new to forum and have a few questions...

zim18

Feb 11, 2006
well i got into metal a few months after listening to rap for a couple of years...i finally woke up and realized what real music sounded like... so i got into metallica, megadeth, iron maiden, van halen, zeppelin, system, slayer, godsmack, bit of korn, disturbed, rammstein, slipknot, pantera, def leppard, motorhead and basically have a wide range of music....

i am now getting into the more heavy stuff such as slipknot, lamb of god, slayer, nevermore, chimaira, darkest hour and most recently children of bodom....

now the questions...
1.) why is new metal like chimaira / darkest hour so hated especially on these forums? i used to hate this screaming type of shit but have been seduced by the 80s metal influences and heavy riffs that these type of bands serve....

2.) why is slipknot so hated? they make pretty heavy sounding songs with some pretty good sounding heavy guitars, i own all there cds but i am by no means a die hard fan or anything i just like the music they make, although i do think joey is the most overated drummer in the world and after dave lombardo i think joey is a joke

3.) i dont want to start a war or come off as an asshole but why is death metal so popular? i downloaded stuff by cannibal corpse and nile and cant stop laughing while listening...it sounds like the singer put a bucket over his head and just starts yelling random shit while the guitarist and drummer just do crazy notes as fast as fucking possible

anyways i hope to learn a lot of stuff from u guys and discover new bands, as of right now children of bodom are completely wowing me...alexi laiho is a fucking amazing guitarist, i recommend downloading their aces high cover if any of u guys like maiden...he did it very well

ok I recommend that you try listening to black metal, because that is my favorite genre and a lot of people on this forum. As for children of bodom I used to like them when I was new to metal, but know I think they suck, you will for shure find better bands, so if your into 80's metal you would problably like progressive metal, try Opeth and my favorite of the genre is Pagan's Mind.

all I can say is keep listening to those bands and build from there.
If you like Children of Bodom. Then try Norther, Skyfire, Imperanon, Ensiferum, Wintersun....

You like Metallica, and Megadeth. Try Kreator, Exodus, Testament...

You dont like deathmetal (Yet) so try. Inflames, Dark Tranquility...

and of course, try powermetal.
Blind Guardian
Lost Horizon
Helloween
Gamma Ray
Heavenly
Sonata Arctica
Jag Panzer
Edguy
Avantasia
Hibria
Angra

Check out the following acts, who, IN MY HUMBLE OPINION THANK YOU VERY MUCH, are vastly superior to all bands which you currently listen to.

KAYO DOT - Dowsing Anemone With Copper Tongue
MAYHEM - Live In Leipzig
ED GEIN - Judas Goats And Diesel Eaters
FLOTSAM & JETSAM - No Place For Disgrace
BLUT AUS NORD - The Work Which Transforms God
WATCHMAKER - Kill.Fucking.Everything
CROWPATH - Son Of Sulfer
ARCTURUS - Sideshow Symphonies
THE FORSAKEN - Arts Of Desolation
EPHEL DUATH - Pain Necessary To Know
SPAWN OF POSSESION - Cabinet
TRAINING FOR UTOPIA - Plastic Soul Impalement
DISSECTION - The Somberlain
TODAY IS THE DAY - Supernova
THE RED CHORD - Clients
VINTERSORG - The Focusing Blur
7 ANGELS 7 PLAGUES - Jhazmyne's Lullaby
AT THE GATES - With Fear I Kiss The Burning Darkness
BORKNAGAR - Quintessence
INTO THE MOAT - Means By Which The End Is Justified
A LIFE ONCE LOST - A Perfect Artist
CURL UP AND DIE - Unfortunately We're Not Robots
HALO - Guattari (From The West Flows Grey Ash And Pestilence)
MAUDLIN OF THE WELL - Bath

More to come. Get to listening.

to answer your questions from my POV
1. new metal bands like chimaira etc. I personally dislike most of these 'new metal' bands because their music is very generic to me. I find them oh so unoriginal, they all sound too similar to me. Nothing sets them apart from anyone else, and since they weren't the first to do it, I don't have time for them.

2. Slipknot. I hate them with a passion because they are SO overrated, and I just think they sound shit. Nothing about their music interests me, its pretty boring. So my reasons for my hatred are they they are overrated like nothing else by the general public, their drummer is the most overrated drummer and that pisses me off, and their music does nothing to try and win me over.

3. Death metal. Asking why it's popular is just as fruitless as asking why anything is popular. People like it for various reasons. If you're a n00b to metal like you say, don't go listening to Cannibal Corpse or Nile just yet, especially if you laugh at them and can't appreciate their talent and sound.

I recommend you just keep listening to stuff you enjoy. If death metal isn't to your liking at the moment, don't try to listen to more advanced stuff, black metal or stuff like Kayo Dot - it will fly right over your head. I say this because most metal fans start out where you are now, with more or less softer mainstream stuff, then progress to death metal, then to black from which stem elitist attitudes which eventually lead to rejecting Slipknot and Chimera. Your taste should develop over time but don't force it in a certain direction just because others say you should.

P.S : I frequently laugh at Cannibal Corpse and Nile too, so you're not the only one!!

it's pretty normal if you can't get into most death metal or black metal right now, you'll need to be listening to metal for some years to truly enjoy the genres. Cannibal Corpse wasn't really the best start for death metal, but Nile is truly great. I recommend you listen to their latest album, maybe you'll enjoy it. If you don't, start with the basic, less aggressive stuff like dark tranquility, (old) In Flames, old Soilwork, Skyfire, Kalmah, Ensiferum, Wintersun, then move to more aggressive bands like Nile, Decapitated, Psycroptic, etc.

there are some bands in the list that I listened to 2 years ago and I hated them, and now I own all their albums.

MetalAges said:
Please do not post a reply to this thread if you can't make it a decent (read: mature) response. The guy is asking a decent question.

I don't see the problem with what I posted. The bands he has listed suck. End of story. That is why they get bagged out on these forums. It doesn't require any lengthy discussion.

Also note all the replies which you haven't deleted that don't even come near answering the questions put forward. Everyone (well except for Mercy) has simply gone off on tangents talking about bands they like ...

But since we are here turning the questions into another "recommend me some music" thread, check out:
Mortal Sin - Mayhemic Destruction
God Macabre - The Winterlong
Iron Maiden - Powerslave
Aeternus - Beyond the Wandering Moon
Nachtfalke - Doomed to Die
Cynic - Focus

You will note, Byrne, that the guy didn't ask for recommendations. Nor did he want a discussion as to whether the bands he listed sucked. Metalages was right to mod your post.

P.s: I frequently laugh at Nile and Cannibal Corpse.

hibernal_dream said:
You will note, Byrne, that the guy didn't ask for recommendations. Nor did he want a discussion as to whether the bands he listed sucked. Metalages was right to mod your post.

P.s: You're frequently an idiot.

It will take you a few months to "get" extreme metal if you ever do at all. Many people do not ever get past the vocals or complex structures. If you are under 16, extreme metal is probably not for you. You may need to wait until you're older. Nile is a really good band. If you heard any of the last three of their albums and didn't get it at all, then you're not ready for extreme music. Listen to any of In Flames' albums for something that's somewhat extreme, yet accessible.

To everyone else, do you actually like early Soilwork? I strongly disliked A Predator's Portait, and didn't like what I heard of Chainheart Machine. Seems like the band is trying way too hard to be "in your face" and "aggressive." I may be the only person on earth who actually likes Figure Number Five since they've obviously given up the pretense that they are a serious metal band and they're just focusing on writing solid, poppy, structurally identical songs, most of which succeed in that regard.

hibernal_dream said:

Have you read any of the posts in this thread?

zim18 said:
1.why is new metal like chimaira / darkest hour so hated especially on these forums?
2.why is slipknot so hated?
3. why is death metal so popular?

Note the questions asked and my response to them.

Now as for my post, I KNOW he didn't ask for recommendations, that was my point. But seeing as how my original post was deleted which actually answered the aforementioned questions, and everyone elses posts were left which don't answer the questions, I decided to follow suit.

Metal Ages can do what he wants I guess, it is his forum, but my point is that his actions were hypocritical.

zim18 said:
3.) i dont want to start a war or come off as an asshole but why is death metal so popular? i downloaded stuff by cannibal corpse and nile and cant stop laughing while listening...it sounds like the singer put a bucket over his head and just starts yelling random shit while the guitarist and drummer just do crazy notes as fast as fucking possible
I think Cannibal Corpse isn't even so popular on this forum. Nile definitely is, but I don't enjoy their music, although I can see their talent. it's a matter of taste, nothing else.

MasterOLightning said:
To everyone else, do you actually like early Soilwork? I strongly disliked A Predator's Portait, and didn't like what I heard of Chainheart Machine. Seems like the band is trying way too hard to be "in your face" and "aggressive." I may be the only person on earth who actually likes Figure Number Five since they've obviously given up the pretense that they are a serious metal band and they're just focusing on writing solid, poppy, structurally identical songs, most of which succeed in that regard.

A Predator's Portrait is my favourite Soilwork album and the last truly good album they made in my opinion. I love it. I can see where you're coming from with it sounding like maybe they are trying a little too hard, but the mix of catchiness with agression is just perfect to me. On the next album which was produced by Devin Townsend the songwriting went downhill a little, although it's still not a bad album, then in less than a year they released Figure Number Five which to my ears just had maybe 4 good songs on it and a lot of stuff that sounded pretty generic. So they lost me at that point. I haven't listened to Stabbing the Drama yet purely based on the stupid title of the album and the fact that I didn't like FNF. For me they have joined the ranks of In Flames and Arch Enemy and become a band that has run its course and is no longer doing anything worth listening to.

You're not going to change someone's taste by giving them recommendations. I used to like Slipknot when I was like 12 or something, 6-7 years ago. If you'd just told me to listen to Gorguts or something out of the blue, I would've hated it, but these days I love them. Similarly, if a few years ago when I was hardcore into true black metal, you'd made me listen to indie pop, avantgarde hip hop, or post-hardcore or some shit, I would've balked, but now I love that stuff. It's an evolutionary process and you can't force it.

zim18 said:
well i got into metal a few months after listening to rap for a couple of years...i finally woke up and realized what real music sounded like... so i got into metallica, megadeth, iron maiden, van halen, zeppelin, system, slayer, godsmack, bit of korn, disturbed, rammstein, slipknot, pantera, def leppard, motorhead and basically have a wide range of music....

i am now getting into the more heavy stuff such as slipknot, lamb of god, slayer, nevermore, chimaira, darkest hour and most recently children of bodom....

now the questions...
1.) why is new metal like chimaira / darkest hour so hated especially on these forums? i used to hate this screaming type of shit but have been seduced by the 80s metal influences and heavy riffs that these type of bands serve....

Probably because it is watered down, generic stuff that sounds so samey. Being very, very old, I remember REAL thrash bands that knocked the stuffing out of these clowns. Most modern melodic or non-brutal death metal also destroys this stuff. Do yourself a favour, get a copy of say, something relatively easy to get hold of like At The Gates' "Slaughter of the Soul" or The Crowns "Deathrace King", and play them back to back with Chimaira. I guarantee (note, not a guarantee) that you'll answer the question yourself.

2.) why is slipknot so hated? they make pretty heavy sounding songs with some pretty good sounding heavy guitars, i own all there cds but i am by no means a die hard fan or anything i just like the music they make, although i do think joey is the most overated drummer in the world and after dave lombardo i think joey is a joke

Because they take the foundations of extreme metal, dumb them down to an almost insulting level and dress up in masks and stupid costumes. Image does not a great band make. Yes, the image of some genres is pretty stupid (stand up, forest dwelling BM bands), but they also generally have the music to back it up. They're a useful entry level band for those unfortuanate not to have a quality record store near them, but again, after hearing some more quality metal, you probably won't go back to them. Style over substance, my friend.

Probably because it has been around forever, there are a lot of quality bands, and not everyone dives straight in at the deep end. Most metal heads have to progress into death metal - it's a gradual acclimatisation into the more extreme sounds. You aren't going to start digging ultra-brutal death metal like, say, Sons of Slaughter after hearing the popular stuff you've already listed. Then again, nobody says you have to: it's fine not to like a certain style of metal - personally I'm not a huge fan of power metal or black metal, with the odd exception. Maybe, just maybe, you're not cut out for death metal - in which case hey, don't sweat it - we can't all be winners!:headbang:

anyways i hope to learn a lot of stuff from u guys and discover new bands, as of right now children of bodom are completely wowing me...alexi laiho is a fucking amazing guitarist, i recommend downloading their aces high cover if any of u guys like maiden...he did it very well

:wave:

zim18 said:

They play rap influenced power chord ridden disasters that lack anything even resembling talent in writing and playing. The music is, in one word, dumb. Dumb in the sense that it takes nothing to write/play.

2.) why is slipknot so hated? they make pretty heavy sounding songs with some pretty good sounding heavy guitars

Of my comments on the two bands you mentioned before, Slipknot has distilled the very worst of and put into their music. If all it takes to have "good sounding guitars" is down and drop tuning and playing the low strings on the same 4 frets the entire song we all have the greatest guitarists ever.

3.) i dont want to start a war or come off as an asshole but why is death metal so popular?

Good question. I'm not much into the br00tal death area. I stick with the more melodic stuff such as (mentioned above by others) Old In Flames, SuidAkra and even some Bal Sagoth. Death metal vocals take about 5-10 listens to really get past if you really concentrate on the music. In Flames - Jester Race did it for me, maybe for you too. I suggest you try a lot of melodic death metal/gothenburg and start listening to power metal.

SUGGESTIONS:

In Flames - Colony, Clayman, JESTER RACE, Whoracle, Lunar Strain
SuidAkra - All except Command to Charge
Dark Tranquility in general
If you like amazing guitaring listen to Symphony X, the guitarist Michael Romeo is amazing.(Yes, better than Laiho by quite a bit)
Kalmah - Swampsong (Children of Bodom sounding... but better.)
Try Falconer - Scepter of Deception
Try Annihilator
Galloglass - Heavenseeker
Enforsaken
Try Asmegin if you feel adventurous