new song

Hell Korn's been chugging along in A since before anyone even heard of Meshuggah.

dude... I don't really give a a rats ass if you like meshuggah or not, but get your facts straight.

Meshuggah formed in -85, debuted in 91, and had they're first major hit album in 95.. way before anyone ever heard of Korn.

And comparing the two is like comparing nickleback to katatonia.
the both play 4/4 rock music.
Meshuggah is freejazz for metalheads, nothing less, and freejazz is for musicians by musicians, and about 99% of ppl will hate it.
And yes, for all of you, the intro of forsaker does sound a lot like the intro of future breed machine.
Live with it.

Major hit my ass. Perhaps with a select underground metalhead community, but thats it. They've just recently within the last few albums gained notoriety within the musician community, and will never reach anywhere near the mass appeal Korn had in their heyday. Pantera may have pioneered those groove chug riffs, but Korn certainly made uber down tuned chug popular. I personally highly dislike both the bands, but hey they were influential. If your band all the sudden tunes down to F, and wants to play polyrhythms then I'd say you're on to something.

And honestly I could care less if the band is influenced by Meshuggah. Given the little intro I'm sure they were subconsciously. I'll I'm saying is those riffs aren't specifically Meshuggah riffs.

Some friends of mine don't like the new song. I really wonder why.. They say it's very much like tgcd and not what they expected. I think of it and find out that tgcd is more verse/chorus/verse type and this new song forsaker has two bridges and one solo. Plus the sound is different.. tgcd is more agressive and this one is more melodic i think. Just because the main riff is heavy doesn't mean it's tgcd sounding.. i think there are some "big" expectation differences between me and the ones who doesn't like the song.

And honestly I could care less if the band is influenced by Meshuggah. Given the little intro I'm sure they were subconsciously. I'll I'm saying is those riffs aren't specifically Meshuggah riffs.

Yeah...personally I cannot get into Meshuggah and yet Forsaker is a song I currently cannot stop listening to. So I guess it's that well palyed intro combined with all the other parts that just make it KATATONIA. Meshuggah on a whole...feels messy to me. Scattered with no emotion or structure. The guys at Katatonia KNOW how to write songs.

Some friends of mine don't like the new song. I really wonder why.. They say it's very much like tgcd and not what they expected. I think of it and find out that tgcd is more verse/chorus/verse type and this new song forsaker has two bridges and one solo. Plus the sound is different.. tgcd is more agressive and this one is more melodic i think. Just because the main riff is heavy doesn't mean it's tgcd sounding.. i think there are some "big" expectation differences between me and the ones who doesn't like the song.

I agree with you. The only true resemblence to TGCD is the guitar sound which bridge some parts which lasts about 2 seconds.
It's still the new Katatonia we hear in it and of course it's gonna sound a bit like TGCD.
It's one song...I think this album probably will be much like many of the older albums too. I'm guessing this song is the one song that sounds the most like TGCD. Still...it's a good step forward from TGCD if you ask me.

Major hit my ass. Perhaps with a select underground metalhead community, but thats it. They've just recently within the last few albums gained notoriety within the musician community, and will never reach anywhere near the mass appeal Korn had in their heyday. Pantera may have pioneered those groove chug riffs, but Korn certainly made uber down tuned chug popular.

Well, Meshuggah was big enough to be played on Headbangers Ball in the early 90s. If that counts for anything.

Some of the samples in the teaser on the mini-site sound much more appealing than forsaker. Will be interesting to hear the album

Teasers are nice, but really don't tell me much. I've listened to Forsaker about 20+ times and it just keeps getting better! There's so much going on in this song! It's embedded in my head, since I've been listening to it once before going to bed each night. Awesome tune!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:kickass:

dude... I don't really give a a rats ass if you like meshuggah or not, but get your facts straight.

Meshuggah formed in -85, debuted in 91, and had they're first major hit album in 95.. way before anyone ever heard of Korn.

Korn's self-titled debut was released in 1994. The track "Blind" recieved some pretty heavy airplay.

Just because you're featured on headbangers ball doesn't mean anyone really knows who you are in the scheme of things. First you need to take a look at the Billboard charts. Meshuggah just barely managed to break in since Nothing, and their top chart position is their last cd at #59. Korn has sold over 30 million records, have won two Grammy's, get extremely high to number 1 positions on the Top 200 chart, and got regular airplay on MTV. Not to mention they were directly responsible for spawning an entire generation of of 7 stringers, and down-tuners. They were pretty much responsible for the sub genre known as nu-metal. Also Meshuggah weren't all that down tuned until None, which was released a month after Korn's debut.

I think people are letting their personal feelings cloud the reality of things. This shouldn't even be a discussion.

Im not sure why you dragged Korn into this.
Its not very strange why this song gets associatet with Meshuggah rather than Korn.
Who gives a shit if Korn sold a billion albums more than Meshuggah? Are you really saying you think Anders and Jonas would be more inspired by Korn than Meshuggah?

Sure, Korn hit big with Blind, but in the early 90s, dont you think it was even harder for a band from scandinavia to break through compared with the americans and their labels? The gothenburgh-sound had'nt even had its break at that time.
It was different back then, Headbangers Ball was not what it is today, ie. mainstream shit. And still they made it there.
Its not rocketsience why Korn became more popular than Meshuggah after their first album. Meshuggah was extreme and still are, Korn was heavy and now they are fucking pop.

In 02 Tool brought this Scandinavian band called Meshuggah to the states. Since then Metallica, Deftones, Porcupine Tree, and Tool have all stated their upcoming records were influenced by Meshuggah in some way. That's when their influence really grew. That exact point, and by that point uber downtuned chug had already been popularized for many years, and had spread its way through heavy music. Meshuggah do have their own sound, which bands have tried to emulate. Basically what Korn did for the 7 string Meshuggah are now doing for the 8 string on a much smaller scale. They're just not as prolific as people are trying to make them out to be.

If you still don't want to try to see where I'm coming from I have nothing left to say. It's just sad that this got turned into "omgz you're like saying Korn influenced Katatonia, and Meshuggahz!?! Or because dey more popler dey is more better!?!" Not the point at all people, and it's not rocket science either. The band's heavy metal influences is quite a long list. For example Daniel is a huge Slipknot fan. It's rather pointless to try to break down exactly where the influence came from for this riff because I'm sure it came from all over the place.

It's good that the bands (i.e. Tool/PT) influenced by that downtuned chug had other things going for them or we'd have a shitload of samey gimmick chugging bands, eh?