New song with Revalver II and Slate Drums

I believe he said he used the first Nikko preset minus the triode driver. Its a stock preset.

That is correct. Its just the first Nikko preset minus the triode driver. There's enough gain without it if you get the input levels right, which is a huge trick to getting a good sound. The only thing I chaged was the amp gain. Two tracks of guitar with the gain at 3.8 and two more tracks with the gain at 7. No tubescreamer or anything but I did drive the hell out of the input with an A.R.T. MPA Pro tube pre. LOADS of digital clipping on the input, just turned it up until the gain sounded right. The impulse was Guitarhacks "in between" file.

From there, the signal goes into Curve EQ which shapes the tone drastically. Two out the four tracks are compressed to hell with Voxengo's Marquis compressor.

I'll upload presets tomorrow but I forget to do shit like this all the time so just send me a reminder if I forget. I'm at school on break right now.

Splatt, that new version kicks so much ass!!!

Holy shit. Who needs a real amp. How about I give you my Krank in return for you giving me lessons in Ampsim software and teaching me how to use my own Impulses? :heh: I might have to look into Revalver, although I have spent too much money lately.:erk:

Nice work, dude. :headbang:

Thanks dude! I was going to make some Vintage30 impulses myself, but I don't think I need to anymore. The ones you made are perfect.

I posted the link for the Curve EQ and Marquis compressor files above. There's a screenshot of the Revalver settings too. On the comp, I set the threshold so there was no more than 3-4 dbs of reduction on palm mutes. Compressor was on 2 of the 4 guitar parts.

Hey man, just a few question...
The Sample.wav is the guitar sound eq'd and compressed or just the sound coming out from Revalver?

Amazing tone... damn real!

What audio interface did you use? Any preamp/stomp or just Hi-z input? Guitar PU?

Thanks!

Hey man, just a few question...
The Sample.wav is the guitar sound eq'd and compressed or just the sound coming out from Revalver?

Amazing tone... damn real!

What audio interface did you use? Any preamp/stomp or just Hi-z input? Guitar PU?

Thanks!

That sample is four separate tracks, all EQed and two tracks are compressed (one left, one right, 100%). The uncompressed tracks are the same volume, uncompressed, panned 100% left and right.

Guitar chain:
ESP with Dimarzio Super Distortion >>> DOD Direct Box >>> Art Pro MPA tube preamp >>> Delta 1010 audio card >>> Revalver mkII >>> Curve EQ >>> Marquis compressor.

Great work as always Splat. I love that particlular impulse as well. Hack did the business with that puppy....

Really like those Toms too...

This reminded me to check out "Clouds at Four" again. I love that track. That clean tone is awesome.

great job man the production sounds pro--i didnt get a chance to see the
screenshot, the curve EQ file and the marquis compressor file you mind uploading it again? keep up the good work!

Thanks for all that Splatt.

I can't access your esnips thing (it keeps wanting me to sign in, even though im already signed in) although I got the file before on yousendit. I noticed that the screenshot of Revalver looked very much like the stock Nikko - Recto Rock preset, even without the gain at 7 like you were saying. Is that right?

Regardless, thanks a lot man. I think I've found a new fave amp sim, and some clients I showed earlier agreed with the enthusiasm.

This sounds great. I do have a little complaint though, which has a bit more to do with the playing than the mix - after the chuggy intro, the guitars do a lo-fi harmony thing, and when the rhythm comes back full force, it doesn't seem very strong to me, and I think it might be because they come in a little late (just by a few ms). You could also help this by coming adding a hit on the crash instead of the ride.

Anyway, just my 2,000 cents. Sounds fantastic otherwise though.

I love these mixes Splat. I hope you can give me permission to host them on the slate drums site so people can hear the kick ass stuff people are doing with the hits. I really dig that little burst of ambience you hear on the snare from the Z2 sample. Great depth.

Also, I really dig that Revalver plugin. Sounds nice! Does it come with the cab impulses or are you using external cab impulses with another plugin?

Also, I really dig that Revalver plugin. Sounds nice! Does it come with the cab impulses or are you using external cab impulses with another plugin?

Revalver II comes with the ability to load cabinet impulses into itself, so no external plug-in need be used.

Splat88 is using a particular impulse response created by GuitarHack (posts on here) of a Mesa Traditional Cab with an SM57 placed in between the dustcap and edge of the speaker cone (top right I think).

Revalver II does come with its own set of impulses though.

Hate to dig up an old thread, but Splatt, would you mind sharing what verb plug-in you used on that track? The snare ambience is really suited to the song.

There's a hint of Cubase's Roomworks verb on the snare but its so minimal that I'm not sure it matters much. The Slate sample (snare 7#2) itself has quite a bit of ambiance to it which is great. Its a mix of a close mix and room mics. On the intro, I ran the whole kit through Cubase's stock reverb32 for more ambiance but then deactivated it when the second guitar comes in.

And Guitarhack.... no problem at all. That wasn't a hijack; I think its great that you're helping out. Even if it were a hijack, I wouldn't care.

What can i tell ya Splatt.. you sir, are a freakin legend!
Sounds great as always, and i have to look into revalver as well... see if there is a demo.

Great stuff!