New Pro Tools Hardware

If PT9 will be presented on AES...we will have to wait the price.
I read that the price will be around 2000€....so it doesn't change very much the substance.
Personally, I would buy PT HD Native with PT included (that has low latency mode like the actual HD) instead of PT free used with another interface at that price.
Speculations of course...

I find it hard to belive that it will cost 2000euro for us that already own an LE interface. The software is well worth 2000euros alone. But if this is true im sure there will be an upgrade price for us with PT 8.

I find it hard to belive that it will cost 2000euro for us that already own an LE interface. The software is well worth 2000euros alone. But if this is true im sure there will be an upgrade price for us with PT 8.

That sounds about right to me. Avid/Digi has always been pretty fair when it comes to upgrade programs. And I think $2500 for the software is a pretty realistic guess, if you take a look at Avid's pricing schemes in general.

i wonder if getting a used 002 with LE and upgrading to PT9 with the upgrade discount would end up cheaper than that.

So whose going pthdn+lynx aurora?

Kinda hard to say, since:
1) PT HD Native isn't even out yet, so we have no idea how well it works in practice
2) Because all the rumors about PT 9 being open, it would be pretty damn hasty jump on HD Native already
3) We don't even know for certain that Lynx Aurora will be compatible with HD Native, even though it does seem very likely

In my opinion Native will be more powerfull of what we are thinking now. I mean, if PT9 will be open, why should I invest in a native interface at that price, if it doesn't give me something that worths it?
With an open daw you can use any interface...so the avid native solution should has great features to compete...for example a zero latency for traking where you can use plugins, compressor, etc...with no latency at all (like the HD systems).

Who says they're not gonna cripple it for non avid interfaces. Sure it might work but I'm sure there will be a distinct lack of support and still picky compatability. I thought I read on gs that the aurora would appear as 2x192s for 16analogue and 16 digital ins. If you got two, your max 64io would be complete.

Not commenting on the accuracy of any of this, but this Gearslutz post pretty much sums up all the rumors I've heard and read so far:

Source Audio at Gearslutz said:
It has been killing me not to open my mouth but there are a mix of people on this post with valid and invalid info. So I had to create a new log in on here to say something without compromising my identity. Some of your post are right. I talked with Avid directly less then a month ago. I new before HD native, new HD Hardware, and New M Boxes were released. Pro Tools 9 is being announced at AES this year. It has been in works for a couple of years now(heard from another one of my sources a couple of years ago, but did not pay it much mind.) Sometime shortly after Avid purchased M-Audio. It will not be out until 2011 as I was told. No avid interface required, ADC will be there, and track count equivalent(not unlimited tracks) to HD numbers via a purchased toolkit. So there it is. No price was discussed. But PT9 will still be included with your PT Hardware as normal. If you don't believe me I don't give a !t. Just be on the look out for it at AES this year. BTW Pro Tools HD Native was released for those who wanted to use Avid converters but did not need TDM Technology. 8.4 is only a release for hardware compatibility. Have fun arguing about whats true or false and about how predictable Avid/Digi is. Anyone can do the unexpected especially when everyone expects them to do the norm.

And in my opinion most of the HD business is in Post production and big facilities who need the extra processing i/o numbers, routing capabilities and more that a full blown HD system brings. So them releasing it will not compromise the HD Business.

BTW Pro Tools HD Native was released for those who wanted to use Avid converters but did not need TDM Technology.

I'm sure that's a long list of people :lol: (not saying Avid converters are bad, but I can't really imagine anyone specifically wanting to use them regardless of the software)

I'm sure that's a long list of people :lol: (not saying Avid converters are bad, but I can't really imagine anyone specifically wanting to use them regardless of the software)

There are a fuck ton of those old timers who stick to whatever they are used to and know inside out, and refuse to try anything new or different. In addition, there is the school of AE's who absolutely swear by a 100% Avid/Digi setup, justifying it with customer support, system stability and whatnot. I mean, it has been possible to use Lynx and Apogee converters with PT HD cards for quite a while, yet most of the people who put together an HD setup still seem to go with the "tried and true" 96 and 192, disregard the price and/or specs.

If the speculations and rumors about the new product lines turn out to be true, I think there would be three products for three groups of customers:

1) HD. The top-of-the-line, DSP powered system for big rooms, post production suites and such.
2) HD Native. The new middle ground for people who want to use Avid products, know them well and are happy with them, but don't really need or even want to work in HD's DSP-based environment.
3) PT9 (Open?). The expandable, hardware independent solution for the people who want to use third party hardware and only the Avid software. This seems to be a huge group at the moment.

As a bonus, if Avid would actually do this, Apogee's and Lynx's HD cards (which have to be purchased separately) would become pretty much obsolete for new systems for anyone else but the people who need the DSP features. In this light, I really think Avid would actually expand their user base, as I can see some sort of demand for all these products.

Maybe I'm being a bit too optimistic, though :lol:

When is AES? If they truly make an "open" system with ADC would that allow me to use hardware as plugins with a 3rd party converter a la Apogee or SSL or are they considered to be two separate things? Sorry, I'm about 90% Logic 10% Pro Tools so if I sound like a moron that's why.

I've been pricing HD1 and HD2 set ups for a while and am looking at a minimum startup of 6 grand. A real Native solution would be exactly what I'm looking for provided I can track with plugins on.

When is AES? If they truly make an "open" system with ADC would that allow me to use hardware as plugins with a 3rd party converter a la Apogee or SSL or are they considered to be two separate things? Sorry, I'm about 90% Logic 10% Pro Tools so if I sound like a moron that's why.

I've been pricing HD1 and HD2 set ups for a while and am looking at a minimum startup of 6 grand. A real Native solution would be exactly what I'm looking for provided I can track with plugins on.

AES is 4-7th of November. Just two weeks to go :) Right now nobody knows for sure what it's going be like, or if they're going to release PT9 at all. It's all just speculation and rumors from people who say they have heard it from Avid employees :)

I want Hd Native regardless.
But if they do a system you can use your own interface with, I'll be buying a deltalink so fast it'll make your head shpin