new releases!

Diabolik

Sep 30, 2005
Chicago,IL
www.facebook.com
It has been a pretty lucky day for me. Picked up a few really good disc.

Ride The Sky - New Protection --holy shit, this was an impulse buy since it had some decent band members. this disc is great. Listened to it like 5 times already. Basically it is the good half of Masterplan. I was never a fan. It has Uli Kusch from Helloween andthe guy from Beyond Twilight in it. basically it is very catchy power metal, not the high pitch Kiske wanna be. More rough but clean vocals in the field of Oliver Hartman and Mats Levins. Keyboard heavy and great catchy songs. Lots are stuck in my head already. It would be great if they were added to the Gamma Ray/ Helloween tour.

At Vance - VII -- This is not Mats Levins year for bands. Dumped from Therion and left At Vance. I was scared to hear the new singer. Really good. They went for a guy who sounded like Oliver Hartman, thier original singer. While it is big shoes to fill, the new guy does a great job. The disc is alot better than the last two disc. Still has the hard rock edge with heavy power metal influences. Worth checking out. This is a band that gets no love.

Defiance - Insomnia 3 CD set --- HOLY SHIT!!! I was so excited to see that the "Product of Society" disc repressed finally. This was one of the great bay area thrash acts in the 80's. Between Vio-lence and Forbidden, they were my fave three from that scene. The box set is so worth it for just the first disc. I thought the second Void Terra Firma disc is decent thrash. But when that came out I was getting out of metal. I havent heard the third disc yet. i will check it out tonight. Each disc comes with tons of bonus tracks. About 50 songs all together. I got it on sale too at Metal Haven for like 35 bucks too. Limited edition of 2000. Listening to the "Product of Society" disc again bought back so many memories and the fact that current bands cant do thrash.

I need to check out Ride the Sky.
Kind of cheesy though that ex-nonoriginal-Helloween members are taking their namesake from an old Helloween song title.

Any band containing Uli of Masterplan and a singer that sounds like Jorn gets a thumbs up from me. Masterplan's first 2 releases were amazing... I hope this CD is as well.

The title track is definitely a keeper:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=UDoSWm2fQsE

Regarding the name.. They obviously used it so that metal fans flipping through a bin of CDs will know that it is a Power/Speed metal release. At least they didn't use the word "Eternity" in their name.

Uli's other project.. Beautiful Sin has some good tunes on it as well. They have a pretty tough sounding female vocalist. However, she is not nearly as tough as Veronica from Benedition.

Thanks for the suggestion Bob.