new song

Well, the very first time I listened to this was WOW! After some ten or more plays it's OMFG, I'm in love! The production, the song structure itself, the dreamy melody beneath the heavy riffs... This is killer and I cannot wait for the whole album! Katatonia season FTW!

Addictive song – incredible production too, especially the guitar tone. Really looking forward to hearing the rest of it.

:headbang: Fuck yeah! It's Katatonia...I already knew it was going to be great but man I gotta say how shocked I was at how great FORSAKER truly is. Definitely looking forward to getting this album.

Did it impress me as much as My Twin did back in the day when the single was released? Not quite...but it is still a kick ass song!

Katatonia, best band out today that NO ONE knows about. These guys deserve to be HUGE. Fucking talented, man.

I don't have internet at home so I have just heard Forsaker, and fuck I'm impressed!!! It's wonderful. My anxiety attacks are going to get worse now until this whole album is released.

After having a couple of days to really let the new song sink in, I have to say that I'm pretty impressed. Love the verses and chorus, as well as the lyrics.

Listened to it lots now, its not growing on me. I dont like it. I didnt like TGCD either though. The bands new direction is not for me.

please elaborate?

Im relectant to say anything as I respect the band so much, so this is just my opinion and certainly not fact.

It seems like alot of the feeling is gone, as if they tried so hard to evolve their sound that its not natural anymore. The vocals do not really match the music, the music is alot more aggressive but the vocals seem too calm almost as if the music wasnt felt when the vocals were being done. The riffs dont really flow, the timing and rythyms feel as if they were thought about a bit too much. The rythyms on TD or LFDGD are much more simple, but feel much more natural and the vocals sound like the were really felt too. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

Im relectant to say anything as I respect the band so much, so this is just my opinion and certainly not fact.

It seems like alot of the feeling is gone, as if they tried so hard to evolve their sound that its not natural anymore. The vocals do not really match the music, the music is alot more aggressive but the vocals seem too calm almost as if the music wasnt felt when the vocals were being done. The riffs dont really flow, the timing and rythyms feel as if they were thought about a bit too much. The rythyms on TD or LFDGD are much more simple, but feel much more natural and the vocals sound like the were really felt too. Thats all I can think of at the moment.

I recpect your opinion but...
I think newer albums are more like discovering intruments in a new way and playing WITH music. Forsaker shows how much drummer can do, there are also fragments for the guitars to experiment. To my mind, if some things from Forsaker appear in the rest songs, it will be good, very harmonic and coherent album.

i would like to reinterpretate what jptk might try to say - the newer stuff is more production based, arrangement-wise etc.

earlier on one didn't care so much for the snare sound or the staccato riffs, one cared for emotion only - the vocals/melodies/choruses, the overall feeling of the song.

DO/TD/LFDGD have "rawer" production but the feeling is definitely there. maybe it's more to albums being recorded on tapes and the warmer sound one got from them; VE/TGCD/TNITND sound much colder and distant.

i'd also like to add that on VE/TGCD/TNITND the guys got much more obssessed with metal - metal shirts, metal riffs, metal albums, metal this and metal that; while during DO/TD/LFDGD they were escaping from all metal, telling us about Slowdive, The Cure, Red House Painters, Portishead and all the indie stuff. hmmmm.

TGCD sound like a more proficient band going through the motions. For example Jonas sounded better than ever, but the passion just wasn't quite there. Same with the guitars, the time signatures were more out there, but it came at a price of their signature melody. However that was kind of their goal when describing the album. Something thats sterile, cold, and distant. I don't blame the production one bit as the production value or lack thereof on some of the older albums always bothered me. Imo high production values can only make something good sound even better, but it also has the adverse effect that if something is lacking it really shows. The point of music is to be able to hear what's going on. Another thing I should point out is that TGCD featured for the first time a distortion channel done right. They rolled back on the preamp gain, and let the master do the heavy lifting. On the other albums the distortion would fizz out, and leave a blanket of static over the songs. Highly annoying. This time around the guitars sound even better so that's always a plus. I only listened to Forsaker once, but what stuck out to me the most was how great the drums sound. They sound full with lots of punch, and really help drive the song. Discouraged1 I don't think you're right about the new album being obsessed with metal. If anything from the TGCD B-sides, what the band has said, and the sample it leads me to believe they're only trying to expand their sound as well as recap some of their signature moments that worked. I think the first track(like most first tracks) is more reminiscent of the last cd to help easy the listener into the record, and is obviously heavy to start the cd out with a bang.