new REDEMPTION album...from a non-fan

...the emotions pour from this release and connected with me on a personal level.

That's very interesting. I actually told Nick himself a few years ago that it was very interesting how in Fulness, Origins and Snowfall, there was one song in each that was deeply connected (emotionally) to my life at that particular time. I will not say which songs and why, but we had a very interesting chat about it. It's incredible how much the emotion in those songs matched what was going on with me at the time. Life imitating art, or art imitating life? :p

That is one of the things that steered me toward RUSH. The personal connection. I think that it is interesting how Nick, in a recent interview, talks about how RUSH influenced his song writing. And though he in no way compares himself to Mr. Peart lryrically, from this listener, that personal connection runs deeper.

Long time fan here and I have the new one on the way, but here is how I would rank their catalogue:

1. The Origins of Ruin (2007) - this is by far my number one...the emotions pour from this release and connected with me on a personal level.
2. The Fullness of Time (2005)
3. Snowfall on Judgement Day (2009)
4. Redemption (2003) - as mentioned above, with Rick Mythiasin behind the mic although Ray has a cameo appearance

This although I put Origins and Fullness on equal footing. Both of those albums are about as good as an album can be.

It should be noted that the first album has a different vocalist but its still entertaining.

As for the new disc I'm waiting for it to be available on rhapsody so I can listen to it properly in the car (40 min drive to campus)

It is available on Rhapsody, but under the Redemption (Gospel) label. I found it there on Tuesday and after 2 spins knew that i had to get me a physical copy. Just save the time and get the CD. It's fantastic!

It is available on Rhapsody, but under the Redemption (Gospel) label. I found it there on Tuesday and after 2 spins knew that i had to get me a physical copy. Just save the time and get the CD. It's fantastic!

Yeah I found it last night along with Road Salt II. Not to de rail to much but I only like to buy cds at ProgPower for some reason now especially since its once a year so I'll be picking it up next year

I just saw Redemption play here in L.A. on Saturday and the new songs came off great live. They played music from past c.d's too. The crowd was very much into the new material. All players were great. They played a club called Paladino's.

CD of the year in a landslide(and TesseracT -One,was so good I had doubts anyone would top this)
Nick has released the CD I have been waiting to hear in the Prog Metal genre..
a combination of almost thash like metal with highly atmospheric keys,enough musicianship to keep me interested without getting out of hand...top notch song writing(something Dream Theater still has not figured out on a consistant basis)highly melodic vocals and great hook filled chorus' you can sing along to and stick in your head..headquarters

And lyricly he connects like no other in this scene..
While everyone else is singing about bullshit like Wizzards fighting Warlords and Hobbits ass raping gnomes...Nick writes lyrics we can(well modt of us who are human and have feelings)can relate to....this CD obviously almost a concept pie@e in a way dealing with his situation,relationships and heartbreak,and other issues

And Kernon has done his best job IMO since Rage for Order

OK, speaking as a non-fan as well... and it takes something "else" to really get me into prog.

When I heard their first album it wasn't my cup of tea.. so I ditched them at PP. I only really enjoy 2 Dream Theater albums. Images and Chaos. I have all the Threshold albums and I think DGM have "it" blending power & prog perfectly to my tastes... the albums keep getting better as they release.

Does ANY of their (REDEMPTION) previous albums sound like this? This is the kind of prog metal I like. Not "look at us we can solo all at the same time for 9 minutes", I like actual songs and the heaviness... see DGM.:kickass:

**edit add

Is it me or does the riff in Stronger Than Death sound like Kashmir?

my favorite i think is still Origins of Ruin...best production and songs IMO. The new one's mix is just bad. Hard to get past. I'm trying, but hard to listen to on headphones.

umm, have you even heard Noonday devil? You can barely even hear Ray at the start. If you listen to this album and then Snowfall, there is a huge difference in production. The songs are good, its just mastered real loud. Its not just me, a lot of people are saying the same thing...Check out the redemption forum.

At the PM forum in the Redemption thread:

From Nick on a similar post:

Posted: Sun Oct 16, 2011 4:26 pm Post subject:
Murat, I would like to correct some of your misperceptions. It's important to do so in part because you are a prominent online poster and frankly, I believe your misperceptions are leading others to share them and dog this CD for the wrong reasons.

batmura wrote:
This disc is VERY loud and the mix is not to my liking.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion of the mix. It is, objectively, not the loudest mix in the world and not as loud as, for example, the previous disc. At least not according to the software that I have used with it.

Quote:
There are a lot of folks on the official Redemption forum feeling the same way.

There are a a few, yes -- there are also those that don't have a problem with it. You're acting as though everybody is hearing the same thing and there is one right opinion to have of the production. That is not the case, obviously.

Quote:
Ray does get buried in the heavier parts, which is unacceptable.

I guess it depends on what you mean by buried. It is a guitar heavy mix, by design. I'll take the blame for that, though Neil and I both though a guitar heavy mix would be appropriate. You may be interested in knowing that the label thought Ray was TOO LOUD in places. Other than the second track, which you've documented as not to your liking, where do you not hear what Ray is doing? I'm interested because I truly do not hear him being buried.

Quote:
I love Redemption, all of their albums. I just don't like their new one and I belive I am entitled to attribute it to the production job.

You absolutely are.

Quote:
PS. I believe Neil Kernon was not in the studio trying to get the best performances out of the band.

This has nothing to do with performances. You don't like the note that Ray strains to hit at 5:00 in Blink. That's fine. It is NOT a crack. It is straining. It's a high note -- the highest note he's ever sung in a Redemption song. It was a strain for him. Straining is consistent for the emotion of the song. We left it in with that in mind. His voice cracks, not because of range but just because of natural delivery that worked out that way, during the slow breakdown in Dreams from the Pit ("...all respond in *kind*") and we likewise left that in.

Neil was far more involved in this production than any producer we've ever worked with. His time and my budget both reflect that reality.

Quote:
The band recorded the stuff themselves and asked him to do handle the mix.

Neil re-recorded the guitars (rhythm and lead) and drums and had unprocessed tracks for vocals and bass. This is as much or more than any of our previous producers have had to work with.

As I've said, you're entitled to your opinion and I appreciate that you take the time to review the disc. However, when your opinion is misinformed (as above) or presented as the objective truth of the disc, I hope you don't mind that I take the unusual step of correcting misperceptions.

Saying "I don't like the mix" is something I can understand. Saying "this disc is objectively unlistenable" just doesn't make sense. Too many other people (including the label, presumably Neil and Alan, etc.) like it for that to be the case.

From Ken Golden (whose system cost more than my yearly salary):

Murat:

You are simply wrong. I don't know what you listened to - mp3 or a retail version of the CD. The Redemption disc is not too loud. I compared it to the new Knight Area and Haken discs. All three were mastered by Alan Douches. In the case of Knight Area, the album was mixed by Neil Kernon immediately following completion of his work on Redemption. Playback levels for all three albums are virtually identical.

Of course all three albums sound nothing alike. The real issue is you simply don't like the approach that was taken by Nick and Neil. That is something entirely different and you are certainly entitled to your opinion. Everyone has different taste. I suspect that the finished results closely jibe with the sound that Nick was trying to achieve.

Personally I have no problem with the Redemption disc. I think it sounds fine and far better than the sonics of The Fullness Of Time that we were fortunate to release some years ago.

The production of this album is a non-issue. For some reason you are turning attention away from the music and propagating an issue that doesn't really exist . Try to focus on the music and enjoy a great album.

Thanks for posting Nick's reply, Glenn. This release does have a different sound than the last 2 Redemption discs, but given the theme, I think it is very appropriate. To my admittedly less than audiophile ears, Mortal Coil sounds great.

To my admittedly less than audiophile ears, Mortal Coil sounds great.

I totally agree with Bamafan! I was instantly hooked on my first listen to this disc and love the way it sounds. To me it really helps convey the emotions of the material and I can't wait to hear it live next year at ProgPower!!! :kickass:

I will be loudly enjoying this CD at home tonight when I tap a Shiner keg with my new Kegerator! My Texas Rangers are driving me to drink! :kickass:

-Bill

After getting my disc and shirt combo a week or two ago I've finally ripped the plastic off to listen to it. First listen was in the car a couple of days ago on a crappy stereo and I instantly thought man this was really different and didn't sound like the last several discs. Had some concerns at that moment.

Ripped the CD to my Ipod last night and in quiet peacefulness I sat down to listen to the CD front to back. Man, what a difference. Quietly relaxing and absorbing the intense emotions that are so well communicated in the lyrics and music was incredible. Very few albums have ever made me put myself in someone's shoes and become them but this one does.

Yes, the music style sounds a little different to me from the others and, yes, the mix is a little different than the others to me also but I appreciate when an artist makes these adaptations and successfully reaches another plateau. This CD grabbed me as few have.

This album approaches perfection.....

..Check out the redemption forum.
I did...its one idiot who hates everything about the CD and the same 3 other twits all butthurt because their prog got infused with some testoterone for a change

This CD is pure perfection
Like I said I've had this on my not so great stereo systeom in my big rig since Sat..
Everything sounds clear and huge at the same time

The song Blink of an Eye is sonic perfection...
Besides possibly being the best heavy metal song(regardless of sub genre)written in the past 10 years...the production is beyond stellar...not only can I hear the huge drop tuned chugging monsterous guitars...the bass pops through clear...I can hear the little nuances of the multylayered keys perfecly..to the ambient wash sound through the verses...the layers during Nicks solos,including how the choir fades in and out...and Rays absolute amazing multypart harmonies during the chorus...and everything sound clear....
And again I repeat,this is on a meh stereo system.....I would love to take this into a Best Buy and crank this on a high end system...or if I see a Bose store in a mall.....

And what I find amusing in that thread you speak of is that some fool suggested Andy Sneap
re mix this......You notice that ever since Sneap started producing Nevermore their CDs all sounded
like a loud mess....all the guitars sound too noisy and drown everything else out.
He would have turned Coil into a total mess