A few questions regarding the origins of melo-death.

not all melo-death (same as fucking melodic death metal...same goddamn thing) is bad, you just have to find the gems buried in the manure pile.

No it isn't. Get educated on the matter before you say that.

Melo-death = Gothenburg sound (which since this isn't actually death metal needs to be separated from true melodic death)
Melodic Death = Death metal with a greater focus on melody

I understand the distinction Mort makes, but I think it's pretty artificial. Because 'melo-death' is obviously just an abbreviation of what people for many years called 'melodic death metal'. I don't see why it's not 'actually death metal'. I mean, if you discount the shit crossover albums, how is The Karelian Isthmus/I] not death metal? The Spectral Sorrows? The Gallery?

How can you hate "AT The Gates"??? I always thought that Melodic Death Metal started in Gothenberg, with At The Gates being the first and foremost, Dark Traqnility and In Flames

If you're talking about the first melodeath albums, you'd have to include Edge of Sanity's Spectral Sorrows (1993) and even before that, Unorthodox (1992). I have always regarded Edge of Sanity as the trendsetter in that whole movement. And they were the first to play that Opeth style epic melodic death as well. Edge of Sanity were always much closer to true melodic death than say At the Gates, who in hindsight now sound basically like a speed/thrash band with death vocals and the odd melodic touch.

Exactly.