New possible spins on upcoming Opeth record...

I'd just like it to be more atmospheric...less pro-tooly...dont think thats gonna happen though.

Prognostic said:
im not sure if this idea is good, im just throwing it out there. if opeth makes another concept album or plays with themes, maybe they could use two or more types of production. i.e. an almost black metal sound for winter or lush, organic production for spring, etc. or record analog
i think thats a brilliant idea. :) seriously.

I also think that that a new Opeth album could do well with the sound of horses hoofs in it somewhere, I think there is an Agalloch song with this sound effect in it. And maybe they could make a concept based on a theme from history, such as the Blaxk Pl666ague :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

im really sad that lopez left because i liked the unique drumming style but i am a big fan of axenrot so whatever comes out will not disappoint. i want to hear more instrumentals also

First of all, thanks for this topic.

As interesting it is to read all these different wishes and hopes for their next album, I am not sure I can describe what I would like to listen to on their next record. I listend all their back catalogue yesterday to figure out what element was maybe still missing or what path they still didn´t walk. Well, I don´t have an answer.

Last time I saw them on stage was in Germany at Rock am Ring, they played Closure with this weird, heavy, jamming ending, which was incredible. That kind of stuff would be great. To have a more jammier (?) style, I don´t know how to explain. And a more faster type of sound would be great to hear. No blast parts of course, but some 5-6 minute piece with no (or minimal) mellow interruptions (a heavier kind of "Bleak" maybe).

In general, there are a lot of ideas, and I am confident that their next opus will be great as well. Strings, banjos, I don´t care. I know they will transform all of these into something which makes you say "WOW" in the end.

One last thing which I definately don´t want to hear are electronics in their sound. As much as I love them with certain bands, this would ruin all of this kind of atmosphere they build with their music.

metal_wrath said:
i think thats a brilliant idea. :) seriously.

I also think that that a new Opeth album could do well with the sound of horses hoofs in it somewhere, I think there is an Agalloch song with this sound effect in it. And maybe they could make a concept based on a theme from history, such as the Blaxk Pl666ague :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

yea, i really think Opeth should reduce themselves to something Agalloch does.

there's horsies galloping on bathory's blood fire death

wtf @ wanting horses on an opeth record, thats such a bizzare request.

yeah, the seashore on BRI is enough to make me realise opeth should never use sound effects in their music

I think they should really branch out... You've got to admit, they've been doing more or less the same thing (just refining it) since Still Life... excluding Deliverance which was a little different. I think GR is a step in a more simplistic cliche prog-metal direction and that's a shame. I hope they try some new ideas and strong structures and maybe get a little experimental.

unless you mean tasteful piano or short melodies, it deserved an oh my god. your comment gave me visions of per pulling a jordan rudess in the middle of a 10 minute opus.

daz436 said:
unless you mean tasteful piano or short melodies, it deserved an oh my god. your comment gave me visions of per pulling a jordan rudess in the middle of a 10 minute opus.

Piano solos would be great, but I'm not narrowing it down to just that. A keyboard has virtually endless possibilities.

NineFeetUnderground said:
theres not much creativity in the style of the early Opeth albums. the way it was done, it was just piecing riffs together loosely for 10-20 minutes. i think their more refined, meditated and creative approach could be much more fruitfull and enjoyable overall.

Your right but they could have continued to perfect the style. Morningrise was a big improvement on Orchid in terms of song structure and cohesion. So my hope is that they would attempt that style again (songs that progress on a straight line with no repetition), but I know it wont happen ofcourse. Wouldn't be the same anyway without DeFarfalla who had too much talent for mikael's liking apparently:zombie: