New Social Thread

From what I've heard it's just going to be the Buffalo gig 21/5 and the Philly gig 29/5. Doubt he'll have time for much more after that. I've ordered merchandise though, even if I'm getting tired of all these comeback tours.

I'm already not enjoying the Limp Bizkit faggot. He should go fuck himself. Hey dude, this is a metal forum, go promote crap bands somewhere else.

So I got into an argument with a girl at work about Diamonds. I told her I thought that diamonds are intrinsically worthless stones whose popularity and value are a recent creation, the result of a concerted marketing efffort by a monopolist cartel whose control on its market makes Microsoft look like amateurs..... BLAH!
She replies with the same shit I always hear from dumb selfish cunts "you're just cheap" or "you don't know what you're talking about" or "Canadian diamonds" lol

Would or have you guys ever buy/bought diamonds? I have and I regret it after doing some basic research.

Actually, the whole "diamonds are forever" trope plays into that. Simone de Beauvoir theorized that women wearing jewelry represents the imprisonment of women within social constructions, while the men are able to move forward and redefine values post-Nietzsche-style.

So I got into an argument with a girl at work about Diamonds. I told her I thought that diamonds are intrinsically worthless stones whose popularity and value are a recent creation, the result of a concerted marketing efffort by a monopolist cartel whose control on its market makes Microsoft look like amateurs..... BLAH!
She replies with the same shit I always hear from dumb selfish cunts "you're just cheap" or "you don't know what you're talking about" or "Canadian diamonds" lol

Would or have you guys ever buy/bought diamonds? I have and I regret it after doing some basic research.

I've bought diamonds. I don't regret it, because my girlfriend of over three years likes the jewelry I buy for her. She knows diamonds are intrinsically worthless, as is gold, as is oil, as is money, etc. It's by a fetishism that we perceive value to be inherent within useless objects like gold (although diamond does have some utilitarian worth in that it's actually the hardest solid).

That said, "diamond" has risen to occupy a specific symbolic role from which it cannot be evacuated even if everyone agrees that it possesses no natural value (there's no such thing). It was actually poignant of Zeph to mention that joke, "Diamonds: that'll shut her up", because jokes like that actually do nothing but further the ideological belief that diamonds possess value. In joking about the worthlessness of the object, and mocking our choice in buying it by saying we only do it to keep our women quiet, we rely on others' understanding that diamonds are, and have been, widely believed to possess value (and that women are simple-minded creatures who can be pleased by shiny things). The joke actually solidifies the illusion by illuminating its parameters. It relies on the ideology in order to work.

This is the whole point of Žižek's theorem "they know what they do, and yet they do it anyway"; in trying to be subversive, we actually only contribute to the beliefs as we simultaneously mock them.

Interesting you should say that Einherjar. I have been arguing with some people about money, and how it works, and how there is nothing special about gold and silver as money vs paper.

Edit: No I have never bought diamonds, and never intend to.

Diamonds are a girls best friend if she has no problem hanging out with people who, at best, exploit cheap third world labor and, at worst, regard human lives a commodity they can take advantage of at their leisure.

Most I've done is bought my girl a silver talisman. I have no objection to the concept of diamonds but they're not particularly attractive so probably not. Wouldn't do it just to keep a bitch happy.

I've bought diamonds. I don't regret it, because my girlfriend of over three years likes the jewelry I buy for her. She knows diamonds are intrinsically worthless, as is gold, as is oil, as is money, etc. It's by a fetishism that we perceive value to be inherent within useless objects like gold (although diamond does have some utilitarian worth in that it's actually the hardest solid).

Money & oil is imperative to my survival. How can you possibly compare them? Diamonds are worthless. The people selling them are fucking pigs. They're heavily invested in selling a world where men are insensitive, thick-headed incompetents transparently trying to dupe women who are vain, superficial, materialistic fools. No joke there. Although I typically tend to be on the "eh, it's just a joke" side of things, but the sheer repetitive insistence of the cynical stereotypes in diamond advertising is astonishing.