's so many changes in that song but it seems so cohesive for some reason.

i really think that opeth has done everything they can do in the style of mayh/sl/bwp and it's time to move on. GR is certainly a step, but not nearly as big of a leap as mayh was from mr. i'd like the next album to be as far away from middle era opeth as possible. i'd almost welcome a jump as large as, say, ulver's natterns madrigal and themes from blake.

For those of you who dislike GR, just remember, they never make the same album twice (theyre not the chili peppers Haha). Everything theyve done has been very unique and a progression from the previous album.

I think GR is a great CD, not my favorite, but still great. The only thing Id like to see is:

More "riff oriented" songs - GR seemed to lack this to me, the songs seemed to flow very beautifully into each other, but there's only 1 or 2 riffs that stick out in my mind. Most significantly, the intro of Grand Conjuration.

Think about Leper Affinity and Bleak, both of those songs have several passages where you can hum the riff and its stuck in your head. Very heavy and interesting. Funeral Portrait main riff, BWP several catchy riffs, etc. Some elements from Orchid and Morningrise I would love, but I dont think they'd go backward like that.

Not that any of this matters, just my humble thoughts, I know Opeth will continue to put out excellent albums, and be my favourite band. I trust that whatever direction they go in, Mike and co. will not disappoint.

if they did an entire album of the section starting around 6:00 in harlequin forest i would be tickled to death with glee

NineFeetUnderground said:
i know i started the thread. and asked for everyones suggestions, no matter what they were. but good god man, are you mental? that would reduce them to being a pretty straightforward death metal band. terrible ideas really.

I thought they were a death metal band.....it seems as though you want them to turn in the growls and become the Backstreet Boys :eek: