New Social Thread

I hate LA more than any other big city I've ever had the displeasure to visit. The place exudes an aura of dispair and disrepair. In many places it's only a few years removed from looking like something out of "Life After People".

You'd probably commit suicide upon setting foot in Baltimore, then, if that's how you reacted to LA.

You'd probably commit suicide upon setting foot in Baltimore, then, if that's how you reacted to LA.

I have been pretty much everywhere in the country except the North East, and I have no desire to do so unless I could skip over everything and go to Maine.

I prefer to judge places to visit by how much history / culture / stuff to do there is than by how well maintained the cities are tbh

zabu of nΩd;10136173 said:
I prefer to judge places to visit by how much history / culture / stuff to do there is than by how well maintained the cities are tbh

I've been to the "cool places" in LA. Major disappointment. Even Hollywood is a shithole.

I'm not sure how much of LA grant remembers :erk: :lol:

I remember it pretty well. I enjoyed exploring the area, meeting you and the other UMers, and getting good food/beers. Really wish i'd gotten a chance to see the Getty Center as well as go downtown during the day and check out the architecture. Hollywood was pretty lame, though it was awesome seeing the whole city at night from the observatory.

The best part of travelling really is just meeting people and seeing where they like to hang out. In that respect i got a lot more out of my trip to Chicago because i got to stay at Pat's place, meet his roomies and schoolmates, and do cool shit like see a free symphony concert at Millennium Park. I really had a blast there.

I've been to the "cool places" in LA. Major disappointment. Even Hollywood is a shithole.

What about Venice Beach? It reminded me of a bad acid party where everyone who is sane has left and only the truly dodgy people remain, smoking crack and giving you paranoid sideways looks.

LA has it's highlights imo, though yeah, the glitz of Hollywood is definitely something of the past. The Getty is awesome, as are the MOCA's, LACMA, and other little random museums like the museum of Jurassic Technology. Downtown old Pasadena is great, the Huntington Library/Gardens are awesome, Venice beach is a totally oddball place that's fun to visit, as is Santa Monica, just a much more toned down. Downtown Culver City is full of awesome eateries, Olvera street and some areas are downtown have some nice history and culture to them, Hollywood does have Amoeba (greatest record shop ever), then nearby is Griffith Park and the Griffith Observatory, etc

tl;dr - Yeah, a lot of LA sucks, but there's still a shitload of stuff to do, it just takes forever to get there...

Pretty much what Chase said. My girlfriend and I were talking about this the other day. If you're bored in LA, you're doing something wrong. There's so much to do here. That's what I love about living here. What I hate about living here is how spread out it is, and how you have to drive everywhere. This of course leads to traffic, and then it just snowballs from there

What about Venice Beach? It reminded me of a bad acid party where everyone who is sane has left and only the truly dodgy people remain, smoking crack and giving you paranoid sideways looks.

:lol: probably the best description of Venice Beach I've ever seen

LA would be one of my favorite cities ever if they just decided to do two things every city should do:

1. Make the streets (as in roads where the cars go) smaller
2. Put in a big, punctual, reliable train system or something similar

Streets in Hong Kong are half the width or less of streets in LA. Hell, the only real highways in HK are about the same width as some of the roads I was driven through in Santa Monica. This means a lot less people drive, and good amount of vehicles on the roads are taxis and buses. Taxis are used to get out of the more remote parts of the city that don't have MTR (the name of their train system) stations, and MTR is used to travel more quickly throughout the rest of the city.

Seriously, fuck everyone having a car in a city and making cities accomodate that. I could go from where I lived in HK (pretty much the most east side there) to the center of the city (which is on a different island than where I lived) in less time than it took to get out of LA when I was already on the highway and only a couple miles from the outside.

I've never been in a city with public transportation as good as Hong Kong. People thought I was crazy when I told them I walked about four miles to a McDonald's because I didn't want to pay for a bus. People walk a lot, but the public transportation is so cheap, quick, and effective that people rarely walk really big distances without getting on a bus, getting in a taxi, or going on the MTR in between.

Stacking people on top of each other miles from food and adequate fresh water sources is one of the greatest examples of human stupidity in history.

No, wasting large pieces of land to grow non-native grass species and use a shitload of polluting resources to transport people through those large pieces of land is. Cities are a lot more environmentally friendly than suburbs.

When you stack people, you use less land. Then you have more room to grow food.

No, wasting large pieces of land to grow non-native grass species and use a shitload of polluting resources to transport people through those large pieces of land is. Cities are a lot more environmentally friendly than suburbs.

When you stack people, you use less land. Then you have more room to grow food.

You have a massive false dichotomy there, not to mention the "more land for food" inaccuracy. Any miniscule land gains are iradicated by the waste in industrial food production.

And somehow food production is different when it's producing for a city rather than a suburb?

I too have arrogant, pretentious, and myopic opinions about things that I see as black and white.