New Social Thread

Indeed. We live in a civilization now locked into teleological progress rather than a narrative reflection on the present and eternal, and that requires increasing levels of energy to fuel the linear progression of technology forward toward its confused goal of human betterment. On the on hand it increasingly benefits more the few who can afford it yet at the same time dilutes itself to serve the needs of an ever expanding majority. An identity crisis that is losing its ability to reflect, I'd say.

Thesis fail!

Money & oil is imperative to my survival. How can you possibly compare them? Diamonds are worthless. The people selling them are fucking pigs. They're heavily invested in selling a world where men are insensitive, thick-headed incompetents transparently trying to dupe women who are vain, superficial, materialistic fools. No joke there. Although I typically tend to be on the "eh, it's just a joke" side of things, but the sheer repetitive insistence of the cynical stereotypes in diamond advertising is astonishing.

I think you missed my point. Oil has no intrinsic value despite the fact that it's necessary for our society to function. The abstract notion of "value" is an egomorphic concept; we interact with objects based on the fact that they're "for us," so to speak. To paraphrase Marx, no scientist has ever conducted an investigation into the nature of oil and discovered "value" miraculously residing within it.

You can compare them because they're all commodities. Money, oil, and diamonds all function symbolically within a system of exchange. And what point are you making about the "joke"? Zeph was quoting Ron White's comedic sketch where he says: "Diamonds, that'll shut her up." I know there's no joke in the actual advertising campaign. I'm insisting that White's joke, rather than subversively attacking the diamond tradition, actually functions to support it.

Thank you. I was too lazy to actually respond to the people refuting my point and Grant decided not the post the full conversation that we had about it, but you came pretty close to what I was trying to say for me.

How the hell does oil "function symbolically within a system of exchange"? It's burned as fuel. It has an actual use, unlike money and (in most cases) diamonds.

It's been commodified. Oil possesses use value in our society, but that value is not inherent within it. The only way we can possibly understand oil (or any commodity) is within a system of exchange.

It's burned as fuel, yes; but is that reflected in the constantly fluctuating price of oil and gas? Something else influences those constant changes, and that has to do with its exchange value.

I think you missed my point. Oil has no intrinsic value despite the fact that it's necessary for our society to function. The abstract notion of "value" is an egomorphic concept; we interact with objects based on the fact that they're "for us," so to speak. To paraphrase Marx, no scientist has ever conducted an investigation into the nature of oil and discovered "value" miraculously residing within it.

You can compare them because they're all commodities. Money, oil, and diamonds all function symbolically within a system of exchange. And what point are you making about the "joke"? Zeph was quoting Ron White's comedic sketch where he says: "Diamonds, that'll shut her up." I know there's no joke in the actual advertising campaign. I'm insisting that White's joke, rather than subversively attacking the diamond tradition, actually functions to support it.

Did you mean egomaniac or geomorphic?

Yea, well, of course oil doesn't have value without human beings, Intrinsically nothing does, that's self evident, but that's short sighted in the sense that we are part of the world and in our condition oil has value almost instantaneously ( assuming we are smart enough to discover & use it/which we are) and is essential to our society and development as human beings. What Marx fails to understand is that we are conscious human beings with the ability to form concepts and therefore we have an identity. Materialism is a fallacy. Oil > Diamonds, there is nothing miraculous about it because we can reason.

...and White's joke is pure sarcasm. If a comedian makes a joke about rape or child abuse in the same context would he be supporting it? lol no, I think the law of supply and demand supports diamonds and irrational psychological weakness or plain stupidity the latter.

Did you mean egomaniac or geomorphic?

I meant egomorphic. It's a psychoanalytic term. It refers to the relationship humans have with objects. Being entities with egos, we interact with objects on the basis that we perceive them as "for" us.

Yea, well, of course oil doesn't have value without human beings, Intrinsically nothing does, that's self evident, but that's short sighted in the sense that we are part of the world and in our condition oil has value almost instantaneously ( assuming we are smart enough to discover & use it/which we are) and is essential to our society and development as human beings. What Marx fails to understand is that we are conscious human beings with the ability to form concepts and therefore we have an identity. Materialism is a fallacy. Oil > Diamonds, there is nothing miraculous about it because we can reason.

What the hell are you talking about? How does Marx fail to realize that? He is a conscious human being forming concepts. I don't understand at all what you mean. All I'm saying and all that Marx said is that the economic system of capitalism treats objects as though they possess inherent value. It has nothing to do with humans being somehow stupid or ignorant. People know that objects have no inherent value. If you're stranded on a desert island with a diamond, no shit it's worthless. And obviously oil can be burned; but people know this. All I'm saying is that it's a characteristic of the capitalist system to treat things otherwise.

...and White's joke is pure sarcasm. If a comedian makes a joke about rape or child abuse in the same context would he be supporting it? lol no, I think the law of supply and demand supports diamonds and irrational psychological weakness or plain stupidity the latter.

That's a horrible fucking example. Obviously people don't make jokes about raping children because everyone would be appalled; there's no ideological framework on which such a joke can rely. We all agree that raping children is wrong, but people don't go around doing it like they go around buying diamonds. You completely missed the point.

Materialism is a fallacy.

What the fuck does this mean? Materialism is a fallacy? How does that even make sense? How is "materialism" some kind of misconception? Materialism, luxury, beauty, art; these are things that make life valuable. Money and oil are things that help us gain these things that make life valuable. Diamonds and beauty and art are at least as valuable to the essential human condition as utilitarian things like oil. There has to be a reason for the desire to survive beyond simply not wanting to die. Luxury items, including art, are kind of the reason that most people really give a shit about living, no? How many people live in the woods and hunt their own food with no stable shelter, and never even pick up a book? It seems like you want to trace value squarely to the things that help us not die, rather than the things that help us not want to die, to put it in retard terms.

It's been commodified. Oil possesses use value in our society, but that value is not inherent within it. The only way we can possibly understand oil (or any commodity) is within a system of exchange.

It's burned as fuel, yes; but is that reflected in the constantly fluctuating price of oil and gas? Something else influences those constant changes, and that has to do with its exchange value.

The use value of oil is certainly reflected in its prices, because if we didn't need to consume it we wouldn't be paying so much for it. I don't see how oil has any significant exchange value in the same way money does, so you'll have to explain to me where this value comes from and how that value overshadows the use value (as you seem to be arguing).

zabu of nΩd;9817606 said:
The use value of oil is certainly reflected in its prices, because if we didn't need to consume it we wouldn't be paying so much for it. I don't see how oil has any significant exchange value in the same way money does, so you'll have to explain to me where this value comes from and how that value overshadows the use value (as you seem to be arguing).

Is your user title a Ravel reference? /breaking into your discussion, don't mind me

Is your user title a Ravel reference? /breaking into your discussion, don't mind me

No, it is a random bullshit from my brain reference. Or a reference to the nursery rhyme / fairy tale / whatever the fuck it is, more precisely.

What the fuck does this mean? Materialism is a fallacy? How does that even make sense? How is "materialism" some kind of misconception? Materialism, luxury, beauty, art; these are things that make life valuable. Money and oil are things that help us gain these things that make life valuable. Diamonds and beauty and art are at least as valuable to the essential human condition as utilitarian things like oil. There has to be a reason for the desire to survive beyond simply not wanting to die. Luxury items, including art, are kind of the reason that most people really give a shit about living, no? How many people live in the woods and hunt their own food with no stable shelter, and never even pick up a book? It seems like you want to trace value squarely to the things that help us not die, rather than the things that help us not want to die, to put it in retard terms.

Philosophy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Materialism

Attribution of ones own needs, desires, motives etc., to someone else; the tendency to build a system of thought and interpret the reactions in others as terms of ones own ego needs - projection. It has been suggested that interpretations a psychiatrist makes to a patient are based on the egomorphism of the physician. This is one aspect that has lead psychoanalytic training institutes to require their students to undergo psychoanalysis. Motherfucker.

-Campbell's psychiatric dictionary
By Robert Jean Campbell

Einherjar - "the relationship humans have with objects. Being entities with egos, we interact with objects on the basis that we perceive them as "for" us."