Melodic Death Metal

Manic Ferocity

Nov 5, 2006
Just a thread to talk about melodic death metal. I've recently taken a huge interest in the genre.

Some albums I've been listening to lately:

Eucharist - A Velvet Creation
The Moaning - Blood From Stone
Dark Tranquillity - Skydancer
Dissection - The Somberlain
Dissection - Storm of the Light's Bane
Intestine Baalism - An Anatomy of the Beast
Unanimated - In the Forest of the Dreaming Dead

Dark Tranquillity
Hypocrisy
Kataklysm
Amon Amarth

Those are pretty much the only melodic death metal bands I still listen to.

Cool, I used to be huge into the genre also and have a decent knowledge of Swedish Melodic Death Metal (not the gay shit like Soilwork and In Flames).

Here's a few recommendations for lesser known stuff ranging from good to great:

Cardinal Sin - Spiteful Intents (An absolute must for fans of Dissection's debut)
Embracing - I Bear the Burden of Time
Decameron - My Shadow...
Crown of Thorns - Eternal Death
Miscreant - Dreaming Ice
Sacrilege - Lost in the Beauty you Slay

Edge of Sanity: unorthodox,the spectral sorrows,purgatory afterglow (old school/melodic)
Bloodbath: resurrection through carnage,nightmares made flesh(^)
Necrophobic: the nocturnal silence(^)
Amorphis: the karelian isthmus
Hypocrisy: abducted

Yeah, Decameron and Cardinal Sin rule. I'll have to check out the others. I admittedly like The Lunar Strain by In Flames but the rest of their stuff is pretty terrible.

I need more Melodic Death Metal. I want to check out Hypocrisy next. There is this other band that has KILLER tracks on their MySpace, but I can never think of their name as it wasn't a catchy name. They were gret though. I don't think they were purely considered Melodic Death Metal though. All their songs sounded quite Doomy. Some of them slow with clean vocals & some of them the complete opposite. Best band I've stumbled across on MySpace in forever.

I dislike melodic death metal now. I use to be huge on it,

bands i can still somewhat tolerate.

Amon Amarth
Dark Traquillity
Insomnium

Yeah, Decameron and Cardinal Sin rule. I'll have to check out the others. I admittedly like The Lunar Strain by In Flames but the rest of their stuff is pretty terrible.

Lunar Strain is at least passable. I'm not much of a fan, but I don't hate it. Do check out the others - in particular that Embracing album. It's probably the best on the list. Avoid everything else they've released like the fucking plague, though.

ETERNAL TEARS OF SORROW is the band I was trying to think of. From what I heard I'm really interested in picking up some of their stuff. I don't think they're 100% Melodic Death though.

I loathe Soilwork, In Flames, Arch Enemy and Scar Symmetry.

Dark Tranquillity are excellent and get unfairly lumped in with the above bands. The Gallery is my favourite melodic death album.

My other favourites:
Disillusion: Back to Times of Splendor
Insomnium: Above the Weeping World
Amorphis: Elegy, The Karelian Isthmus
Edge of Sanity (underrated): Crimson, Purgatory Afterglow, The Spectral Sorrows
Dies Irae (Mexico): Naive
Dissection: The Somberlain, SotLB
At the Gates: Red in the Sky...
Amon Amarth: various
Orphaned Land: Mabool, El Norra Alila, Sahara

I need to check out Intestine Baalism...

Just downloaded Amorphis-Silent waters, and yeah im liking it. iT sounds really good. I think im going to check out the other stuff as well.

Currently listening to:
Dark tranquility
Divinity
Hypocrisy

Check out these albums.

Edge of Sanity - Crimson and Purgatory Afterglow.
Arsis - A Celebration of Guilt and A diamond for disease.
At the Gates - Terminal spirit disease.
Carcass - Heartwork.
Fragments of Unbecoming - Sterling Black Icon.

Even people who have built up negative opinions on In Flames due to their recent material should check out Lunar Strain. It's got some pretty interesting folk elements and it's mostly not gay.

If you threw blastbeats over it instead of rock beats, a lot of it would pass for black metal.

In Flames are my favourite band, i love their material up to and including Clayman but everything after is pretty horrible. I decided against listing them due to the negative comments towards them.

Anyway, check out Subterranean by In Flames, i think it's much better than Lunar Strain even if it is an EP.